knights inn lagoon city brechin closed for winter

slomo

Received an email today stating that Knight's Inn & the restaurant there in Lagoon City is closing for the winter. They will be open again in May. Too bad - last season no snow in that area, but the year before trails were great.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14418-2015-lagoon-city-orillia-brechin-march-7-8/#comment-183802

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14426-district-8-lagoon-city-brechin-knights-inn-lagoon-city/#comment-183949

Thanks for the update.

I'll actually consider this as a destination on our Trent Severn waterway travels next year. Looks like the marina is nearby, wonder if you can dock there....walk over.

Enjoyed the Orillia town dock over the years, but this would be a nice change of pace.

Thx for heads-up regarding winter closure.

Orillia town docks are finally being rebuilt after the fire that eliminated the buildings.

The trailers were okay, but the rental for offices, shower and bathroom must have cost a lot. Wonder what took so long to rebuild.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

The trailers were okay, but the rental for offices, shower and bathroom must have cost a lot. Wonder what took so long to rebuild.

http://www.orilliapacket.com/2014/12/22/councillor-taken-aback-by-insurance-coverage

Politicians get involved and nothing happens quickly. The town owns it but the Chamber operates it. In the link above it seems that it was only insured for $300K and the article suggests that it would cost $600 to $750K to rebuild like for like. Seems awfully steep for a cinder block building primarily washrooms and showers.

The second option was to build a new $600,000-to-$750,000 structure similar to the one that burned.

“Why would we only be insured for $300,000, given that the replacement cost is six or seven?” asked Coun. Tim Lauer.

Providing the services from trailers or a mobile building, which could be repurposed later, could cost as little as $75,000 if showers aren’t included and between $200,000 and $500,000 if they are.

Lauer, who said he has “no appetite for any idea that’s going to cost … $400,000 to $500,000 to get through one year,” asked how important showers were to overall business at the port.

From the Chamber of Commerce - Port Open Friday, May 13 to Labour Day, 2016. Boats must be moved from the docks by Monday, September 05 for new building construction. Thanks to all of our customers. We look forward to seeing you in 2017!

Not really sure why boats couldn't use the docks while construction was done with a barrier erected around the construction.

. ... we have friends who have moved from Port Severn to Orillia and are looking forward to making a couple of trips to Orillia next summer. They will pick us up at the dock and we will spend the night with them and return the next day.

Building costs? That is a drop in the bucket compared to the board of education spending $26,000,000.00,yes that is twenty six million dollars on the new public school in Parry Sound and it only has 17 rooms. And don't get me cranked about shoulder rubbing contractors. The bottom of the table sees more cash than the top.

Canada Day is fun there....if you like:

a) loud music into the night (boats seem to compete with each other for loudest volume...Jeff Sinclair and his crew won this year);

b ) teeny weeny string bikinis.

Now that I think about it, why would I go to Lagoon City? :-P

23 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Building costs? That is a drop in the bucket compared to the board of education spending $26,000,000.00,yes that is twenty six million dollars on the new public school in Parry Sound and it only has 17 rooms. And don't get me cranked about shoulder rubbing contractors. The bottom of the table sees more cash than the top.

I remember years ago when they put water and sewer into Wasaga Beach and gave people a window of time to hook up. My dad knew one of the local contractors approved to do the hook ups. They all agreed they would charge the same regardless of the distance from the road and they would get together for breakfast regularly and divide up the jobs.

An old joke... the township needs a fence and asks for prices from local contractors.

First comes in... measures, calculates and gives a price of $20K - itemization $12K for labour $8K for materials

Second comes in... measures, calculates, takes some pictures, looks at the terrain and gives a price of $21K - itemization $12.5K for labour $8.5K for materials

Third comes in just eyeballs everything and says $30K... the township rep says can you give me an itemization - $20K for the job $5K for me $5K for you.... township rep says how soon can you start

Archived