Hearst to Longlac

Luther

Hearst to Longlac. Has anyone done this this year? What is the distance from Hearst to Klotz lake? Planing on the week of 2/23. Any suggestions on gas. Is it possible to go from Longlake, Hornpayne to Hearst in one day via Hilsport? I'm thinking it will be a long day, slow from Longlac to Hornpayne.

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not done the ride this year but the trail has been groomed. You can contact Toni at Klotz Lake and ask if anyone has been through or try Mark at The Hillsport Wilderness Lodge, kmsteph@hillsportwilderness.com, he is the President of the Longlac club. He will give up to date information. He can also tell you about the trail from Hornepayne to Hillsport, portions of it are not open yet. I have heard that some are riding the trial though.

A107A is a great ride after it has been groomed, we rode it last year and plan to do it again in about 2 weeks. It is about 110 miles from Hearst to Klotz Lake. You can get off the trail in Calstock and run the side of the road, about 4km, to get gas at the General Store in Calstock, that's a real treat. It's about 30 miles from Hearst to Calstock.

I think the ride from Hearst to Longlac via Hillsport would be more than 250 miles, it would be a very long day, some of "A" trail is slow going, not like running from Hearst to Cochrane. I recommend staying in Hillsport for the night. Not sure of your route, but if you want a long day you can go from Longlac to Cochrane in a day, it's about 330 miles.

Good Luck,

We're hauling to Cochrane this Saturday & will be running that stretch next Monday. We'll be back home on the 22nd. I think Toni is away next week, but we'll leave word about the condition of A107A.

I've pared down my northern Ontario GPS file to just the area between Cochrane & Geraldton (including Hillsport & Hornepayne). It's posted in the GPS forum.

According to the 2009 Dist' 15 map, TOP A stays north of Hwy. 11 & bypasses Strickland. That's too bad as we've always enjoyed the "horseshoe" stretch of trail south of 11.

Hi Guys - I'm here now. I just had to take the granddaughter back to Ohio, but I'm home for the winter now. We had some guys come in from Hearst for the Greenstone Poker Run over the weekend. I talked with them on Friday and they said there was a little open water but given the language barrier, I couldn't understand quite where. I know the culvert was placed at Peanut Creek, but there were a couple of issues there. He said the trails were in pretty good shape, but I'm not sure when the groomer is scheduled next. They were supposed to groom last week, but I'll check and will adivse.

I'll do some checking around and find out some conditions. You might want to go to http://www.snowmobiling.greenstone.ca - they could have some updated information too. Good luck guys - the soup's on and the snow is here.....

Hello guys. Okay, Peanut Creek with the new culvert seems to be working. The guys said there's a little water, but no big deal. The problem is now what we affectionately call the "Duck Pond" where there is open water and you cannot cross without lots of help. :wtf: They're going around - riding alongside the highway - for about 1 mile. Not too bad. Patrick at Greenstone Snowmobile.ca will be posting some maps that Michael & I have marked up to give everybody an idea of exactly where these places are. As soon as they're posted, I'll give everyone a "heads-up". Thanks - happy trails....

Toni, where in relation to Klotz Lake is this "Duck Pond". Is it east or west of your place (we're coming from the east)?

We have a GPS & the track for A107A. If you could describe it in relation to any lakes or rivers, @ least we'd know in advance where to detour.

Toni, that would be greatly appreciated. I looked on the GPS map & I have a rough idea of where you're talking about.

Here's the map.

136_ca4585204bb428d1c82c17afce0017b7

Hi Dave - I know there is some open water, but I haven't been able to pin down exactly where. I think it's still the Duck Pond they're talking about. Revrnd will probably see this post and can let you know too as he just came through yesterday. I am going out there tomorrow and will check it out for myself and will definitely report back. As far as gas - we only carry regular Husky gasoline. The Shell station in Longlac usually carries premium, but it's kind of hard to find around here.

Hope to see on around the 23rd. Try and give me a heads up so I know to keep an eye out for you guys. Are you coming from the Hearst area?

Looking forward to the report Toni. We'll be riding in from Marathon, Manitouwadge and Hillsport the 23rd. We had planned on riding up through Terrace Bay and Beardmore but the trail from Gravel River to Beardmore has not been groomed.

See you Monday afternoon,

Bob

I'm not sure how many would say that it's good news to have me along... but yes I'll be there. The back is mostly better. We will be meeting with the guys from Ohio in Bruce Mines, they're going to ride with us to your place, they won't stay the second day at Club Klotz (their loss). So we'll have 7 arriving Monday, 2 will depart on Tuesday the rest of us will depart for Cochrane on Wednesday. I'll be giving you a call tomorrow or Thursday, I'm sure we'll be parched when we arrive.

