Magpie - is it runable

FishHog

BTW - the Ministry of Tourism bills this part of the Magpie canoeing route as "a rare look into the tundra type terrain of the far north". (Or some similar werding.)

Gotta hand it to the PR types for polishing a turd eh? :coffeespit:

I was through that area in the truck back in '03 and I thought that the area looked like it was already showing signs of recovery - only 4 yrs after closure... Of course it will take decades to recover fully.... :coffeenose:

Not sure if the plume kill issue had eny bearing on the closure of the mill? (Needed to update the emissions and wasn't werth it?) I would be interested to know.

Also gotta watch out fer antique mining equip hiding under the snow out there along the trail as well.

i was launched big time off a hump i didn't see up there. I came down on top of the sled when it was on it's side with the runner board right on my tailbone. ouch.!

I've also been lost on the river in snow storms as well as being lost on the fume kill on snowy days. Many locals have done the same and respect that whole area.

I worked for a year on that river when they flooded it and walked every foot of shore line and have been playing in the fume kill for over 20 years and can still get lost so you can understand my shock when tourists in the area tell me they are headed out that way on an overcast or snowy day. :crazy:

I won't. :umno:

Oh yeah, In a Snow storm and No stakes...... for get it... I got Lost a Few times then your riding down the lake cant see $hit lol and Sudenly a Big Mountain is in your face and.....oh man there slush....... giver Hell and turn around... wronf turn. That's No Fish bay for Yah lol It Claimed alot of Sled in the slush that bay.

What exactly are the hazards of the Magpie reservoir ?

This a pic I pirated off of Luc a few yrs ago when he was out riding with Supertrax Magazine.

MagpieRiverMushroomRev.jpg

I have a chumm from Manitouwadge that ran that river ONCE, and was totally freaked out! He said that he had to climb this big ice wall and when he got to the top there was a small gap (I assume prox a foot?) and then the ice wall went down the other side. He could see open water down that well. He was changing shorts!

I personally have never seen that or the mushroom in the pic - but I haven't been up that way in a coons age. I HAVE however seen the ice all jammed up on a sand bar. (And there were stumps in that mess too fer sure!) There was an ice ramp up prolly 8' and then a busted up land mine field another 100 meters, and then a ramp down to the lower ice once again.

DOO NOT OVERDRIVE YOUR VIEW!

Day OR night!

YEah that was a nice Pic. That was a Nice ride, we Where with Supertrax Mag and Snowtrax TV that day. We Piked up the sled and put it up there. Once the Photo shoot was done, we started to leave and the Guy from the MAg that Owed the sled Said. "Hey Help Me get it off" We said " Nope get it Down yourself" lol He sat on it and Jumped off...... It was cool. Perfect landing.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to ride from White River to Wawa w/o running the Magpie? Our trip next month will be the 1st time thru that area & near the end of our day from Manitouwadge to Wawa. I'd rather not have to navigate a tricky area (especially a body of water) that is completely new to me, especially if it may be dusky or snowing.

An experience on a lake years ago near Nobel has tempered my thrill to run lakes I'm not overly familiar w/.

An experience on a lake years ago near Nobel has tempered my thrill to run lakes I'm not overly familiar w/.

Lake of Bays did that to me.. Have fun on your trip.. Are you staying at Sled North when your in Manitouwadge

Is it possible to ride from White River to Wawa w/o running the Magpie? Our trip next month will be the 1st time thru that area & near the end of our day from Manitouwadge to Wawa. I'd rather not have to navigate a tricky area (especially a body of water) that is completely new to me, especially if it may be dusky or snowing.

Yes

Just follow the D trail

Wawa - Dubreuilville - White River

The Magpie was one of my favourite parts of our ride up there last year....if the weather is nice you should really check it out. The whole area is VERY cool. I took a pile of pics...but this one was my fav.

We like the ride so much we're doing it again this year...but with acouple different guys....

702_62f191f80f41959066a7ce4128079c83

Tell me you were on quads yet on that trip?

Yunno - I aint sure I ever looked over the dam?

I HAVE went over the train bridge - and yes - that moves quite swiftly eh? :?

Tell me you were on quads yet on that trip?

Nope...that was Feb 23 of last year. Lots of ice north of the dam....

Archived