Question re lakes vs. trails

speedy

Hi, hoping someone can help clear something up for me.  My boys went out on Scugog this weekend and told me they were stopped on the lake by the police who wanted to see drivers licenses, insurance etc...  I was under the impression that a sled on a lake could be operated by anybody whether licensed or not.  My boys are licensed so it wasn't an issue just a curiosity.  Thanks! 

The lake is public domain. You need a license, registration and insurance. The only thing you do not require is a trail permit. You can only operate a snowmobile without these items on your own property. Just like boating in summer - the police can stop you and ask for your documentation.

Not sure of the rules I got stoped on lob last year by myself by two cops on sleds. They came straight at me and turned their lights on about 200 feet away. All they asked for was my licence as well and said have a good day.

The lake is public domain. You need a license, registration and insurance. The only thing you do not require is a trail permit. You can only operate a snowmobile without these items on your own property. Just like boating in summer - the police can stop you and ask for your documentation.

Agree! 

The ONLY place you can ride without rules is on YOUR own private property.

x3  

Archived