Alternative to a Motel - Yurts

02Sled

Not sure what the rates are but it seems there are a number of Yurts available in 10 Provincial Parks this winter. - Not sure my wife would buy into the concept.

http://cottagelife.com/96682/environment/tips-environment/10-yurts-you-can-camp-in-year-round-2

Winter camping can be very intimidating—you have to battle freezing temperatures, heavy winds, and deep snow. Though some outdoor enthusiasts relish the challenge of extreme weather, most of us would rather not fuss with tarps and air mattresses when it’s below zero.

That being said, we also don’t want to miss out on the good parts of winter adventures—hiking in the crisp, fresh air, exploring white forest wonderlands, and snuggling up with loved ones at the end of the day to keep warm. So how can we experience the best of winter camping without the pain of winter tenting? Yurts have become a popular alternative for those interested in camping year round. Here are some campsites that offer yurt rentals throughout the whole year.

Have been to Algonquin twice renting a Yurt. One trip was very mild only -5 at night but the other one was -25C at night. Pretty comfortable and the stars were amazing.

Much better than winter camping in a tent. 

Might do it again this year.

Good for those "cottage life long moonlit beach walker" types I suppose, but if your main purpose is sledding, you would spend waaay too much time trudging in your gear, getting set up, getting warm, feeding yourself, getting up the courage for a -30 celcius deep woods dump, etc.

Give me a simple place with sled parked outside your door, direct trail access, microwave (meals ready to eat, no waiting, better food quality) fridge for snacks, flush toilets, hot water, wifi for trail and weather reports, tv for the off hours, and you're speaking my language. I usually bring my own coffee maker just in case the one supplied is the one cup version.

Was going to ask "Whats a Yurt?" but I see now.  The wife would likely consider that grounds for divorce.

Canuck once told me that his wife refers to Deerhurst as "the mother ship". When my wife and I went there I mentioned it to her and she has adopted that line. Normally we stay in a small, clean and comfortable motel in Midland during the winter months and ride from Port Severn. One winter a number of years ago I made a mistake. I booked us in the Inn at Christies Mill and made an appointment for her for the spa for the end of the riding day then dinner in the dining room. Big mistake... it has now become a requirement that at least once a sledding season she gets a repeat session at one of the upscale places. She tells me she is worth it and I can't argue with that.

I heard a good phrase a while back. Don't question your spouses choices. You were one of them.

Canuck once told me that his wife refers to Deerhurst as "the mother ship". When my wife and I went there I mentioned it to her and she has adopted that line. Normally we stay in a small, clean and comfortable motel in Midland during the winter months and ride from Port Severn. One winter a number of years ago I made a mistake. I booked us in the Inn at Christies Mill and made an appointment for her for the spa for the end of the riding day then dinner in the dining room. Big mistake... it has now become a requirement that at least once a sledding season she gets a repeat session at one of the upscale places. She tells me she is worth it and I can't argue with that.

I heard a good phrase a while back. Don't question your spouses choices. You were one of them.

I think us guys all get blackmailed that way at one time or another.

People live in Yurts all year round. This looks real homey! Electricity and wood heat, now if you could only sled to it.

post-22655-0-88027800-1417643902_thumb.png

Archived