Rocky's (Wanapitei) to Gowganda

Sevey

Planning to fuel up at Rocky's on Lake Wanapitei and go north on the C trail to Gowganda.

My sled gets an easy 200k per tank, but don't know if you chance it or go to Shining Tree.

For those that have run it - how far is the distance. I have the maps but its always nice to have an actual account of it.

Also, what is the fuel stop in Shining Tree (name)?

Thanks

MS

30 minutes ago, Sevey said:

Planning to fuel up at Rocky's on Lake Wanapitei and go north on the C trail to Gowganda.

My sled gets an easy 200k per tank, but don't know if you chance it or go to Shining Tree.

For those that have run it - how far is the distance. I have the maps but its always nice to have an actual account of it.

Also, what is the fuel stop in Shining Tree (name)?

Thanks

MS

We did the reverse in the middle of our trip last week...left Gowganda Lake Lodge around 9:15, west across A107 to C (no stop at Shining Tree...requires a 16 km backtrack), then south to 64 and into Rocky's for fuel and lunch, then onward to Windy Lake for that night's stay.  Part of our trip down C was pushing snow after a few inches of new white stuff had fallen the day before, but despite that, we arrived at Rocky's with fuel to spare.  Can't recall the exact distance, but it was about 170 kms door-to-door...maybe Sledjunk will see this thread and chime in with the exact number. 

BTW, Trail 64 (10 kms long) into Rocky's was mogul city when we were there, and apparently doesn't get much grooming priority, so consider yourself warned.  Use the lake stake-lines as an alternative, at least on the way in.

The day before, we had topped up in Shining Tree while passing through on our way to Gowganda...only one place in ST with gas that I know of, it's called Shining Tree Tourist Camp, and the proprietor there is Derek (also an OC member, and his screen name is Kered), who drives the groomer in that area.  Nice guy, and we had a great chat with him before heading off for Gowganda.

Hope that helps.

irREVerent

Last year from Rockies to Auld Reekie was around 120/130 miles.

My sled made it....gas light was flashing for a long time before we got there though, stupid float is way off....

I came down from Gowanda last week , It was 37 miles to Shinning tree camp and 90 miles to the intersection of C and C206D Rockys is still another 20 miles I think. Shining tree camp is 10 miles each way so 127 miles without going to shinning tree camp for gas. Also in heavy snow so the miles are a bit on the plus side that works out to 200 km . Shinning Tree camp has premium fuel $1.50 litre

Definitely worth the stop for fuel at shinning tree, say hello to Derek and then continue.

2 hours ago, irREVerent said:

We did the reverse in the middle of our trip last week...left Gowganda Lake Lodge around 9:15, west across A107 to C (no stop at Shining Tree...requires a 16 km backtrack), then south to 64 and into Rocky's for fuel and lunch, then onward to Windy Lake for that night's stay.  Part of our trip down C was pushing snow after a few inches of new white stuff had fallen the day before, but despite that, we arrived at Rocky's with fuel to spare.  Can't recall the exact distance, but it was about 170 kms door-to-door...maybe Sledjunk will see this thread and chime in with the exact number. 

BTW, Trail 64 (10 kms long) into Rocky's was mogul city when we were there, and apparently doesn't get much grooming priority, so consider yourself warned.  Use the lake stake-lines as an alternative, at least on the way in.

The day before, we had topped up in Shining Tree while passing through on our way to Gowganda...only one place in ST with gas that I know of, it's called Shining Tree Tourist Camp, and the proprietor there is Derek (also an OC member, and his screen name is Kered), who drives the groomer in that area.  Nice guy, and we had a great chat with him before heading off for Gowganda.

Hope that helps.

irREVerent

Thanks for the intel.

I know what you mean about the trail that takes you into Rocky's. I have started to do what you described- pop out on the lake and go directly there. Fuel, food and go back to the section of trail you left.

MS

• 2 weeks later...

Just for future reference, have done the Rocky's to Gowganda run many times and  bang on 190km door to door. Have arrived with fuel warning lights on a few times, especially with heavy snow. Most I have put in tank was 36 litres, I'm running a skidoo 1200.  We take the route directly on to the lake in front of Rockys, then head north on 78 to C206D, and up to the C trail. Its a nice run along the Wanapitei River.

Shining Tree not that far out of the way if you are concerned.  They moved the intersection to Shining Tree at the C trail a little closer this season, about 16km as someone mentioned. Shining Tree to Gowganda about 70km.

Heading up Thursday, hope things are still decent after this ridiculous February thaw.

Have a good run, post back how you made out. Iam waiting for weather to fill back in

ms

Will post an update on this route when we return Sat March 4th. 

FYI, was speaking to owner of Auld Reekie Lodge (Urs) in Gowganda. There is a section of plowed road that runs about 8km due east after you turn off C trail toward Gowganda that is not in great shape due to thaw. He is considering relocating to route used last year a little to the south if they don't get fresh snow.

Safe riding all, typical spring riding hazards likely out there now (ice, washouts, etc)

We were going to head up to gowganda this weekend coming for a last blast ,but with this logging section and no snow around new liskeard and not a lot of snow coming we bailed out 

maybe the following weekend ,we will see

I would not count on anything around Sudbury.

The powers that be are considering packing it in for the year.

11 hours ago, Runnynose said:

Will post an update on this route when we return Sat March 4th. 

FYI, was speaking to owner of Auld Reekie Lodge (Urs) in Gowganda. There is a section of plowed road that runs about 8km due east after you turn off C trail toward Gowganda that is not in great shape due to thaw. He is considering relocating to route used last year a little to the south if they don't get fresh snow.

Safe riding all, typical spring riding hazards likely out there now (ice, washouts, etc)

That plowed road was down to bare gravel it's entire length on Thursday.There were no banks to get onto.It should have been listed as impassable.

thanks for the updates guys, will check with lodge in gowganda regarding that plowed road before we head up. getting snow in sudbury tonight, but doesnt look like it extends to Gogama and Gowganda on the radar unfortunately. 

stp doing some grooming today and tonight in cartier area and east side of town. hoping they head north on the C trail.

Looks green from Sudbury to Gowganda now ,they got some fresh today 

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

Looks green from Sudbury to Gowganda now ,they got some fresh today 

Ummm

STILL getting fresh snow

Great ride to Gowganda from Rockys on Thursday March 2nd, returned today. Overall the trails groomed the best I have seen on this run which I have done many times. The 20 to 25cm of fresh snow on Wednesday really helped, although as we headed east toward Gowganda off the C trail the snow was  thinner, but trail still in great shape. Urs from Auld Reekie relocated the section of A107C that was on plowed road, so no issues.

C trail was groomed all the way from Capreol to Shining Tree Thursday-Friday, so we had a great ride home too. Quite a bit of traffic coming north today, creating a few bumps in some corners.

We also rode from Gowganda to Elk Lake on Friday, fantastic shape and had been groomed the night before. Hope the weather holds and keeps the season going a bit longer.

Hats off to Urs and Diane, treated us very well at Auld Reekie Lodge.

a107 and C looking east.JPG

A107 and C looking north.JPG

C 206 D.JPG

Great pics :)

Archived