Crossing rice lake

Kpetrorenegade

1 hour ago, Kpetrorenegade said:

I know rice lake says it is red on ofsc but has anyone on here crossed it yet this year?

as mentioned by Signfan, I believe it is to be staked this weekend.

I have crossed it this year, but unless you have some local knowledge, I'd wait for it to be staked.

One thing I noticed was that there are a lot more pressure cracks this year, and in places where I have not seen them before.

Stoney Lake has more pressure cracks than normal too.  Same with other lakes in the area like Chandos.  Pressure cracks where they have never been in the past.  Be careful running any lakes after dark this year.  Its volunteers so I'd bet the line will go in Saturday or Sunday on Rice Lake.  Probably not before.

9 minutes ago, zoso said:

Ice in southern Ontario seems to be pretty sketchy this season. I would advise to err on the side of caution and wait for a stake line unless you know the lake very well.

Unless you need a drastic solution to get out of paying an accommodation bill - checked Golden Sands on Rice Lake- $270 a night. My first car didn't cost that. Elmhirst is up there as well.

Still, love the area - the Ganny, the Northumberland, divided trails with 'one way' signs, ribs and wings at Rhinos   ......... Hope the ice on Rice Lake firms up - if the past few years is any indicator, sled there while you have the chance.

Went out today and did the "Round Rice Lake" tour, today

Ice on the lake is good (hopefully they stake it this weekend) but no major issues.

Ran across the the lake  (south shore to north shore) and up the Indian River to 208! Then to Campbellford and back (via E108)

trails were very good despite a lack of snow, in the east

The club (GPRSA) is having a wing night this Friday and a  poker run on Saturday, should be a blast!

Not sure

We normally take the Indian up to E208 (the railbed), but we didn't yesterday.

The trail (511) from Hiawatha is open, so we stopped for gas there and took the trail up to E208

The Indian river is probably good to go, but I haven't done it this year, so I hesitate to recommend it, for obvious reasons.

17 hours ago, slomo said:

Unless you need a drastic solution to get out of paying an accommodation bill - checked Golden Sands on Rice Lake- $270 a night. My first car didn't cost that. Elmhirst is up there as well.

Still, love the area - the Ganny, the Northumberland, divided trails with 'one way' signs, ribs and wings at Rhinos   ......... Hope the ice on Rice Lake firms up - if the past few years is any indicator, sled there while you have the chance.

I think you mean Golden Beach, and yes it is spendy. BTW they closed their restaurant for the winter this year! I understand a new one is going in this summer.

Watch yourself in the Ganny this year, the OFSC trail guide does not recognize one way trails, and I understand it is mapping routes without regard as to which way they run!!!

On 1/30/2019 at 6:01 PM, slomo said:

Oh yeah. And run the Indian River to Warsaw 

10 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Oh yeah. And run the Indian River to Warsaw 

Great ride when the conditions allow it!

We have ridden all the way to Stoney on the Indian River.

Brings back a sad memory.

Fifteen years ago, we had a sledding buddy drop dead from a massive heart attack, while we were north of Warsaw on the Indian.

It was quite the operation to get EMS out to the site. We ended up ferrying them in and out with their toboggan on our sleds!

We went back there the next summer with his son, and erected a plaque to honour his father. Was back a couple of years ago and it is still there

Archived