alternate route through Montreal

Puggz

I just hate driving through Montreal with a 24' enclosed in tow, as I enjoy taking the ferry east of Ottawa to get to Mont Laurier, does anyone have a recommended route around Montreal for trips north (Saint Zenon) and east (Saguenay/Gaspe)??

Looks like there's some viable options when viewed on Google Maps (bridge at Hawkesbury) but I've never been on that stretch of road.

TIA<

Patrick.

55 minutes ago, Puggz said:

I just hate driving through Montreal with a 24' enclosed in tow, as I enjoy taking the ferry east of Ottawa to get to Mont Laurier, does anyone have a recommended route around Montreal for trips north (Saint Zenon) and east (Saguenay/Gaspe)??

Looks like there's some viable options when viewed on Google Maps (bridge at Hawkesbury) but I've never been on that stretch of road.

TIA<

Patrick.

You can take the bypass (Autoroute 30) off Autoroute 20 to get to the southeast side and Hwy 20 east. Just take exit 29 which is the second exit I believe after you enter Quebec on Autoroute 20 and stay in the right lane to Autoroute 30 and the tollbooth. After that it will take you about 40 minutes on the A30 to get to Hwy 20 at Boucherville. Its an awesome way to get past Montreal. Toll with your trailer is about $6.00 I believe. Check the site below out:

https://transcanadahighway.com/quebec/montreal-south-bypass-autoroute-30/

• Like 4

For Saguenay and the Gaspe take the Route 30 Montreal bypass exactly like PLC stated. Bypass is few more KM but always moves fast.

For Saguenay would take the bridge north at Quebec City. Gaspe Route 20 the whole way.

Route 30 toll is now 9.00 for tandem trailer. Most lanes are now setup for TAP on debit card vs cash.

For Saint Zenon have crossed the bridge at Hawkesbury, east on Hwy 50 to St Jerome then zik zak  up to Saint Zenon.

• Thanks 1

I always take route 30 

So if heading to Trois Rivieres, jump on A-30 off of A-20 just before Montreal river crossing, than back on A-20 at Boucherville but stay on the south side (vs. heading back North) of the St Laurence until you hit 55 North that brings you into Trois Rivieres?

And A-30 has a toll charge of $9.00?

Drive through Montreal is nasty, add a trailer and its even worse.

• Like 1

head north on the 13 then east on the 640 around to the 40 again. Way better less traffic and mice big fat lanes for the trailer. 

As noted take the 30 on south side if heading the Quebec city and beyond.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

head north on the 13 then east on the 640 around to the 40 again. Way better less traffic and mice big fat lanes for the trailer. 

As noted take the 30 on south side if heading the Quebec city and beyond.

Thanks - this is another good option, especially if staying on the North side of the St Laurence.

• Like 1

Great info everyone, thank you!