Ontario Snowmobiler.ca - Information for the Ontario Snowmobiler!

blakesnowcrest

Okay guys and girls, introducing a new and exciting way of getting information on snowmobiling in Ontario...
OntarioSnowmobiler.ca is a fresh new idea to inform the snowmobiling community with current news, tips, travel ideas etc throughout the province via an internet talk radio podcast.
The OntarioSnowmobiler.ca podcast is a volunteer driven grass roots internet radio show with costs being funded through a crowd sourcing campaign, we need $1,500 to make this possible to cover costs of equipment and services as we are all volunteers putting it together. The weekly show will be hosted by Dave "Krusty" Hunt and Paul "Yukon" Ineson , with weekly guests from all avenues of snowmobiling from across the province. Those involved in this project are all enthusiasts from around the province as well, Dave and Paul, Luc "The Groomer Guy" Levesque, Rick "Nutter" Sauer, Marni "Doodette" Smith, Jeff "Lucrestyle" McGirr, Andy "Iceprick1" Faulkes, and Myself.
Through our website ontariosnowmobiler.ca and facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/OntarioSnowmobiler.ca all comments are welcomed and requests for interviews can be made there as well. You can reach us at (1-855-561-4401). or email at info@ontariosnowmobiler.ca., please consider contributing today as the campaign ends in only 26 days!, the link to the crowdsource is, "http://igg.me/at/OntarioSnowmobiler/x/5089310"

-Blake S
Ontario Snowmobiler.ca

http://www.ontariosnowmobiler.ca

What kind of needs assessment or market research was conducted to ascertain whether this is a feasible enterprise?

I ask this as likely once you are up and running, you will be seeking sponsorship / advertising revenue?

How will it be different from the good information we already get from sledding forums? (particularly this one as opposed to what several of your associated people think)

Currently the commercial voices of sledding seem to be the Interprid Sledder Ned Nickerson - from whom I hear nothing all year except how great his trips are - and (checking the masthead of the sledding magazine) a whole passell of Lesters, who blah blah blah about being the message of sledding, but who have yet to demonstrate one minute ot trail work in support ot the activity that pays them.

Hope we can hear something that differs from the "media" already offered.

(I am not in any way inferring that you folks aren't / haven't done trail work or been a big support for snowmobiling.)

Hey Slomo,  I'm in this project too, We are a group of snowmobilers that want to get the information out to riders, bring a new twist, view on things, it will take a while to get thing like we want it to be,  We are just a bunch of snowmobilers trying to have fun doing what we love, we are not doing this for the money but as anyone that has to host a website are has to do with anything online it's not all free, there is equipment to buy, hosting fees and other stuff,   It's going to be fun, you will be able to listen to it your truck or car while driving in the morning or anywhere you want, it's something different.   

Give it a chance, we will see... AS you guys know I'm not one to hold back, I tell it how it is. lol

Good luck looking forward to the hearing the show!

Thanks Nytro, We just taught of trying something new, there is nothing like it right now for snowmobiling, We are a good bunch of friends spread out across Ontario that share the same passion and want to do good for the sport we all love, Why not put to good use our knowledge and skill that each of each of us have, We are definitely not in it for the money.   Stay tuned for the next episode, I will let you guys know when I will be on.  Some great topics to come up in the up coming  shows.   

Good idea and bunch of good people involved

Sounds like an interesting idea, nice to hear from those who actually part of the grass roots that keep this system running. Not a bunch of media types that get free demo sleds with permits, and gas written off as a tax deduction every year.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

:right_on:

any time anyone wants to step up and try something new and innovative to help the sport, especially when they aren't in it to put money in their own pockets... good luck and a tip of the helmet... I look forward to hearing what they put together.

any time anyone wants to step up and try something new and innovative to help the sport, especially when they aren't in it to put money in their own pockets... good luck and a tip of the helmet... I look forward to hearing what they put together.

Be that as it may, since I AM being asked for money, perhaps some due diligence here

is required. Just call me the Devil's Advocate and follow along.....

-Having spend over a decade working in television / radio / marketing I can tell you

that the $1,500.00 being asked for isn't going to last very long.Where will the money

come from for continued operation once the original $1,500 runs out?

It's obvious - from advertising and sponsorship deals.

-The members of the start up team include Mr. McGirr (Lucrestyle) who I watched on

television just last weekend doing a demo test ride for an ATV on a commercial

television ATV program. I doubt he was doing it for free. Glad to see him making a

buck, but certainly the contacts he has would make it easier to gather advertisers

and contributed material.

-I might even go so far as to say - just blue skying here - as many members of the

team hold important positions within their clubs that enable them to attend AGM's

each year for the OFSC and can likely influence this organization - maybe they feel

it is time to augment the parade of current OFSC communications free loaders and see this new

internet radio organization as the new bunch of people with their thumbs in the pie -

free sleds, passes, tours, blah, blah, blah.

Otherwise, from where is the production material / new show topics for the internet radio show coming?

Sour grapes on my part perhaps, but to quote the motto of the City of Toronto -

"Where's Mine?"

-I was asked for money. I asked in my original post what I thought were some relevant questions about what is essentially a business venture. No realistic answers so far.

-No return on investment here as I can get all the information I need from sledding forums.

-I wish you all good luck with your hobby. Have fun. Build an audience, sell ads.

