Open/Closed trails

Turbo Doo

54 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Just wondering why the ITG still shows this trail here. It even was showing open, limited this past weekend. Its not even there anymore. No stakes,  nothing. Just curious..:wtf:

20210201_182500.jpg

Seems to take forever to get updates in on yearly trail changes. Gis people have to fix it, takes time. 

15 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Just wondering why the ITG still shows this trail here. It even was showing open, limited this past weekend. Its not even there anymore. No stakes,  nothing. Just curious..:wtf:

20210201_182500.jpg

Same thing in Fenelon Falls where B103 crosses county Rd 121. Itg shows field on east side of 121 as limited. It is actually fenced off. E-mailed KLSC and they replied they are working on a re-route.

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Finally that section of trail I posted is Finally off the map. Although 2 sleds riding it last night when I came home. 

While helping to GPS some St. Clements trails this last week, I think I may have learned what might be causing the issue with the particular access trail Turbo Doos post above showing open when it wasn't.  The crux of the problem I believe is a GPS term called segment. The ITG is made up of GPS'd trails and the trails are broken down by segment which is a particular section of trail.

When trails in what was the Golden Triangle were first GPS'd, they were done for all 12 member clubs by an individual from one club. The idea was just to get them GPS'd with no real attention likely given to segment detail. When you want to open or close a trail in the club network you could only do that by closing a particular segment or a number of connected segments.

In the case of the access trail Turbo Doo was speaking of, it showed up on the map in his post above as part of trail 5-64. I believe it was likely not GPS'd as a particular segment originally. If that was the case, to show the access trail portion closed would mean showing the rest of 5-64 in the same segment closed as well. The only way to accomplish showing only the access trail closed would be if it was a seperate segment by itself. That would require redoing the GPS for that portion of trail to make it a segment. That procedure takes volunteer time by someone capable and the proper equipment to complete the procedures.

I'm not sure if getting that portion of trail deleted from the ITG has to be done the same  GPS'ing procedure or whether the particular section of trail can be deleted without affecting the rest of the segment some how.

Maybe someone who is better educated in these procedures could chime in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had a trail that had to be closed this season and needed it removed from the ITG.

All I did was send a screenshot of the ITG with the affected area, sent it to my district manager with my request and within a day it was done. How they do it I can’t say, I don’t need to know that stuff.
Your results may vary.