gas in Waubamic DunAhmic Region PSSD - UPDATED WITH MAP

slomo

According to the local paper, a combination bakery, confectionary and gas bar will be opening this summer on the site of the old Jimmy's that burned down a few years ago. A welcome addition to the area as gas in McKellar has been a question mark for several years.

The woman who is getting the enterprise going has training as a pastry chef, so might be a good stop even if you don't need gas.

The woman who is getting the enterprise going has training as a pastry chef, so might be a good stop even if you don't need gas.

Trained but did she pass the course? What kind of gas are you suggesting? :P

I think Waubamic is in PSSD.. off Hwy 124??

What trail is it on?

• 3 months later...

Update on this....The Waubamic store, gas station, and bakery is up and running full swing. Lacking a donut shop in the vicinity, OPP cruisers have been spotted there on occasion - a worthy recommendation if any.

Personally, have had to stop buying the Globe and Mail there Saturdays as have put on about 20 lbs....the baked goods are really good!

In other cultural notes around the area, Club 69 down around WildBill's way is now the Cedar View (?) family restaurant. It is just down the trail from Memories of Muskoka.....odd, but I swear I heard a bunch of disgruntled looking ladies speaking Russian in downtown P.S. the week before I noticed the change....my Russian is a bit rusty though.

Update on this....The Waubamic store, gas station, and bakery is up and running full swing. Lacking a donut shop in the vicinity, OPP cruisers have been spotted there on occasion - a worthy recommendation if any.

Personally, have had to stop buying the Globe and Mail there Saturdays as have put on about 20 lbs....the baked goods are really good!

In other cultural notes around the area, Club 69 down around WildBill's way is now the Cedar View (?) family restaurant. It is just down the trail from Memories of Muskoka.....odd, but I swear I heard a bunch of disgruntled looking ladies speaking Russian in downtown P.S. the week before I noticed the change....my Russian is a bit rusty though.

They should have shaved :puke: Honestly the crestview is really quite good . Every time we have been there it has been full and the food is homemade and very good.

Why are both of you are speaking in the "second person".

"My friend told me" :lol:

It looked scary from the outside, and this reporter never made a pitstop.

Thanks for the info. I will stop in after visiting WB and getting the sleds serviced.

Why are both of you are speaking in the "second person".

"My friend told me" :lol:

It looked scary from the outside, and this reporter never made a pitstop.

Thanks for the info. I will stop in after visiting WB and getting the sleds serviced.

My friend lived !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to know, we used to always stop there for gas before when we were on Manitouwabing. If you're not familar with the area, don't think you'll find it by sled as there is some lake hopping from either side to get there and nothing is official trails.

• 4 weeks later...

What trail is it on?

Some new information gathered over the weekend....

Please note - not advocating trespassing over private land in any way...an OFSC trail existed several years ago which would enable access to Waubamic from the DunAhmic trail to McKellar, but was closed due to land owner issues.

It appears new owners may have bought the lot at the end of Vowels Lake and a "snowmobilers keep to this side of the lot" sign seems to suggest they will allow sled passage from the road to the lake. And my neighbour who works at Harris Lake Trailer Park says the owner doesn't mind sled passage through the park, although he will not legally allow this for liability issues.

So (refer to map - thanks xcsldr) access is available with a short jog past the official trail turnoff to McKellar, continuing down Ferguson McKellar Boundary Road, down the Friggen' Hill, south over the lot on the lake, cross Vowel Lake, a couple of small waterbodies, south on Harris Lake, through the trailer park, which puts you right across highway 124 from The Red Door Bakery in Waubamic and their gas pumps. Local sledders have been using this route for several years and it is well marked by track trails.

Hey Slomo.. Thanks for the update.. I luv that area, it was my stompin' grounds for 10 years.. Nothin' like jumping on my sled for a ride up to Port Loring to say hi to Jake and have one of his famous Clubhouse Sandwich.. That lake trail from Dunchurch to Port Loring has to be my most favorite trail anywhere...

