Magpie - is it runable

FishHog

hog, we ran the magpie 2 weeks ago, it is safe to run, just mind your speed in the normal ice heave areas.

mind yourself at far end of the 100 mile loop. near where the two roads come together, in the swamp the dub groomer is stuck in the muck. might have to close one side of that loop till they can get it out. they will be plowing the long side (simpson rd). then the snow will have to build back up to open the whole loop.

be safe, have fun! ski

dress warm if you are going up this weekend. the night time temps are looking brutal. dont take any chances get in before o' dark thirty. ski

we are not plowing the road for now. we are trying option 1 first.

as of 100 miles loop, that trail loop is groomed but if you do it be carefull when getting at km 85 thats where it is stock.

As of Magpie it's at you own risk.

next weekend is going to be awesome. gord, you ready to take a few days off the groomer, and ride the smaller unit. need to get to the back country and have some fun. ski

as the water level drops it makes huge humps in the ice that on a cloudy day can be very hard to see. i know, i hit one at about about 50. i was lucky it was really smooth and i just jumped over it. i never even saw it until i landed. i have seen pictures and heard stories of people who were not as lucky. http://nlmotel.com/images/magpie_mushroom.jpg

What exactly are the hazards of the Magpie reservoir ?

This a pic I pirated off of Luc a few yrs ago when he was out riding with Supertrax Magazine.

MagpieRiverMushroomRev.jpg

I have a chumm from Manitouwadge that ran that river ONCE, and was totally freaked out! He said that he had to climb this big ice wall and when he got to the top there was a small gap (I assume prox a foot?) and then the ice wall went down the other side. He could see open water down that well. He was changing shorts!

I personally have never seen that or the mushroom in the pic - but I haven't been up that way in a coons age. I HAVE however seen the ice all jammed up on a sand bar. (And there were stumps in that mess too fer sure!) There was an ice ramp up prolly 8' and then a busted up land mine field another 100 meters, and then a ramp down to the lower ice once again.

DOO NOT OVERDRIVE YOUR VIEW!

Day OR night!

Ouch ! Ceyhoopers brought in a cougar years ago that almost looked that bad. As for the mushroom that could easily cause an out of body experience :shock: Some how I doubt that they drove that sled up there.

ive seen your buddies "wall" a few times ox. usually it is late in the year, on the bay where the magpie village is. (where all the camps are about 2 miles south of where you get off to go to dub, on dub's side.) the stump field gets a huge water drop in the spring just before break up. the gap is about a foot to 3 feet along the rim, the berm is anywhere from 15-25 feet tall. and yes you can look straight down into the abyss and see an air gap then the water.

the water is held to its highest point in the late fall/early winter where it freezes. the hyrdo dam at steephill rd releases water all winter to generate power for the region. the water level is dropped to it's lowest point early in the spring so when the ice and snow melts, it brings the water to it's normal level for the spring and summer.

this avoids flooding by controling the water level. as the water drops, the ice follows albiet alot slower. early in the season you can run the magpie wide open without any obstacles for the most part. but after feb first (or earlier if the water is dropping fast) all bets are off, and you have to watch where you ride. as the water level drops, stumps, rocks, and sandbars pop up. ice heaves, and large ramps are everywhere. you cannot trust the ice day to day. what wasnt there yesterday is there today. it is very dangerous especially at dusk and dawn, or after dark on ultra cold nights where the snow dust and ice fog hang in the air.

the rumor is, there will be anywhere from 30-40" of ice on the resivior, then an air gap, then the water, as the water level is lowered for power generation.

it is very pretty down there, and a great second route, short cut or loop to use BUT, it deserves ALOT more respect than it gets.

be safe out there. ski

i was launched big time off a hump i didn't see up there. I came down on top of the sled when it was on it's side with the runner board right on my tailbone. ouch.!

I've also been lost on the river in snow storms as well as being lost on the fume kill on snowy days. Many locals have done the same and respect that whole area.

I worked for a year on that river when they flooded it and walked every foot of shore line and have been playing in the fume kill for over 20 years and can still get lost so you can understand my shock when tourists in the area tell me they are headed out that way on an overcast or snowy day. :crazy:

I won't. :umno:

...when they flooded it

So the dam and res are fairly new then?

We haven't had eny engine eering projects below 48th like that since the late 60's prolly...

No nucs since 3 Mile Island and no dams since Grand Teton...

OK - Grand Teton was mid 70's... :oops:

it is very dangerous especially at dusk and dawn, or after dark on ultra cold nights where the snow dust and ice fog hang in the air.

The only time I saw this issue WAS at dusk! Feb '98 prox. I was alone and just returning to the truck from Hornepayne.

I was prolly toolin' along at 80 klicks or so and just couldn't focus on the river in front of me.... I slowed and slowed and ... !!!! There's this big wall of ice in front of me! :o

I've also been lost on the river in snow storms as well as being lost on the fume kill on snowy days.

I won't. :umno:

Fume kill? What do you mean? :wtf:

years ago one of the mines released some gases that killed almost all local vegetation. it is the area that is known as the badlands, fume kill, the moon, ect... between the end of wawa lake and the steephill dam area, north toward dubreuilville. it is a very large area that has mostly small shrubs and blueberry bushes (if you can call them that) growing in it. nice place to play if there gets enough snow to cover the old logs, and stumps. those are the hidden landmines that hurt you riding off trail. remember, bumps are stumps. if it doesnt look like it belongs there, dont hit a bump, rise or drift. could cost you more than parts. :D ski

Prox 4 klicks wide x 20 klicks long.

All downwind of the smelters in Wawa. Acid Rain. Not exactly Purple Rain, but...

Wawa is there b/c of the iron in the first place. The R/R was put in prox 1900-1905 to haul ore down to the Soo to Algoma Steel. Algoma Steel is that huge place on the west side of the bridge with the flame burning in the night sky eh? Essentially it is EVERYTHING west of the bridge!

Now foreign owned! :angry:

Why doo we give everything up to offshore folk and put our future in their hands? :crazy:

Wawa no longer produces the ore for Algoma, and was closed in '99 in favor of ore from Michigan. If you drive NW outta Marquette you will see where they load the boats. It's quite a sight to drive under the RR that is dumping ore into the boats that are ponied ratt up to the rd! (Hardly eny traffic) Came around that corner of the mtn in the dark one night in 01 and just aboot ran into a freighter! :o That'll gitcher attention REAL quick!

I have always heard it called "plume kill", but whatever....

I hear tell that there is a site in the Sudbury area that puts this one to shame?

Archived