Etec - Is all this reliability bashing justified?

sledzz

great,just have to buy new every couple yrs because of innovative improvements Polaris makes yr to yr...o boy

Lmao!!!! (Maybe the CFI in borrowed time after 5000miles is the reason...)

We used to have Yamaha as being a reliable alternative to BRP, but sadly they have become junk quickly merging with cat.  Just watch Yellowknifes youtube vids and see what garbage those Vipers are.

First Yamaha never merged with Cat! Cat bought their engine and built a sled for them. How you get merged with them out of that I don't know. Was it a good idea or not I can only speculate. For Cat they got a better engine supplier, for Yamaha they got a Nytro replacement. With the Viper turbo mountain sled they got something for the steep and deep. My brother loves his! Japan is still rebuilding and with power issues ect I think the Cat deal was a good one. It buys Yamaha time to build a few new sleds or so the plan is!

The Viper is 95% Cat and all the problems with it are Cats problems not Yamaha's! The motor is still the most reliable but its a Catamaha and it sticks in the craw of the Yamaha faithful. Catamaha! Its not a Yamaha! It has a Yamaha Motor, clutches and Cat electronics, fuel injection and chassis! If you put a Cummins in a Dodge its still a Dodge not a Cummins! K end of my rant!

But other then Yellowknife very few of all the Catamahas have his problems! Welcome to the internet! My buddy has one and in all the riding I've done with him he has not had any of Yellowknife's issues. Go figure! Other then Yellowknife the internet is not full of people with these issues.

It would be like my Nephew who has a 800 Summit that is a pile of crap in his eyes with chaincase failures, electronic shutdowns and the worst clutching ever put on a sled being the representative of all Doo's. Not an accurate picture. Or is it?

Four strokes are more reliable and can last up to 80,000 miles so far (130,000kms), two strokes only dream of that. First engine service on a Yamaha 4 stroke is 27,000 miles around 43,000kms. The Doo 1200 is in that league but the Doo two stroke is not. I went to fourstrokes for that reason and bought first a RX Warrior and put 18,000 miles on it then an Apex XTX and have 7,000 miles on it. Both motors have run flawlessly and are as strong as when new. Only other sled I would ever consider is the Doo 1200. Nice reliable sled I ride with a couple guys with them. To many two stroke failures in my past to ever go back to trading up every two years to get a new motor. Two more of the Doo faithful I ride with just went to four strokes this year. They are touring types like me. 

First Yamaha never merged with Cat! Cat bought their engine and built a sled for them. How you get merged with them out of that I don't know. Was it a good idea or not I can only speculate. For Cat they got a better engine supplier, for Yamaha they got a Nytro replacement. With the Viper turbo mountain sled they got something for the steep and deep. My brother loves his! Japan is still rebuilding and with power issues ect I think the Cat deal was a good one. It buys Yamaha time to build a few new sleds or so the plan is!

The Viper is 95% Cat and all the problems with it are Cats problems not Yamaha's! The motor is still the most reliable but its a Catamaha and it sticks in the craw of the Yamaha faithful. Catamaha! Its not a Yamaha! It has a Yamaha Motor, clutches and Cat electronics, fuel injection and chassis! If you put a Cummins in a Dodge its still a Dodge not a Cummins! K end of my rant!

But other then Yellowknife very few of all the Catamahas have his problems! Welcome to the internet! My buddy has one and in all the riding I've done with him he has not had any of Yellowknife's issues. Go figure! Other then Yellowknife the internet is not full of people with these issues.

It would be like my Nephew who has a 800 Summit that is a pile of crap in his eyes with chaincase failures, electronic shutdowns and the worst clutching ever put on a sled being the representative of all Doo's. Not an accurate picture. Or is it?

Four strokes are more reliable and can last up to 80,000 miles so far (130,000kms), two strokes only dream of that. First engine service on a Yamaha 4 stroke is 27,000 miles around 43,000kms. The Doo 1200 is in that league but the Doo two stroke is not. I went to fourstrokes for that reason and bought first a RX Warrior and put 18,000 miles on it then an Apex XTX and have 7,000 miles on it. Both motors have run flawlessly and are as strong as when new. Only other sled I would ever consider is the Doo 1200. Nice reliable sled I ride with a couple guys with them. To many two stroke failures in my past to ever go back to trading up every two years to get a new motor. Two more of the Doo faithful I ride with just went to four strokes this year. They are touring types like me.

Well said!

Well said! yamaha WILL be back with something good! This deal with cat gives them time to build it. New vipers are sweet, but I hate that there's green blood in there...I want an all yamaha sled personally.

I hope so! 

the computer programming issue was yamahas as well as the the fricking relays

Isoflex that lubs tha crank bearings is rated for 300 hours or less than two seasons for me, so I would say that if you ride very little you can go may seasons, if you ride alot you need to do maintenance on the bearing lube and top end refreshes often.

Just bought a 2015 Renegade Etec 600. Have read many posts about the engines not being reliable?? Is this justified or is it only the problematic ones being reported / talked about?? I am not one to really push it to its limit, just a touring type. Let me know what your thoughts are, and things I should watch for to have a trouble free Etec experience.

Thanks!

run the skidoo full synthetic oil,

go buy the book for brake in. 

run 91 for fuel ,

little bit of fuel conditioner every couple tanks

do not use octane booster

thats about it

I hope so!

That's the rumour anyways...

the computer programming issue was yamahas as well as the the fricking relays

Yamaha engineers trying to make Cat crap work. No problems with the all Yamaha sleds.

Isoflex that lubs tha crank bearings is rated for 300 hours or less than two seasons for me, so I would say that if you ride very little you can go may seasons, if you ride alot you need to do maintenance on the bearing lube and top end refreshes often.

The main reason I don't want one! Not conducive to high mileage without disassembly! I can keep the rest of the sled running but tearing down engines does not top my list of maintenance that I want to do. I want the motor to run for 40,000kms with only oil changes and spark plugs.

Archived