Durham area report?

Sneaks

Wondering if anyone can comment on conditions in Durham area, and if they will make it through the weekend?  Hoping to get out tomorrow afternoon, and possibly again sunday if things hold.

Plan was to park there, and maybe head towards Pretty river PP area, but I'm open to wherever is best (and least road runs.) :)

I was wanting to head that way this weekend. I'm going to prep my sled for summer storage instead. I bet the trails don't make it much past noon. Next weeks temps will bring an end to many parts of the province unfortunately. On the bright side....the new sled will still be new next year.

We were thinking about going up also but frosty is right, they'll be toast in no time! Just Gona take kids to a buddies farm instead for a couple hours. Last ride is always with the kids anyways...

I doubt anything much survives after this weekend... Even North Bay is saying highs if 10 next week with rain, overnight lows of 2 and 3 are the lowest in the 14 day..

Then again it call could change, you never know with the way the water has been going this year...

Yeah I'm not expecting it to last to next week, just want to get in a final ride or two this weekend, if it's not all dirt! :)

anybody actually go out yet? plan is to head there as ~1:30

i was through the west side of Durham trails yesterday. We met the groomer going out B111 about 10am. It was his first pass since the snow came. Nothing else we rode had seen a groomer.

That said, there was a good amount of snow but it was light fluffy stuff and the trail came apart quick. Bit of water here and there.

Lots of snow around Walters Falls but the top of the B Trail between Owen Sound and the 160 intersection was very thin, alot of plowed fields and road running.

The B110 railbed runs out of snow on the north side of Dundalk. From Dundalk to Shelburne its 50/50 snow and bare ground. By yesterday afternoon the frost was coming out of the ground and it was getting muddy.

i was through the west side of Durham trails yesterday. We met the groomer going out B111 about 10am. It was his first pass since the snow came. Nothing else we rode had seen a groomer.

That said, there was a good amount of snow but it was light fluffy stuff and the trail came apart quick. Bit of water here and there.

Lots of snow around Walters Falls but the top of the B Trail between Owen Sound and the 160 intersection was very thin, alot of plowed fields and road running.

The B110 railbed runs out of snow on the north side of Dundalk. From Dundalk to Shelburne its 50/50 snow and bare ground. By yesterday afternoon the frost was coming out of the ground and it was getting muddy.

Thanks for the update!  I'm not wasting my time trailering there, likely put the sled away for the season, if you want to call it a season lol! On the bright side sled will still be as new next year and lots of money saved on gas!!

Thanks for the update!  I'm not wasting my time trailering there, likely put the sled away for the season, if you want to call it a season lol! On the bright side sled will still be as new next year and lots of money saved on gas!!

yeah, i sorta made the same choice, i'm only 20min from away from durham. but really not going to pound my sled across plowed ground

Did anyone hit any of the District 9 trails today?

I see Sauble and South Hampton closed their trails. Hoping to squeeze one last ride out tomorrow.

Well I ran a solo 200KM and had a great time.  Parked in Markdale, Did the B111 through Pretty river PP, then the B looping up to collingwood on the 703/704 and back on B north over to walters falls, then back to the rail trail and down to Markdale. Passed 3 groomers, so should still be decent trails for folks tomorrow, then I assume with next weeks weather it'll be done for the south.  Some bare spots in corners and a few thin fields, but all in all lots of snow still in many areas.  Watch the washouts though, in fact first one came to on B111 between 236 and 230 they were fishing out a sled.  It was deeper than they thought. :) Don't think any damage or anything, but others made a track around the main trail, since this was a sled swallower washout.  The rest of the washouts were smaller (shallower for sure!)

Anyway, that's probably it for me for the season.  Despite the lack of snow this season, happy I got in 1100km.

I ended up with 1200 kms for the season.

Rode from Markdale to Durham then up to Walters Falls (restaurant was closed at noon), back to Chatsworths to have lunch at kettles, then down the raibed back to the truck. A mix of conditions from poor to great.

By the end of the day things were very soft.

So what is this?

post-19895-0-01672900-1457310855_thumb.jpg

Must be one of those warning beacons they light when need more warrior support to fight off enemies, like in Lord of the Rings. ;)

Archived