District 13 boundrey change

Elliotgroomer

The Elliot Lake Snowbirds Snowmobile Club welcomes the Chapleau Arctic Watershed Snowmobile Club into district 13   :console:

Black Creek Outfitters have requested that a groomer be stationed there near Aubrey Falls.  Grooming eminating from that point could open the F Trail north to Chapleau (at least to Flame Lake Lodge) much earlier and connect the District once again from south to north. 

This groomer could also help with the long run toward Eliot Lake F Trail (southeast) and back toward Searchmont (northwest New loop trail to Whitman Dam Road) as well as the D106 Trail (southwest) toward the D Trail connection near Bruce Mines. 

There are 4 groomed trails feeding this spot at Black Creek and it has become a true "Hub" on the trail system.  They have gas and cabins and are RELIABLY open which is keeping this part of the trail system open.

I hope that the request to stage a groomer is honored since these are "volunteers" which everyone has been looking for to keep the system intact. 

This could shorten 4 long grooming runs, but most important could actually OPEN a link as soon as conditions are available rather than for a couple weeks at the end of the season.  The F-Trail could once again join Eliot Lake and SSM with Chapleau - Wawa - Dub - Hornepayne - Hearst - and beyond.

Glad to see Chapleau as part of District 13. 

This could shorten 4 long grooming runs, but most important could actually OPEN a link as soon as conditions are available rather than for a couple weeks at the end of the season.  The F-Trail could once again join Eliot Lake and SSM with Chapleau - Wawa - Dub - Hornepayne - Hearst - and beyond.

Wonderful news! Thanks for providing the update.

Please keep everyone posted so that we can make plans to visit.

Elliot Lake is an awesome staging area.

.... and back toward Searchmont (northwest New loop trail to Whitman Dam Road) as well as.....

Where does this run? Up the Domtar?

The Domtar is plowed about 2 out of 3 years.

Would be great some years, but not a long term solution.

Somewhere else?

Totally agree that we need a groomer stationed at Aubrey/Black Creek to groom a days run out and back on each of the 4 trails.  Maps there are some on the Sault Trailblazers web site

OK - I see the maps on their site.

searchmont-aubrey-loop.jpg

So that IS running up the Domtar after picking up that 2-track after jumping off of F just N of Johnny's, and going through the park. Someone must have really cleaned that trail out then. Last time we went through there it was so tight that I thought that I went wrong somewhere. 

.....But I didn't...  ;-)

But what gets me even more is the labeling of "alternate route". 

I haven't been through there in some time, but as best that I can remember - that will take some effort to get a groomer through there! Pretty sure we went through there back in '02 ONCE! 

It was slow and a lot of work.

???

I don't think that getting to that intersection will be an end-all fix tho.

If the Domtar is plowed at all - they would likely have to get up to "Short Cut Road" before they can count on it not being plowed.

Shortcut road has a bridge out - but is only a small splash through crick. (It doesn't look small and shallow when there is 4' of snow on both side tho) Could easily be plowed full with a groomer (if they dare doo that these days), but I don't see the trucks ever using it in the winter. 

My chumm is hoping to get up there for our occasional Mid November trail clean and winter camping outting again next yr, so maybe this would be a place to hit one day? Long as we don't get shot.... Might ought to wear orange that close to swivilization.... 

There were 6 of us including my daughter that took the alternate route last season.  It was not for all people as it went up some really big hills and cut back down accross some creek beds.  They do not groom the alternate, but guys like you would have been fine getting through.

I took the Domitar route many times last season and it was a wonderfull addition to riding from the Soo area.  We went to Elliot Lake on 4 weekend trips because this trail was so much better than the D106.  Much more remote and untouched.  The trails were not the type you fight after Primou Lake on the D106.

Ox, the Trailblazers brushed the last portion of the new trail just a month ago, so it will be much better.  The groomer did open it up last year, but now it will be real nice!

Great trail to explore for many riders.

Scott, we will have to get a couples ride together for a weekend in this area this year. Ski

Sounds great Ski.

This is a picture from one of our rides on that trail last year.  We want to go to Flame Lake if the conditions are there.IMG_1223.jpg

love going to flame lake. maybe we can get lucky and run the old D trail to south of halfway, and into chapleau, then down to karen and gary's. stay the night there, then back to blueberry hill for sunday. nice two day up and back. Ski

There were 6 of us including my daughter that took the alternate route last season.  It was not for all people as it went up some really big hills and cut back down accross some creek beds.  They do not groom the alternate, but guys like you would have been fine getting through.