Sorry to hear the bakery has added 20 lbs.. Try eating before you go there :wavey:

• 1 month later...
So (refer to map (previous post)- thanks xcsldr) access is available with a short jog past the official trail turnoff to McKellar, continuing down Ferguson McKellar Boundary Road, down the Friggen' Hill, south over the lot on the lake, cross Vowel Lake, a couple of small waterbodies, south on Harris Lake, through the trailer park, which puts you right across highway 124 from The Red Door Bakery in Waubamic and their gas pumps. Local sledders have been using this route for several years and it is well marked by track trails.

Just a short note I'll keep an eye on....the owner of the lot accessing Vowel Lake had a sign up "cross to lake here" or something to that effect. Currently, the snow banks created by the plow are pretty high and might be formidible to get over. Likely some of the intrepid local sledders will figure out a way to pound over and create access to the lake. There are a few sled tracks on Vowel Lake so far but it doesn't look like anyone has scaled the snow bank yet.

What trail is it on?

Some new information gathered over the weekend....

Please note - not advocating trespassing over private land in any way...an OFSC trail existed several years ago which would enable access to Waubamic from the DunAhmic trail to McKellar, but was closed due to land owner issues.

It appears new owners may have bought the lot at the end of Vowels Lake and a "snowmobilers keep to this side of the lot" sign seems to suggest they will allow sled passage from the road to the lake. And my neighbour who works at Harris Lake Trailer Park says the owner doesn't mind sled passage through the park, although he will not legally allow this for liability issues.

So (refer to map - thanks xcsldr) access is available with a short jog past the official trail turnoff to McKellar, continuing down Ferguson McKellar Boundary Road, down the Friggen' Hill, south over the lot on the lake, cross Vowel Lake, a couple of small waterbodies, south on Harris Lake, through the trailer park, which puts you right across highway 124 from The Red Door Bakery in Waubamic and their gas pumps. Local sledders have been using this route for several years and it is well marked by track trails.

[attachment=0]wabaumic gas.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks Slomo.

Looks like an area worth 'getting to know'.

Likely some of the intrepid local sledders will figure out a way to pound over and create access to the lake. There are a few sled tracks on Vowel Lake so far but it doesn't look like anyone has scaled the snow bank yet.

And sure enough.....the bank has been scaled....

53_ab1f1865358708e98e21597fc102d25b

65_9c932a2d569524855945572272cfa30e

• 2 weeks later...

I hope to be riding those trail this weekend!!!!! Yahooooooo

My favorite place to get gas in that entire area is the Duck Rock Resort in Dunchurch.. The guy that owns it is a great guy and luv coming in off Whitestone Lake and then crossing the road and continuing on Whitestone Lake...

Has anyone heard about the lake trails up to Port Loring...

Wah-Wash-Kesh isn't ready yet, they have about 6" - 8" of ice on the lake but it still needs more before they are able to take the groomer across......

Wah-Wash-Kesh isn't ready yet, they have about 6" - 8" of ice on the lake but it still needs more before they are able to take the groomer across......

btw heres a better map that I made last year with better detail.

The gas is at the corner of Hurdville Road and Hwy 124

I heard that a new owner would not like anyone to access the last lake from Long lake estates road...no biggie as you can run the road but i just thought I would mention it. I think thats slomos post showing the trail being broken is LOL

file.php?id=808

So to conclude....for those unfamiliar with the area...if you need gas while on the C trail between the Info Center and highway 124, use the instructions on xcsldr's most recent map. If you find yourself needing gas while crossing Manitowabing Lake on trails 804/807 (or accessing from Grey Owl Lake) use xcsldr's first map with additions showing how to approach Waubamic from the north.

No doubt additional confusion will be created for new sledders to the area as the 08/09 map does not have McKellar or Waubamic place names on it.

Archived