Hearst to Longlac

Luther

I'm not certain of their exact route, but if you're truly interested I could put you in touch with a crew member.

I'm sure a lot of folks wuld like to hear of their route - provided they want to divulge.

I'm wonderin' if they had a shuttle at some point? The routes outta Dubre had to be swampy this summer! :wtf:

I've been thru between Mooseland & Hornepayne a few times since 2000. It seemed different this year. A lot more open & running old logging roads.

You mean it's open in the summer? I thought the Kabi was frozen year round.

Through there in the summer?

Actually - I guess I'm just s'posing on the Kabi. I've rode to and staged out of Dubre a number of times from 99 to 01 or 02 in the summer. Not 100% sure that I made it up to the Kabi or not? So I guess I kant say fer sure on stability. ???

But one clue that I have is that I shoved one or both feet (depends on who you ask - but one was definately getting cooling off. ;) ) through the slush at that crossing the night of 12/27/96 while I was debating on making first tracks @ -30*.

So - armed with that knowledge - yeah - I'd prolly take the bet that it DOES thaw at some point in the yr. :coffeenose:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your timing is actually scarey. My husband was out there yesterday and they were working on putting up signs, etc. They say they're actually going to groom along the highway around Flynn Lake and Peanut Creek to avoid all that mess this year. Won't that be nice?

Glad you're thinking snow. We just had a group of quads from Michigan who staged in Sault Ste. Marie and rode up this way, spent the night and headed out this morning towards Hornepayne. They'll do 2000 kms this trip. Awesome....

Looking forward to seeing more than 96 sleds this year. :wavey:

Get the signs up and make sure the sauna is good and hot. The group from Buffalo will be coming to have Sauna again this year. We'll be starting in Timmins this year. Can we make it to Klotz Lake from Timmins in a day?

I sent an email to OFSC suggesting that they reroute the trail around those problem areas, it looked like there was plenty of room for a trail beside the highway. Another note from our trip last year; there was a groomed trail into Calstock for those that need gas. The General Store was closed but Norm's Gas Bar was open, it's just a short ride down the road once you're in Calstock.

It's time to start thinking snow.

Can we make it to Klotz Lake from Timmins in a day?

It's 309 miles according to my chart.

Another note from our trip last year; there was a groomed trail into Calstock for those that need gas. The General Store was closed but Norm's Gas Bar was open, it's just a short ride down the road once you're in Calstock.

It's time to start thinking snow.

Cross the train tracks & turn right. 3/4s of a mile on the left.

It's 309 miles according to my chart.

Another note from our trip last year; there was a groomed trail into Calstock for those that need gas. The General Store was closed but Norm's Gas Bar was open, it's just a short ride down the road once you're in Calstock.

Cross the train tracks & turn right. 3/4s of a mile on the left.

What the heck are you asking ? :confused:

You guys can make it from East Tonawanda to Klotz Lake in a day even with no snow from Cheektowaga to Oro Medonte. :!:

:roll::roll:

But 1st they have to get past the fire trucks blocking the intersection @ Transit & Broadway.

You guys can make it from East Tonawanda to Klotz Lake in a day even with no snow from Cheektowaga to Oro Medonte. :!:

But 1st they have to get past the fire trucks blocking the intersection @ Transit & Broadway.

Irv mentioned there would be Film at 11 :lol:

Looks like you guys know us pretty well.

309 miles. Is that through Hearst or Chapleau?

Looks like you guys know us pretty well.

309 miles. Is that through Hearst or Chapleau?

That's thru Hearst.

I've got to admit STG that AO asked a question he already new the answer to, we can do a 300 mile day no problem even if we start in East Tonawanda :P

Thread Hijack:

A friend who I grew up w/ in Oshawa (now living in North Bay) was driving his tractor trailer thru the Buffalo area w/ a trainee from northern Ontario. They came upon a house fire & the fire trucks were blocking the road.

He told the trainee that he never figured he'd see this. The trainee couldn't figure it out. My friend said that growing up watching Eyewitness News, the lead story was always a 3 alarm blaze....

Ya revrnd they get there fare share of those around here, all the more reason to be in northern ontario.

Hey Snowberg ! Hope all is well with you. What is your route going to be this year? What trails are you going to be on, where are you going to be stopping?

Ya revrnd they get there fare share of those around here, all the more reason to be in northern ontario.

Hey Snowberg ! Hope all is well with you. What is your route going to be this year? What trails are you going to be on, where are you going to be stopping?

We don't have a plan yet. We're not doing one of those crazy 1600 mile loops. I think last years ride from French River to Bruce Mines might have taught us a lesson, that was a tough day.

We will use Timmins as a base and do a few smaller loops from there. We will be going to Longlac and maybe we'll head to North Bay as well. We are thinking of starting it right after the "Ride" weekend.

Where are some nice places to stay near Timmins? Are there any places that feature fine Canadian cultural dancing?

AO is our event planner, we just do as we are told :lol: STG, once my new ride comes in i'm going to do my best to keep up with you this year, hope you have your mirrors clean :wavey:

Where are some nice places to stay near Timmins? Are there any places that feature fine Canadian cultural dancing?

Sorry but the "Maytag" was torn down a couple of years ago.

Do you not have my motel list? The only motel in Timmins that hasn't got raving reviews is the Ramada. Pretty well all the others are OK & have sled access other than the Senator.

Thanks revrnd, I have one but its probably 5 years old. When does your newest version go up, so we can be looking for it.

An interim version is now up:

http://www.sleddersvision.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=214&st=0#entry40695

You'll have to sign up to download it. After I get the 2010 maps in October, I'll finalize the lists.

Sorry but the "Maytag" was torn down a couple of years ago.

Do you not have my motel list? The only motel in Timmins that hasn't got raving reviews is the Ramada. Pretty well all the others are OK & have sled access other than the Senator.

I have the planner, I use it every year. We're looking for a nice place that has good trail access, I'll check the guide and post any questions I have.

I let's hope it starts getting cold. Hope to see you guys at "The Ride" this year.

Hi guys! Time to start thinking snow :wavey: - that's what I'm doing today anyway. Good to hear you boys are planning to head this way again. Michael just got done cleaning his sauna - I'm sure it will be ready to rock and roll when you're here! We have a new cabin this year too - an additional 6 or 7 beds with inside facilities and everything! Too bad business was so slow this year, but we're counting on the economy picking back up a bit for the yanks. We're also working (notice how I said "we") on a new website this year. I'm really excited about it - we'll be loading videos of all the great happenings around camp.

Let me know when you get to finalize some dates. I'd be happy to do what I can on this end for you - you know that. Bob, your letters to OFSC must have helped - especially for them to be working already! Thanks...Hope this summer has been kind to everyone in OC land. We'll be waiting on ya. :woot:

Hey Toni where did you put the new cabin :?: sounds great, are you going to let us in it or are we going to be in our favorite spot (next to you) :D

Archived