Provide me some saddlebag riding suggestions, Please...

Yellowknife

Hi folks,

I am considering trailering to Ontario for a couple weeks of riding. I grew up on the trail systems around Elliot Lake, but it has been about 10 years since I was last back there for any riding, and it was a horrible winter when I was there. I've got a few folks lined up to ride with but am doing the planning. Looking for a trip suggestion for 4 days/3 nights - and a trip suggestion for 6 days/5 nights. Dates would be from March 1 to 10. Will be doing day rides from Elliot Lake between Feb 24 and 28. I remember the local area fairly well. Conditions seem to be improving across Northern Ontario by the week, hoping it keeps up. 

I've been looking at the OFSC site, checking out the old Snowtrax episodes, playing with the OFSC snowmobile app, reading some reviews, etc. I like the looks of the Northern Corridor Adventure as well as the RAP Tour, none of which I've done before. The RAP could be ideal for the 4 day trip and the Corridor for the 6 day trip. Elliot Lake will be home base or at least the point of departure with the trucks and trailers. The less time spent in the vehicle and the more time spent riding, the better obviously. 

You guys own these trails and I'm looking for your input and suggestions on either the above loops and/or anything else you'd recommend I look into. For the sake of it, lets assume the trails will be in good shape everywhere by end of Feb. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Cheers,

YK

Here is a 5 day itinerary starting at Dunlop Lake Lodge that I put together for a friend a couple of months ago:

Here would be my suggestion:

Drive to Dunlop Lake Lodge (#35 on the Algoma map)

Day 1; Dunlop Lake to BlackCreek Outfitters (must get gas here, make sure they are open), ride to 1/2 Way Haven (190 km. from BlackCreek with nothing between) *** ALWAYS FUEL AT 1/2 WAY***  Stay at 1/2 Way.   285 km. day

Day 2; Ride to Wawa then north to Dubrieville via Missanabie (for a hamburger at Ernies) Stay at Relais Magpie in Dub (#3 on the map) 232 km. day

Day 3; Flex day. If all is good, ride "The 100 mile loop" north of Dub and back to Wawa via the Magpie River. Stay at Wawa Motor Inn (#7 on the map)  235 km. day.  If you need rest or repairs go straight to Wawa.

Day 4; Wawa to 1/2 way (fuel and lunch) then on to Searchmount. That's a 282 km. day. There is no fuel in Searchmount however if you book at Driftwood Valley Chalets and pre-arrange, Carl will have fuel ready for you when you arrive (#25 on the map) only food available will be at the ski hill I believe and not sure of hours for food at ski hill.   282 km. day

Day 5; Searchmont to Dunlop Lake Lodge via SSM5 / D / BM1 / D134 / BM2 / D106 / F.   Would be 188 km. from Searchmont to Black Creek for fuel.    282 km.

You could add a day in Dubrieville to make it a 6 day trip and ride out to White River and back.

Early March might be too late to do the complete RAP.  The norther section of the trip should still be fine but the southern section is really iffy at that time of year especially the Muskoka/Haliburton area.  A few years ago the trails we're toast at Family day weekend.

As far as your Norther trip you will have a lot of help from guys and girls on here as your time nears for condition reports  we have an amazing group on here that spans the area.  

Start Elliot lake -Chapleau -Timmins for the night next day Kirkland lake - Rouyn Quebec _ Val dor PQ for the night , next night New Liskeard , next night Sudbury than Elliot lake

Here's a preliminary 6 day ride of the Northern Corridor.

I can add places to stay if you are interested in it:

Day 1 - Windy Lake Motel, Levack to Gowganda via Rocky's Wanapitei  (293 km.)

Day 2 - Gowganda to Cochrane via Kenogami Lake (312 km.)

Day 3 - Cochrane to Abitibi Canyon to Kapuskasing  (308 km.)

Day 4 - FLEX DAY    Kapuskasing to Hearst to Smooth Rock Falls (329 km.) If you need repair or rest don't go to Hearst (unless you need a doo fixed then go see Denis in Hearst)

Day 5 - Smooth Rock Falls to Cochrane to Timmins to Tatachikapika Lodge  (251 km.)

Day 6 - Tata to Windy Lake Motel via  Rocky's Wanapitei  (355 km.)

1848 km. total 

Just did the rap tour in 4 days, Jan 18-21.

