Orillia District Snowmobile Club - Input on Trails

fnewton

Greetings...I am VP of the Orillia District Club. We have recently (this season) undergone significant changes to our executive and club. The good news is the positive response with respect to permit sales and volunteer involvement. However, at the end of the day, the most important test is the riding experience we deliver to sledders who visit our 350 Km of trails. We operate 3 groomers and are looking for input that will help us maximize our grooming schedules.

We will be installing SPOT GPS units on our groomers in Feb and look forward to providing tracking links through our website (

Welcome back to the Board Fraser - it's great to see you again !!

And thanks VERY MUCH for extending your grooming up B into SnowCrest Country; we really do appreciate it !!

I love heading south on B from Kahshe to Orillia for a lunch stop and then trails home back up the west side of Couchie.

It's great that the clubs are working together.

Hope to see more of you on the board and hopefully we'll meet on the trails this year !

The "B" has certainly been a pain in the @#%, however, it looks like we finally have a grip on it (hoping the BR180 holds together for the season). Our future depends on a solid relationship with clubs to the North...we need to work on the "loops" that so many of us enjoy on SAT/SUN.

I recently had the pleasure of taking B from Hawkestone east. If you're responsible for that section, bravo.

The fact that you're asking folks for their thoughts on your trail system speaks plenty.

Hope to travel the Couch section in Feb.

you must be packing

He is.

:lol:

There's probably a few in this group whose electronics, auto or otherwise, raise serious questions with the authorities.

I refuse to name names. 8-)

HI...if by "machine" you mean your sled, you must be packing some serious electronics.

By machine, I mean computer. Yes, I carry a computer with me when I'm on the trails. :ugeek:

In my spare time I have been working on an application that uses accelerometer and GPS data to report to other riders what the current trail conditions are like, over the internet. Being able to show where the groomers are would be a very valuable addition.

HI...if by "machine" you mean your sled, you must be packing some serious electronics. We are shooting to provide mapquest type data...online...withing 6 hours of grooming to aid in trip planning.

Hi Fraser.. Welcome to the forum.... I see you met skidooer :rotflmao::rotflmao: I hope someday he runs the OFSC!!!! He has a lot of very good ideas for our sport and is the forum's Bill Gates...

Hope to see you out on the trails someday.. Rick

HI...if by "machine" you mean your sled, you must be packing some serious electronics.

By machine, I mean computer. Yes, I carry a computer with me when I'm on the trails. :ugeek:

In my spare time I have been working on an application that uses accelerometer and GPS data to report to other riders what the current trail conditions are like, over the internet. Being able to show where the groomers are would be a very valuable addition.

Hey Adam... It would be real cool if we could have trackers on our sleds and we can see where are riding buddies are.. The ones we are riding with or anyone else in our riding buddy list.

Shine on you crazy diamond!!! Very interesting spare time work!!!!!

Hi Fraser,

I just wanted to say that the reroutes neccessary to go around the crops has been a nice change in scenery and might help to slow some down as well.It's good to see the stretch between the 9th and 10th back and the new stretch between the 9th and 8th? I believe is a nice change.Overall the trails have shaped up nicely and are quite hard now.Maybe we'll see some late march early april riding this year.

Kerry

Hi Fraser,

I am on the Snowcrest Board and I have had a number of discussions with John regarding B trail. Thanks for helping us out.

I rode B trail from Riley Lake, all the way to Couch. Our section was in pretty good shape to the beaver pond and the part you've groomed for us was pretty good too. Your section from the Black River down to Fairgrounds road is much improved over last year. Good work. I also noticed a number of re-routes from the Hawthorne Grill over towards Couch. Again, much needed re-routes around the problem areas. I also passed your BR heading North on Sunday am. It was laying a great ribbon behind it.

Overall, the improvements are noticeable and B trail was in good shape.

I have one question. What happened to B104 (I think that is the #)? We stopped at B & 208 and I said, what happened to B104? Is there a trail missing that is on the map? Just curious.

We rode 204 from the north end of Couch up to SC 15. 204 was pretty good. How's the re-route of Cambrian Line going? Will it be completed and opened this winter?

Feel free to contact me any time as I am your neighbour to the north.

