Recommendations For Family Day Weekend

yamaha06

Hey guys, I need some recommendations on where to head for Family Day weekend.  I plan on arriving somewhere late Thursday Feb 11 and heading back home sometime in the afternoon on Tuesday Feb 16, so I have 4.5 days of solid riding.  I did have riding planned for around Northbay, Port Loring area but with the way the weather is going I am looking to head further North.  I have never been past North Bay or Sudbury, so I am not sure on the type or terrain up there It would be nice to get some recommendations on where to head, I would like to look for a place anywhere up to an hour and a half past North Bay or Sudbury.  I noticed there is still a lot of red in Northern Ontario, it would be nice to find somewhere with some decent riding, loops or backpacking to different hotels etc.  I would like to have some kind of a game plan soon so I can try and make reservations at hotels.

Thanks guys

Stay home that weekend.  Your back will thank you.

BP

Lots of stuff open in the North right now. You could start in Sudbury and head to Timmins then to Abitibi Canyon. The whole Hwy 11 corridor from Cochrane over to Hearst or even down to Hornepayne. Lots of hydro lines to run. The trails are wide and flat. They are suspenseful to get dumped on with this storm coming. I'm headed to my buddies in Timmins Mon.

RR

Lots of stuff open in the North right now. You could start in Sudbury and head to Timmins then to Abitibi Canyon. The whole Hwy 11 corridor from Cochrane over to Hearst or even down to Hornepayne. Lots of hydro lines to run. The trails are wide and flat. They are suspenseful to get dumped on with this storm coming. I'm headed to my buddies in Timmins Mon.

RR

Thanks I was looking into that but it looks like the trails are closed heading up to Timmins from Sudbury.

Thanks I was looking into that but it looks like the trails are closed heading up to Timmins from Sudbury.

Should be open soon by the posts around here and facebook.

Im heading for North Bay that weekend. Should be good by then I hope.

Sudbury to Timmins is passable in theory but trails are closed. Matheson area has a closed section due to a land owner dispute. You might consider driving to Timmins and saddlebag from there if you want to ride up this area. I don't expect any of the closed trails to open on any particular schedule.

Why not trailer to Elliot lake. Then ride to say halfway heaven. Stay a night, then you can ride to Dub stay another night and return. I have always wanted to do this trip and it gets less traffic then cochrane, Timmins area because there isn't allot of places to stay. The area has good snow this year too. Who are you riding with? The dub and wawa area's are amazing. Went to dub last year from the north side and Hearst and cochrane are plain boring compared to this area. It is a nice ride.

Why not trailer to Elliot lake. Then ride to say halfway heaven. Stay a night, then you can ride to Dub stay another night and return. I have always wanted to do this trip and it gets less traffic then cochrane, Timmins area because there isn't allot of places to stay. The area has good snow this year too. Who are you riding with? The dub and wawa area's are amazing. Went to dub last year from the north side and Hearst and cochrane are plain boring compared to this area. It is a nice ride.

Never been to Timmins or Cochrane, but Elliot Lake sounds like a good ride too.  Are there any areas I would have to watch where there is no gas.  I was reading they don't have gas in searchmont I think it was.  Also any recommendations on places to stay?  Don't need anything to special will just be a buddy and I riding.  Thanks

Never been to Timmins or Cochrane, but Elliot Lake sounds like a good ride too. Are there any areas I would have to watch where there is no gas. I was reading they don't have gas in

searchmont I think it was. Also any

recommendations on places to stay? Don't need

anything to special will just be a buddy and I

riding. Thanks

I have been doing research! Dunlop lake lodge

is a great spot to go. No gas in search mount.

There is gas in Aubrey falls, halfway has gas

farther north (call a day ahead to verify). 125

kms to aubrey and 175 kms to halfway. Halfway

would be a great spot to stay for the night, then

you can head back or go to Dub (magpie relays

is the place to stay there) amazing ride there,

gas in wawa and lunch there too. About 225 kms

to dub from halfway. Really enjoyed the area

last year and snow is great this year. Would be

an amazing ride if you can swing four days!

Another option is to ride from Sudbury to Elliot lake and back. A few places to stay in Sudbury. Not sure how much time you have.

I have been doing research! Dunlop lake lodge

is a great spot to go. No gas in search mount.

There is gas in Aubrey falls, halfway has gas

farther north (call a day ahead to verify). 125

kms to aubrey and 175 kms to halfway. Halfway

would be a great spot to stay for the night, then

you can head back or go to Dub (magpie relays

is the place to stay there) amazing ride there,

gas in wawa and lunch there too. About 225 kms

to dub from halfway. Really enjoyed the area

last year and snow is great this year. Would be

an amazing ride if you can swing four days!

Another option is to ride from Sudbury to Elliot lake and back. A few places to stay in Sudbury. Not sure how much time you have.

Thanks for the info, planning on riding from Sudbury to Dunlop lodge, for Friday.  Saturday would really like to do Dunlop to Wawa, still debating if this is do able.  Are these trails fast and open or will they take some time to get through?  Would like to hear if anyone has road from Dunlop to Wawa lol.

Thanks for the info, planning on riding from Sudbury to Dunlop lodge, for Friday.  Saturday would really like to do Dunlop to Wawa, still debating if this is do able.  Are these trails fast and open or will they take some time to get through?  Would like to hear if anyone has road from Dunlop to Wawa lol.

No idea! I tried to find the same info. If you leave early should be ok. I have done 330 Kim's farther north from dub to hornepayne in an easy day. Trails should be wide and smooth. I have heard the F trail from Elliot lake to Aubrey is hilly and rugged. Apparently faster once you get off that and head towards halfway.

No idea! I tried to find the same info. If you leave early should be ok. I have done 330 Kim's farther north from dub to hornepayne in an easy day. Trails should be wide and smooth. I have heard the F trail from Elliot lake to Aubrey is hilly and rugged. Apparently faster once you get off that and head towards halfway.

Sounds good, thanks a lot viperules700. We will be making that long ride from Dunlop to wawa. Will give an update on how we make out.

Archived