Did it counterclock wise.

rode Kinmount to pembroke, then to north bay, then to Kearney, then back to Kinmount.

trip was awesome, condition of trails was excellent and so was the lodging.

stayed at the best western in pembroke and north bay, and the Edgewater resort in kearney

Cheers

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Here is a 5 day itinerary starting at Dunlop Lake Lodge that I put together for a friend a couple of months ago:

Here would be my suggestion:

Drive to Dunlop Lake Lodge (#35 on the Algoma map)

Day 1; Dunlop Lake to BlackCreek Outfitters (must get gas here, make sure they are open), ride to 1/2 Way Haven (190 km. from BlackCreek with nothing between) *** ALWAYS FUEL AT 1/2 WAY***  Stay at 1/2 Way.   285 km. day

Day 2; Ride to Wawa then north to Dubrieville via Missanabie (for a hamburger at Ernies) Stay at Relais Magpie in Dub (#3 on the map) 232 km. day

Day 3; Flex day. If all is good, ride "The 100 mile loop" north of Dub and back to Wawa via the Magpie River. Stay at Wawa Motor Inn (#7 on the map)  235 km. day.  If you need rest or repairs go straight to Wawa.

Day 4; Wawa to 1/2 way (fuel and lunch) then on to Searchmount. That's a 282 km. day. There is no fuel in Searchmount however if you book at Driftwood Valley Chalets and pre-arrange, Carl will have fuel ready for you when you arrive (#25 on the map) only food available will be at the ski hill I believe and not sure of hours for food at ski hill.   282 km. day

Day 5; Searchmont to Dunlop Lake Lodge via SSM5 / D / BM1 / D134 / BM2 / D106 / F.   Would be 188 km. from Searchmont to Black Creek for fuel.    282 km.

You could add a day in Dubrieville to make it a 6 day trip and ride out to White River and back.

going to point out some issues with this...

ernies may not be open, you MUST CALL AHEAD, OR HE WONT BE OPEN.

the 100 mile loop in dub is not open this year. you can ride up and back to white river (approx 140 MILES), or up and back to hornepayne (approx 180 MILES), or loop dub, magpie river, wawa trail 6 to hawk junction for a burger at the the big bear, then the D trail back to dub (approx 90 MILES).

oh, and welcome back yellowknife, been a loooong time, since we have saw you around here. 

Ski

big loop ride

elliot lake to halfway haven, 

halfway to chapleau to folyet, to timmins (bigger day)

timmins to hearst

hearst to dubreuilville or wawa

dub wawa to halfway to searchmont

searchmont to elliot lake

21 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

going to point out some issues with this...

ernies may not be open, you MUST CALL AHEAD, OR HE WONT BE OPEN.

the 100 mile loop in dub is not open this year. you can ride up and back to white river (approx 140 MILES), or up and back to hornepayne (approx 180 MILES), or loop dub, magpie river, wawa trail 6 to hawk junction for a burger at the the big bear, then the D trail back to dub (approx 90 MILES).

oh, and welcome back yellowknife, been a loooong time, since we have saw you around here. 

Ski

Thanks for the Ernies info., The itinerary shown was done in early October, should have checked 100 mile loop status before reprinting.

The Flex day is ending at Wawa Motor Inn.

Really appreciate all the info, as soon as I confirm whether I can get the time off i'll follow up with some of the suggestions. 

Question, I've been watching the OFSC trail status map online the past few days, I've noticed some trails go from Green/Available to Yellow/Limited Availability, and there's been a lot of snow falling in that time period. The site doesn't seem to provide info on what they base their trail status' on. Can anyone tell me what influences those trail status' and are they pretty accurate?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys - I got some time off confirmed. So first, I need to sort out the 4 day/3 night trip. I've confirmed we need to leave from Elliot Lake for that one. Looking for suggestions on that. Not afraid of high miles. For example when I was down 10 years ago we did the North Shore Loop in a day, and it is rated for 2 days at a distance of 446 km's. 

My buddy suggested Elliot to Sudbury day 1, sudbury to North Bay day 2, then reverse it back. Seems a little short but there's a lot of different ways you can go by the looks of it. 

I was thinking Elliot to Dubreuiville and back, somehow. 

Thoughts on those or any others that would work over 4 days with a start and end in Elliot? Cheers!! (the 4 day trip would be March 1 to 4)

On 1/23/2019 at 5:28 PM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Here's a preliminary 6 day ride of the Northern Corridor.

I can add places to stay if you are interested in it:

Day 1 - Windy Lake Motel, Levack to Gowganda via Rocky's Wanapitei  (293 km.)

Day 2 - Gowganda to Cochrane via Kenogami Lake (312 km.)

Day 3 - Cochrane to Abitibi Canyon to Kapuskasing  (308 km.)

Day 4 - FLEX DAY    Kapuskasing to Hearst to Smooth Rock Falls (329 km.) If you need repair or rest don't go to Hearst (unless you need a doo fixed then go see Denis in Hearst)

Day 5 - Smooth Rock Falls to Cochrane to Timmins to Tatachikapika Lodge  (251 km.)

Day 6 - Tata to Windy Lake Motel via  Rocky's Wanapitei  (355 km.)

1848 km. total 

Very interested in this for the 6 day trip.

Archived