Info on Giants Tomb Island?

TheNavigator

Is it SAFE enough to venture out to The Tomb yet?   Anyone, locals... been out that way yet?

Was out for a ride last year around this same time with Blake G & Nunz, awesome views of the caves

I have heard ppl have been out there this year but it was rough.

RR

Yes they are running out there. I wouldnt use the word safe, but they are running out to it....

One of our locals who rides the ice regularly mentioned that most of the ice facing towards open water is worse than the roughest trail you are going to find with chunks of ice popped up everywhere. He suggested you can't even really try and go around them... too many too close to each other.

One of our locals who rides the ice regularly mentioned that most of the ice facing towards open water is worse than the roughest trail you are going to find with chunks of ice popped up everywhere. He suggested you can't even really try and go around them... too many too close to each other.

Don't forget about the ice chunks that you cannot see covered by snow.  Ice is really rough this year.

Was launched about 20' few days ago traveling my "Known Safe Route"  drift covered the wrong side of the island I use as a waypoint to turn.

I spoke with one person late yesterday who set out for the ice caves on Sunday and turned around.... said the rough ride just wasn't worth it to him.

Is there enough snow cover on the ice?

RR

Thanks for the safety warnings, group.

Gonna give it some more time.

I thought the word from the news stations, last year, was that the Giant's Tomb Island caves are inaccessible in most normal years...

I think that was because in past years the ice never froze good enough to run out there.

RR

The caves are on the far side of the island (main body of water) which makes it difficult to get too, most years.

Typically you will be dealing with shards of ice going out there. Still a bit early, need more snow to get out to it safely.

Archived