Looking forward to the visit,

Okay, glad to hear you're coming - it IS good news, regardless of what you might think. I'm warming up the rotisierie (sp) tonight on some folks from Indiana and Michigan - they're doing the loop tomorrow. I'll have it down to a science by the time you get here....Yum....Heading off tomorrow for town and supplies. Send me an email tonight, if possible, with anything (brand) you might need and I'll have it here. Did you have oil shipped this year? I can pick that up for you.

No oil this year, I have that covered. Now as for the hydration supplies, can you get 2 Export and 2 Canadian? Can we have the beef roast for supper #1 and the chicken for day 2?

You're the best,

Okay - that's sirloin beef roast night one, and chicken night two. I'll have the brews on ice and snow in the Thirst Aid Kit when you arrive and will have some extra just in case. I'll be sure to post some information about the conditions of the trail going east tomorrow. Gaby groomed Nakina to Geraldton today and is doing Nakina to Longlac tomorrow on the loop. Lord only knows when 107A will be groomed again. You know - same old story, different day. Talk to you later. Thanks again for coming to see us.

Okay - that's sirloin beef roast night one, and chicken night two. I'll have the brews on ice and snow in the Thirst Aid Kit when you arrive and will have some extra just in case. I'll be sure to post some information about the conditions of the trail going east tomorrow. Gaby groomed Nakina to Geraldton today and is doing Nakina to Longlac tomorrow on the loop. Lord only knows when 107A will be groomed again. You know - same old story, different day. Talk to you later. Thanks again for coming to see us.

And people ask me why I spend the big bucks on trail permits and sled in Canada...

:woot:

And people ask me why I spend the big bucks on trail permits and sled in Canada...

:woot:

Canada's best kept secret. It worth well more than the cost of the permit. You get to meet people all over the Province that are willing to help and that you want to help. I received information today that those that provided it knew I would not travel in their area. They were concerned for my safety and love of the sport not only my dollars. These are, for the most part volunteers, they continue to amaze me. These are some of the best people in the world and this is the best snowmobiling on the planet. Do your homework, don't criticize those that are making this available, and enjoy every minute.

Well said Akron Orange, and one more thing. My thanks to all of the volunteers for what they have done with the limited help and funds they have available to them. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be riding a couple thousand miles every February.

Oh ya Toni this is for you :hugs:

See ya soon :wavey:

Thanks guys- it's people like you that make us want to do this. Too bad I can't convince everyone it works that way. We have the greatest job in the world - having people visit us on their holidays and vacations - having a good time. People everywhere would love to have this kind of a job so we're blessed but at least we know it! Ride safe and have a great time. The kettle's on....

Okay, here's some bad news. Michael and a friend of ours staying here for a week of sledding & fishing went out to the Duck Pond. You are DEFINITELY NOT going to cross there - anyone considering it would be nuts. The water is running VERY fast (even though it's pretty shallow - 1.5 ft.) and the trail crosses it at an angle. There's a rusted up culvert in the creek, cut in half - the other half is up towards the bank on the other side so you not only would be jumping uphill, you'll also need to thread the needle between a rusty culvert and a rock. Because of the frigid temps today (-30) they didn't go to Peanut Creek, but with the limited snow, I imagine there's a problem there too. Also, I've heard from some guys from Indiana and some others coming through that the construction at the steel bridge (Pagwa) is a mess and there are no signs directing anyone where to go. You're running down the logging road and jumping on the pipeline again, but no signs there either. The 107A was last groomed mid-January when there was 12 inches of snow. Now that we have a little more snow (not much), and the blistery winds, you cannot even see where the trail is/was. The snow is almost non-existant up here, so I don't imagine they'll even be grooming 107A again.

Unless you're willing to run the side of the highway (and it's plowed and graded right down to the gravel) for at least 3 miles, avoiding Peanut Creek and the Duckpond, then you shouldn't head this way. Ditch-banging it for 3 miles is also not a good idea. I hate saying this because it cuts us off from everyone and we'll not see another sled all year, but we don't want anyone getting hurt or having their sleds ruined just for a ride out this way. We will keep our eyes and ears open for changes, but don't count on it. I heard a rumour that there's a meeting to consider asking OFSC to permanently close A107A for good - I think because it's too much trouble and lack of manpower/money. We would certainly appreciate any comments you folks can send regarding it's closure. Maybe we need to think about going south for the winter instead of staying up here in our beautiful, snowy wilderness. I would hate that. Feeling lonelier my the minute..... :whatever:

Archived