Sledding April 20,2013 (A107C)

turbojamie

Took the A107C from our place to Elk Lake, and railway line to the old eco club house location. Also took beauty lake road to Stumpy lake shot across the lake to back track to L136 rode over to Metatchewan and back. The calcite creek was impassable.

All N All fabulous riding, if you know where your going. Gotta love it first time in my life I rode a sled on trails that are literally 8/10 still in April!

IMG_1538_zpsab5db97e.jpg

IMG_1543_zps9921443e.jpg

A lot of the same up this way. Lots of snow in the bush and on the trails but everyone has given up. I was out today and didn't see any fresh tracks outside of town. I'll admit it was a little scary as the inch of snow we got overnight might have been hiding exposed rocks. The snowmelt and rain caused a few slushy spots but still passable. The wind had drifted some of that snow so it was fun busting drifts along Turtle Lake on A110Q.

That's great news, guys.

Sledding April 20th.

Is the 'old' clubhouse location now a rest stop, with outhouse? The owner of Elk Lake Cabins was kind enough to suggest that we could find gas if we took the side trail where 'the old club house was' and I want to keep that location in mind when touring with my gas starved/Nytro riding buddy. :)

That's great news, guys.

Sledding April 20th.

Is the 'old' clubhouse location now a rest stop, with outhouse? The owner of Elk Lake Cabins was kind enough to suggest that we could find gas if we took the side trail where 'the old club house was' and I want to keep that location in mind when touring with my gas starved/Nytro riding buddy. :)

Yes, Canuck. The old clubhouse is where the side-by-side outhouse is now located. Club Echo took down the old clubhouse a few years back as it was in pretty bad shape. If I remember right, It's just a little west of the L161 and "A" intersection. I'd guess about 20 km west of Earlton where there are two gas stations. One on the A trail (Earlton Country Store 8-5pm) and one on the A108Q where it crosses Hwy 11 (8-8pm I think). I re-read your post and there is a side trail that is labelled as "X km to Kenabeek" but I don't remember if it said "gas". I can't find a listing for gas stations there.

I actually think the owner of Elk Lake meant for us to go to Kenabeek. Maybe he'll pipe in ... because I don't remember a 'gas' station sign either, but thought it was good local knowledge.

Thanks for info. regarding other fuel in the area.

great pics and awesome conditions for this time of the yr :D

A lot of the same up this way. Lots of snow in the bush and on the trails but everyone has given up. I was out today and didn't see any fresh tracks outside of town. I'll admit it was a little scary as the inch of snow we got overnight might have been hiding exposed rocks. The snowmelt and rain caused a few slushy spots but still passable. The wind had drifted some of that snow so it was fun busting drifts along Turtle Lake on A110Q.

I tried taking the same trail on the ATVs with the wife and had to turn around at one of the flooded swamps. The ATV was breaking through the ice where the sled had floated across the day before.

Gordy will be happy to fix your ATV up with tracks!

I'm here to tell yuh - those things go through the snow!

I seen his brother roar up through the snow and over the hill at his shop!

I don't know what it would take other than literally "swamping" one of those that a small shovel would have you back going aggin in less than 5 minutes?

Ideal late fall trapping machine!

Gordy will be happy to fix your ATV up with tracks!

I'm here to tell yuh - those things go through the snow!

I seen his brother roar up through the snow and over the hill at his shop!

I don't know what it would take other than literally "swamping" one of those that a small shovel would have you back going aggin in less than 5 minutes?

Ideal late fall trapping machine!

As soon as they are allowed on the snowmobile trails, I'm buying a set. Quite a few people run them up here but off-trail only and they do handle the "not too deep" snow well.

I have to say I absolutely do NOT support ATV's with tracks on the trails. IMO they cause enough trouble for snowmobile trails in the off season, the noise, dust,speed morons drive, drinking,mudding,tearing the crap out of all the trails have put such a bad image in cottager's minds in the south its nothing but an up hill battle.

I for one do not believe atv's should use snowmobile trails unless the funds are raised by the atv clubs to send in equipment to fill the holes, ruts, and exposed rocks ATV's dig up.

I have to say I absolutely do NOT support ATV's with tracks on the trails. IMO they cause enough trouble for snowmobile trails in the off season, the noise, dust,speed morons drive, drinking,mudding,tearing the crap out of all the trails have put such a bad image in cottager's minds in the south its nothing but an up hill battle.

I for one do not believe atv's should use snowmobile trails unless the funds are raised by the atv clubs to send in equipment to fill the holes, ruts, and exposed rocks ATV's dig up.

I see your side of the coin. I don't know if my ATV with tracks would even have enough power to spin them, let alone tear-up the trail. As for speed, I think the lowly Yamaha Bravo could outrun most ATVs equipped with tracks. Irresponsible drivers exist in any off-road activity, unfortunately, snowmobiling has it's share of bozzos as well.

Took the A107C from our place to Elk Lake, and railway line to the old eco club house location. Also took beauty lake road to Stumpy lake shot across the lake to back track to L136 rode over to Metatchewan and back. The calcite creek was impassable.

All N All fabulous riding, if you know where your going. Gotta love it first time in my life I rode a sled on trails that are literally 8/10 still in April!

IMG_1538_zpsab5db97e.jpg

IMG_1543_zps9921443e.jpg

Hi Jamie

Isn't that something else. Like you said the trails are still incredible. The lake has lots of ice too.. Winter has definatly hung on . I bet you still had fun crossing the big ditch near Tower road and your " can-am" creek...LOL.. We just took our sign off the lake Sunday and I had to Chip it out with the ice spud... Looks like winters grip is slipping now. Raining tonight and warm weather for next week..

Hi Jamie

Isn't that something else. Like you said the trails are still incredible. The lake has lots of ice too.. Winter has definatly hung on . I bet you still had fun crossing the big ditch near Tower road and your " can-am" creek...LOL.. We just took our sign off the lake Sunday and I had to Chip it out with the ice spud... Looks like winters grip is slipping now. Raining tonight and warm weather for next week..

Yes Ron Can-Am creek was a go around bit of a "crossing" there now. We had to postpone our annual may ATV trip due to snow, and if the snow melts the water will be too high to do our ride anyways. I can honestly say I don't ever remember riding this last in the season on trails that other than a few creek crossings are like february conditions.

Archived