I took the Domitar route many times last season and it was a wonderfull addition to riding from the Soo area.  We went to Elliot Lake on 4 weekend trips because this trail was so much better than the D106.  Much more remote and untouched.  The trails were not the type you fight after Primou Lake on the D106.

Ox, the Trailblazers brushed the last portion of the new trail just a month ago, so it will be much better.  The groomer did open it up last year, but now it will be real nice!

Great trail to explore for many riders.

Then you took it up to the river and followed the trail back to Domtar then?

That river is usually open water all the way too...

I am sure that we went through there once - yrs ago as I recall comming out to the river once, but never took that route again.

When comming down the two track from F/Johnny's, when the trail goes under the hydro, as I recall - it crosses in a tight V bottom valley. 

I don't recall what is between there and the river anymore? Shirley you don't go up the hill from that crossing. ???

There must be service road access nearby. ???

Other than this first yr - I have never remembered how we got through there... Since then we have just taken the trail out to Domtar and done that instead. 

Pretty sure that is big country back in that section aint it?

I have no idea why it put my reply in your quote, but I kant get it cleaned up. 

Just realize that the second quote above is me - not AC.

love going to flame lake. maybe we can get lucky and run the old D trail to south of halfway, and into chapleau, then down to karen and gary's. stay the night there, then back to blueberry hill for sunday. nice two day up and back. Ski

That would be a great loop!

I am hoping the logging and plowed roads have moved this year so we can go straight through to Chapleau.  Already planning that trip.  Last year we made it to the powerline just south of Halfway Haven when we popped over a plowed bank to find miles of "plowed to dirt" road.  We had to go back to Searchmont for fuel.  Never got to the extra gas we had along. but it was close.  If there is snow, 135 miles from Searchmont to the gas station in Chapleau.  Back when the D trail was groomed all the way, it took less than 4 hrs. with a couple small breaks.  Now it is groomed up to Domitar and a few tracks up to some camps for another 20 miles.  Then it is good until you hit any plowed roads.

IMG_1233.jpg

This is where the optional cut through starts off Domitar.IMG_1212.jpg

Yeah - I know where that end is.

I am trying to remember the other end of it - at the park access road.

Pretty sure that the park road is down in a valley when it goes under the hydro and there Shirley aint a trail up over the hill from down in there that I recall. 

I see a toboggan. I take it that those are not your crew. ???

(and no Pol in your history) LOL!

Might see aboot getting that way aggin - just fer grins.

This is Domitar where the Soo had parked the groomer just before the cut through to the F Trail.

IMG_1208.jpg

They parked the groomer 2-1/2 hours drive from home?

Yeah - I know where that end is.

I am trying to remember the other end of it - at the park access road.

Pretty sure that the park road is down in a valley when it goes under the hydro and there Shirley aint a trail up over the hill from down in there that I recall. 

IMG_1164.jpg

.Hydro line it runs under.  This is the cut through trail.

They parked the groomer 2-1/2 hours drive from home?

They sure did.  They were coming back the next day, but obviously had driven it far enough already. 

Elliot Lake is also a great day ride from the Soo and opens up so much!  This Domtar Road loop trail is my favorite link to Elliot Lake!

IMG_1183.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Black Creek Outfitters have requested that a groomer be stationed there near Aubrey Falls.  Grooming eminating from that point could open the F Trail north to Chapleau (at least to Flame Lake Lodge) much earlier and connect the District once again from south to north. 

This groomer could also help with the long run toward Eliot Lake F Trail (southeast) and back toward Searchmont (northwest New loop trail to Whitman Dam Road) as well as the D106 Trail (southwest) toward the D Trail connection near Bruce Mines. 

There are 4 groomed trails feeding this spot at Black Creek and it has become a true "Hub" on the trail system.  They have gas and cabins and are RELIABLY open which is keeping this part of the trail system open.

I hope that the request to stage a groomer is honored since these are "volunteers" which everyone has been looking for to keep the system intact. 

Glad to see Chapleau as part of District 13. 

Looks like it is actually happening!

The Groomer Guy Blog has it and a groomer is also to be stationed at Flame Lake!

Great news for District 13 and how it can all be tied back together for this year.

I first heard of this possibility from Dan senior in the SSM club when he was organizing support for the groomer at Black Creek Outfitters.

Archived