manitouwadge offtrail trip part 2

skidooboy

loading up the final bags, planning on leaving the house shortly. will try to update as time permits. going to be a long night, especially with me fighting a cold. at least the sun is out and the drive looks mostly dry. time will tell. 550 miles in the truck, here we come. Ski

Watch out for the snowstorm you're just about into by now .....

uneventful drive up, made GREAT TIME (just shy of 10 hours door to door). mostly dry roads except where the road was open to the southeast (very few places) where the wind whipped snow on to the road. barring 2 spots between white river and mani where the road was salted and wet, for about 100 metres, my truck would have made it to the "wadge" clean and dry :(

started spitting snow about 100am (arrival time in mani) and by 630am we had about 3-4" of fresh fluff. going to start slow (still in a fog from driving), break in the sled nice and easy and check for any "assembly issues" today. then tomorrow will be riding with Dan Kelly from sled north. and sunday we will be heading to the Epic powder we left untouched due to the "rock hit".

Ski

sled ran great, after the repairs, no problems. it trenches a bit in the deep more, i just gotta adjust it a bit, to balance it out. THE SNOW IS EPIC DEEP, WITH NO BASE, TRUELY BOTTOMLESS.  we rec'd about 8" of fresh snow in the last 18 hours. i went through 12  gallons of gas in 65 miles. it would truely be almost impossible for anyone but,  those with mountain sleds or wide track utility sleds to go anywhere where there are no earlier tracks. it is tough riding for the mountain sleds. almost riding throttle to the bar most of the time. bigger loop tomorrow. Ski

sled ran great, after the repairs, no problems. it trenches a bit in the deep more, i just gotta adjust it a bit, to balance it out. THE SNOW IS EPIC DEEP, WITH NO BASE, TRUELY BOTTOMLESS.  we rec'd about 8" of fresh snow in the last 18 hours. i went through 12  gallons of gas in 65 miles. it would truely be almost impossible for anyone but,  those with mountain sleds or wide track utility sleds to go anywhere where there are no earlier tracks. it is tough riding for the mountain sleds. almost riding throttle to the bar most of the time. bigger loop tomorrow. Ski

excellent 

ski have a great time keep us posted

zrtkat

So it is sugar and not powder then?

Those cold temps like to turn everything to sugar - all the way to the ground. 

yep soft fluff on top, sugar to the ground. DEEP, DEEP, DEEP!!!

rode 115 miles today. i took my 3 gallon can, and a five gallon can on the running board for the first 42 klicks (road riding). lynne had her 3 gallon can, and Dan took a 2.5 gallon can. we got to the 42 km mark, i dumped my can in to top it off, dan dumped his 2.5 to top his, and lynne left her can on her sled for emergencies. we left the five gallon can at that point for the ride in to town for the 3 of us to split.

the first 12 km from there had a track in it. from there  it was all powder and deep. my sled started acting funny and wouldnt rev past 7000. (should go to about 81-8200). if i stayed below 7000 it ran fine but, had no power for big hills without a track on it. we swapped leads for everyone to break trail, and use lots of fuel.

we had lunch at the far north end of the loop, only about 10 miles from caramat. if there was fuel in caramat, we would have went there. :D lynne put her can in her sled at that point.

we turned west for about 6 miles or so, then back south and east torward the fuel dump. all of us praying to get back to our tracks instead of being in the powder with the limited fuel we had.  we put Dan on his 600 ETEC between lynne and i as his fuel light came on, and he was going to be the first out. the little 600 sucked the fuel in the DEEP.

i kept watching the gps telling me how far we were from fuel, 20 miles, 15 miles, 10 miles and now were back on our tracks from earlier in the day, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, i can see the stop sign, WHEW, THERE ARE THE FUEL CANS. 2 gallons in Dan's, 1.5 in lynnes (gets best mileage), 2 gallons in mine, 42 klicks to go home, all tracked and plowed road.

made it into town as the sun was setting. tinkered with my sled thinking it was a clutching issue like a bad bushing or broken spring in the primary or secondary. cleaned the secondary. put a new spring in it, same result, no top end rpms. tried to pull the primary, couldnt get it to pop. (had a spare in the truck). looked at the sping, rollers, and weights it all looks good. might be a reed, or a motor going south. going to pack up tomorrow, and head home tomorrow pm or monday morning.

will update if things change. :( Ski

You have a spare primary and a new secondary spring with you, but no compression tester?

usually have the comp tester, forgot to put it in the box. my "motor guy" said it could be a broken powervalve cable, and the ecu reads the servo moving so, no code. he also said the stator could be on the way out, with one of the high speed coils going bad. he said that is why it only shows up over 7000 rpms. going to go out for a looksee but, i think,  i am too sore and tired to ride today after yesterdays beating. :D

the sled runs crisp, and has good response until you push it to the wood, and the rpms get over 7000. seems like something is binding holding it back, (clutching), or plugging it up (powervalve), or... the gearing and new drive definately are not an issue, on a hill on the road i stopped to take a pic of the sunset, and the sled started rolling down the hill, to the point i had to apply and set the parking brake to keep it stopped. so it is free wheeling very well. Ski

usually have the comp tester, forgot to put it in the box. my "motor guy" said it could be a broken powervalve cable, and the ecu reads the servo moving so, no code. he also said the stator could be on the way out, with one of the high speed coils going bad. he said that is why it only shows up over 7000 rpms. going to go out for a looksee but, i think,  i am too sore and tired to ride today after yesterdays beating. :D

the sled runs crisp, and has good response until you push it to the wood, and the rpms get over 7000. seems like something is binding holding it back, (clutching), or plugging it up (powervalve), or... the gearing and new drive definately are not an issue, on a hill on the road i stopped to take a pic of the sunset, and the sled started rolling down the hill, to the point i had to apply and set the parking brake to keep it stopped. so it is free wheeling very well. Ski

likely power valve

mag side powervalve cable broken. no codes because the servo still cycles. stm brp style valves will get ordered tomorrow. Ski

mag side powervalve cable broken. no codes because the servo still cycles. stm brp style valves will get ordered tomorrow. Ski

I would just replace the cables we do not see many failures

stm brp style 

What is this - some mechanical option?

I had an old 470 Doo (just a few yrs ago) that had a rev limiter on it. It would run strong up to the limiter, and even run smooth when setting on it. Just would not pass it - even on the stand. Had to be a stator or something like that, but it was fine for the kids, so I didn't invest too heavily in fixing it.

Like the rave valve system on your doo. the powervalve is controled by exhaust pressure, not cables and servos. the laydown 800 suzuki motor in the cat, has cable and servo issues in some applications. STM is a michigan company that has adapted the doo style powervalve for cable/servo applications. it aint cheap but, if you have to replace the cables and the servo motor you are very close to buying the aftermarket upgrade, and never have to deal with this issue again.

http://stmpowersports.com/power-valves/

Ski

• 3 weeks later...

I started a whole new thread and had it all done, but got rejected doo to it didn't like my pics. 

???

So I will post this one to show that there was a wee bit of snow if it will work here.

DSCN0628_zpsdc5ace72.jpg

Archived