Sturgeon - Bobcaygeon

mgooding

Over the Christmas break I made my way over to Bobcaygeon from Kinmount. Lots of road running from Kinmount so I decided to come back on the railine. Also, where the trail came ends at Bobcaygeon was off of the main drag. Is there anyway I can hop on and off of Sturgeon near Bobcaygeon?

I don't know the answer to that question but I'm sure grizzlygriff or blue-er can help you. They know that area well. 

Unless you know the lake wouldn't be there can be real dicey from birchpoint into caygeon. But if you do stay close to shore real close. As for getting on sturgeon in caygeon get on Little bob channel at the bridge on 36 by the esso don't let up under bridges

From twin mountains you have to get on Pigeon at Nogies Creek , go south behind Big Island and then run to the Dam at little Bob Channel.  Under the 2 bridges and if you do not wish to go directly into Sturgeon (Can be real thin), you can get up onto 24 on the North side of the bridge at 24 and you can run the side of 24 to Birch Point and get on.  Then you have to run Sturgeon into Ken Reid and go onto the railine beside the bridge because I believe the exit to the North we normally took is closed.  Best to go with someone who knows the first time.

Also, do be careful under the bridges. Sometimes ice heaves make jumps under the bridge.  Heard a kid was killed last week hitting one of the bridges after hitting a pressure crack. Someone just told me about it but I have not seen any announcements about it.

Ok. I am not too worried about hitting a little bit if open water, but I'll be careful.

• 3 weeks later...

From twin mountains you have to get on Pigeon at Nogies Creek , go south behind Big Island and then run to the Dam at little Bob Channel.  Under the 2 bridges and if you do not wish to go directly into Sturgeon (Can be real thin), you can get up onto 24 on the North side of the bridge at 24 and you can run the side of 24 to Birch Point and get on.  Then you have to run Sturgeon into Ken Reid and go onto the railine beside the bridge because I believe the exit to the North we normally took is closed.  Best to go with someone who knows the first time.

Also, do be careful under the bridges. Sometimes ice heaves make jumps under the bridge.  Heard a kid was killed last week hitting one of the bridges after hitting a pressure crack. Someone just told me about it but I have not seen any announcements about it.

Can I get around the damn and go from Sturgeon to pigeon quite easily?  do a lot of people do this?

Can I get around the damn and go from Sturgeon to pigeon quite easily?  do a lot of people do this?

Yes, and yes. GrizzlyGriff showed me this route today.  You can run Little Bob channel, then jog up and around the dam to the SE. 

1zv7fjk.png

Yes, and yes. GrizzlyGriff showed me this route today. You can run Little Bob channel, then jog up and around the dam to the SE.

1zv7fjk.png

Awesome. Would I be able to run pigeon to little bald lake and meet up with trail 501 to get into Buckhorn?

Or is there open water there somewhere.

Cool run...head a little to the right as you cross Pigeon after leaving the dam..across the lake and turn North behind Big Island.  Swing right as you come out from behind the island and follow the tracks into little Bald and Big Bald.  Staked from Oakshores  Marina though to swamp and then across 36 onto the trail.  Stop sat Oak Shores Marina for Breakfast or Lunch on the weekend.  Nice people run the place.

Wow, WW..great map  :icon_clapclap:  :icon_clapclap:

Its being run right up sturgeon to little bob now, little thin spot at the greenish boathouse has u come round final point into little bob.

I have always run around north end of island with zero issues never . Got the detour round the south

http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/4301264-bobcaygeon-teenager-killed-in-weekend-snowmobile-crash/

very sad 

Sad.  I hope everyone continues to have a safe winter.

terrible news...poor kid & family

very very sad...my boy is 17 ...

Archived