- I'm out.

Be that as it may, since I AM being asked for money, perhaps some due diligence here

is required. Just call me the Devil's Advocate and follow along.....

-Having spend over a decade working in television / radio / marketing I can tell you

that the $1,500.00 being asked for isn't going to last very long.Where will the money

come from for continued operation once the original $1,500 runs out?

It's obvious - from advertising and sponsorship deals.

-The members of the start up team include Mr. McGinn (Lucrestyle) who I watched on

television ATV program. I doubt he was doing it for free. Glad to see him making a

buck, but certainly the contacts he has would make it easier to gather advertisers

-I might even go so far as to say - just blue skying here - as many members of the

team hold important positions within their clubs that enable them to attend AGM's

each year for the OFSC and can likely influence this organization - maybe they feel

it is time to augment the parade of current OFSC communications free loaders and see this new

internet radio organization as the new bunch of people with their thumbs in the pie -

free sleds, passes, tours, blah, blah, blah.

Otherwise, from where is the production material / new show topics for the internet radio show coming?

Sour grapes on my part perhaps, but to quote the motto of the City of Toronto -

"Where's Mine?"

-I was asked for money. I asked in my original post what I thought were some relevant questions about what is essentially a business venture. No realistic answers so far.

-No return on investment here as I can get all the information I need from sledding forums.

-I wish you all good luck with your hobby. Have fun. Build an audience, sell ads.

- I'm out.

I can Guarantee that Jeff will be doing it for Free.

:)

-The members of the start up team include Mr. McGinn (Lucrestyle) who I watched on

It's Mr. McGirr to you, Regarding the ATV Demo Test Ride - I as well as my buddy took a day off work to drive to Orillia to participate in that, I did not receive any travel expenses or compensation for participating other than the fun of riding a few ATV's. 

I can tell you that I do make a few bucks off my youtube channel www.youtube.com/lucrestyle - however it's around $300 or so a year which doesn't even cover my 2 OFSC trail permits, meanwhile the cost of repairing my machines after I wreck them creating awesome video's. I've written a few articles, one which appeared in Go Snowmobiling Mag - "When a Groomer Breaks" which I received no financial benefit from, it actually cost me money and time.. go figure. I have also written for Northern Ontario Travel a few articles which I am compensated for but I can tell you it isn't very much and if I took the pay vs hours to write I would be making less that $10 per hour. 

Check em out! 

http://northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/ofsc-snowmobile-tour-loops

http://northernontario.travel/snowmobiling/winter-weather-forecasts-2013-14

Why do I do all of this? Because I love the sport and love to ride! 

PS. I am VP of the Mattawa & Area Snowmobile Club - I install signs, groom trail, do mechanic work on groomer, manage a club fb account, attend monthly club and district meetings, sit on a district trail committee and provincial committee, do site inspections for infrastructure all on my own dime - Why do I do it? Because I love the sport and to ride! 

It will be way better than the insipid snowmobiler. Go for it guys

X2 - those blurbs he does are real tired.... we need something new. Not only do we have the insipid snowmobiler we also have the insipid cottager as of this summer just past.

It's Mr. McGirr to you, Regarding the ATV Demo Test Ride - I as well as my buddy took a day off work to drive to Orillia to participate in that, I did not receive any travel expenses or compensation for participating other than the fun of riding a few ATV's. 

I can tell you that I do make a few bucks off my youtube channel www.youtube.com/lucrestyle - however it's around $300 or so a year which doesn't even cover my 2 OFSC trail permits, meanwhile the cost of repairing my machines after I wreck them creating awesome video's. I've written a few articles, one which appeared in Go Snowmobiling Mag - "When a Groomer Breaks" which I received no financial benefit from, it actually cost me money and time.. go figure. I have also written for Northern Ontario Travel a few articles which I am compensated for but I can tell you it isn't very much and if I took the pay vs hours to write I would be making less that $10 per hour. 

Check em out! 

PS. I am VP of the Mattawa & Area Snowmobile Club - I install signs, groom trail, do mechanic work on groomer, manage a club fb account, attend monthly club and district meetings, sit on a district trail committee and provincial committee, do site inspections for infrastructure all on my own dime - Why do I do it? Because I love the sport and to ride! 

My apologies for mis-keyboarding your name. I have fixed it in the post above.

X2 - those blurbs he does are real tired.... we need something new. Not only do we have the insipid snowmobiler we also have the insipid cottager as of this summer just past.

What Ontario Snowmobiling needs is a marketing communications component that will reach out to non-traditional sledding people (new Canadians) and make them sledding people.

What Ontario Snowmobiling needs is a marketing communications component that will reach out to non-traditional sledding people (new Canadians) and make them sledding people.

Yup... target marketing may well help. The ethnic diversity and proportions of the population are indeed shifting. Sledding has been dominated by WASP males for many years. There is already a significant shift in the demographics with the proportion of women in the sport growing significantly. I did speak with a family at the sled show a couple of years ago. They had just moved to Canada and bought sleds. They wanted their kids to experience all that it meant to be Canadian which in their minds included enjoying winter.

Check em out! 

Jeff,anyone who even remotelly knows you is aware that your above statements are true but for some reason the people that don't know you are extremely quick to challenge your ethics or abilities.

Archived