Top C - Logging South of Smooth Rock Falls

signfan

I hope they can open that section again this season.  They did alot of work, re routing that trail before last season.  The active logging that usually took place in there, was there last year, but with the new routing of the trail, it by passed alot of it. Pretty sure Arctic Riders from smooth rock falls does down to the warm up shack. From the sounds of the timmins club Facebook page,  they almost had the C north done, but ran into mechanical issues. We rode thru there a few times last season,  and the new trail is definitely better then the kms of log road running it had before. Now it bypasses alot of it, and they groomed along side the log road  from Hwy 11, south, and if i recall theres only one road crossing now on the log haul  road at a bend, then the trail goes into the newer section, before coming back out to the old section closer near the warm up shack. The new route is definitely longer then the old route.

Edited by TURBO DOO

14 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

The area i have circled, if i recall is the newer section.  It never ran that close to the Matagami river before. 

20200102_220454.jpg

Did you never run TOP C when it crossed the river northwest of the A106C junction & then ran north? It intersected w/ TOP A near the lookout side trail west of SRF.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

Did you never run TOP when it crossed the river northwest of the A106C junction & then ran north? It intersected w/ TOP A near the lookout side trail west of SRF.

We rode across that river quite a few times. Know a fellow that "quickly" ran the river from south to north on a1998 XC700 and just over the north riverbank he T-boned a tree. He was not hurt badly but the ditchbanger sure was.

• Like 1

I remember when the trail went across the river.  2001 ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I remember when the trail went across the river.  2001 ?

That's probably the 1st year we rode that stretch. I recall emailing Candace Fortin (D15 staffer) about the river crossing. It wasnt open yet and we were worried it would affect our plans. She assured me that the crossing would be ready for our trip, which it was.

Pulled alot of iron with a rope on C many moons ago...piston alley is what that section of trail was called...and yes it did cross the river...fun trail.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lep said:

Pulled alot of iron with a rope on C many moons ago...piston alley is what that section of trail was called...and yes it did cross the river...fun trail.

Bro took a hand held video up that stretch 1 day SMH... I think this was before GoPro cams became commonplace.