Family Day Weekend Loop Advice

aar0n

BTW....for this long weekend, is the fri or the mon the holiday?   I know in US mon is pres day.

Dan

Monday is the holiday.

Aaron, I would do the route you suggested, there will be alot of traffic around Gravenhurst with the PETA ride on Saturday... If you go to Kearney go see the ice caves..very cool..

Nunz

Where exactly are the ice caves? we rode down the trail where the ice caves are supposed to be. Saw the sign at the beginning of the trail but no indications after that. We got out onto the lake and not being familar with the area turned back. Did we need to follow the tracks across the lake?

Thanks

Yup .. It's about a 30 second run across the lake. You can't miss the caves at the end.

Hey Aaron, what about a Sat loop out over to Kawagama, then 64 to Kennissis, then out to St Nora Via Big Hawk. Then your Super highway to Baysville? Thats a good loop on an otherwise busy Saturday. Just a thought.

Where exactly are the ice caves? we rode down the trail where the ice caves are supposed to be. Saw the sign at the beginning of the trail but no indications after that. We got out onto the lake and not being familar with the area turned back. Did we need to follow the tracks across the lake?

Thanks

Yes you needed to the follow the tracks to the caves. I have no idea how thick the ice is. Last February there were quite a few tracks and we saw no slush on the day we were in the area.

I attached a map. Click to enlarge.

I think I put the red circle in the approximate location of the ice caves. Someone more familiar with the area can correct me if I am wrong.

post-22473-0-65805000-1392418135_thumb.jpg

Good job Blake. One of the things I like best about the people on this site is how much they take the time to help out.

Hey Aaron, what about a Sat loop out over to Kawagama, then 64 to Kennissis, then out to St Nora Via Big Hawk. Then your Super highway to Baysville? Thats a good loop on an otherwise busy Saturday. Just a thought.

Great suggestion! Doing that tomorrow am. beat after today's 240km ride!

Good one!....great feeling!

Archived