Hey Fraser cheers, Glen D here from the sign shop. Thanks for helping out on the B, rode over there last friday afternoon to see what trees needed to be taken out and must have just missed your groomer as it appeared to have just come up to the swamp.

Cheers and stop by if your around my office.

I have one question. What happened to B104 (I think that is the #)? We stopped at B & 208 and I said, what happened to B104? Is there a trail missing that is on the map? Just curious.

You missed it too? Ontariof7 and I rode that section last night and completely missed B104. In fact, in previous years, I don't recall ever finding that intersection without already being on B104. We ended up taking 208 south to B104. Half way through it became very rough, at which point I realized this trail must be closed because there weren't any signs of recent groomer activity. A check today reveils my assumption was right so sorry for tresspassing.

Wednesday, Ontariof7 and I ran from Lagoon City to Alcona, the Orilla trails were very good considering they obviously hadn't been groomed since before/during the weekend. That said the 203 (rail-line) out of Orillia was very rough.

My biggest complaint would be lack of signage in a few areas. The intersection of B and B104 seems to be near impossible while riding B, and the road sections along 204 need signage along the roads to indicate you are still on trail. It's very easy to miss a the trail while riding on the road at the best of times, had we been riding that section at night we would still be there today. I should mention, the snowbanks along those roads are very high right now so they may have been buried. Other than these issues the trails have been good, hope to ride them more this year.

Adrian

Hey Adam... It would be real cool if we could have trackers on our sleds and we can see where are riding buddies are.. The ones we are riding with or anyone else in our riding buddy list.

Shine on you crazy diamond!!! Very interesting spare time work!!!!!

How could we hide on you then? :crazy:

Keep up the good work fnewton!! :wavey:

Greetings...Thank you all for taking time to respond...keep it coming! I am sharing with our volunteer groomer coordinators and we will take action accordingly.

Some responses to questions: We have invested a large chunk of money and time into the B trail from East side of Couchinching to our friends in Gravenhurst...much better for sure. I think another year of fine tuning and this will be an outstanding ride. It was a killer on our BR180 last year...beat the $#$% out the beast.

We refer to the B104/208/B as the Bermuda Triangle. We were delayed in getting the B104 open (to Carden) due to hang up in getting land use paper work and some heavy tree clearing. We have not opened the 208 (or 209). Focusing our effort on the primary routes (most of us are getting tired of cutting wood, etc... Rumour has it that going for a sled ride is fun...mutual agreement that we are all going to get some riding in...NOTE: Our club social ride this coming Tuesday starts at Wild Wings-Atherly Narrows around 6:00). You should now find the B104 is in good shape...I will mention the signage...I look for the dip in the trail.

The infamous 204 and the seemingly "100 KM" Cambrian Road Run. My son and I ran it the other night. The section of trail from the B105C (Railway bed) is a great run through hardwood bush, plantation pine, fields...and then, the road run begins. The good news...we have broken a new trail that reduces the road run down to 1+ Km. There is a lot of work to do to get the trail wide enough for a groomer...however, optomistic that it wil all but kick you out onto Sparrow Lake. A couple of our member ( :woot: Barry and Ed) have done an amazing job of breaking the trail through...a group of us rode it a couple of weekends ago...when we get it done, I suggest the 204 is going to be a destination ride...amazing bush, lots of twists and turns, tree tunnels, etc... Not sure if we have enough time/energy to get it officially open this year...fingers crossed.

Today we were on the B trail east side up to Kashe and turned off at trail#4 Snowcrest riders trail was great as was 204 on the way back save for cambrian line but at least they didn't plow off the shoulder so the sliders will live for another day.Saw Barry at the Literacy ride.Was hoping to check out the new trail but I guess it didn't get groomed and i didn't see where it was going in.

First time on the east side this year nice changes,getting away from the long bend was a good idea.Safer crossing that road at right angles.

Snowcrest 4&15 still a little thin with snow and lumpy in the bush but a nice change of pace just the same.

Awesome day for a ride!

Kerry

Hi Kerry...talked with Barry at the Big Brothers/Sisters ride this afternoon. They pulled a small drag through the new section today...unless you know where the entrances are...you will have a tough time finding it.

I am attaching a link that shows last nights groomer run on the B105c and B205 (via Spot).

Thanks Fraser!

Kerry

Excellent, thanks for the hard work.

Archived