One more kick at the can

Pota

I figure ill give this one more try. Is it worth while riding from Whitney to pembroke on the b trail. I have one day off of work this week and am considering this route for Tuesday . I still see it showing green on ofsc map. Anyone ride this trail recently? Any input would be appreciated.

I say give it a go and let us know how the trails are. I drove by the B trail in Pembroke on Friday and was surprised at how good it looked. The roughest section on that trip would likely be the road running as you near Round Lake Rd.

We've got enough base left to have tolerated the rain yesterday in Hearst, it's snowing like crazy tonight. Prolly 4 inches once it's done. Can't vouch for anywhere South of here, but I can't imagine the Plus temps over the last few days being very good for the trail conditions. We lost about 1/4 of our snowbanks this week and weekend.

(I am just learning how to upload photographs, so I may have mixed up the order of the pictures.)

I sledded from Whitney to Madawaska and back on Friday, after calling ahead Friday morning and being told conditions were green. I was told I could unload at the Mad Musher on Highway 60 in Whitney, but the start of the trail looked like the picture showing a hundred yards of mud. I was very disappointed, having driven two hours to get to the site.

I walked a couple of hundred yards up the trail and realized there was some improvement, so I unloaded on Nipissing Road about two hundred yards north of Highway 60.

I sledded to Madawaska, which was about 18 miles. I decided to turn around because as I entered Madawaska I encountered terrible conditions as shown in the picture with the small bridge:

In the 18 miles between Whitney and Madawaska, the best conditions were like the picture showing predominantly snow covered trail, and a person could move along at a good speed:

The worst section between the two terrible end points was shown as yellow on the online map. There was a half mile or so that looked like the picture with the hill:

In my opinion the part of B that I traveled on Friday should have been depicted as yellow rather than green. I would expect that the conditions would be much worse after the warm weather on Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday.

I cannot comment on conditions east of Madawaska as I did not get that far.

In the end, I really enjoyed the two hour leisurely forty miles. The landscape was really nice along the Madawaska River.

I will be going back, but not this year.

post-22473-0-85264400-1364788019_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-48539400-1364788032_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-81079300-1364788043_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-61914200-1364788054_thumb.jpg

post-22473-0-14124400-1364788066_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the update guys. Blake those pics tell it all, time to bring out the motorcycle .

blake

those are terrible pics...for a sledder...bill tried north bay & said it was non-rideable too...drove 5 hrs total & never unloaded sled...thx for info & pics

I wouldnt have unloaded if i saw trails like that lol

Thanks for the update guys. Blake those pics tell it all, time to bring out the motorcycle .

I agree. I've been riding an old Goldwing the past few years, and it will be nice to get it out in the next few days. Thinking about maybe upgrading to somewhere around the 1999-2000 model year.

I wouldnt have unloaded if i saw trails like that lol

Trust me, that was my first reaction when I got there. I don't regret unloading, though. I don't think I hurt my old sled too much, and I got to see a very pretty trail that I will look forward to trying again in ten months or so.

--

now that little video is worth driving thru a little mud...that is a great ride

North Bay wasn't bad at all. You have to either trailer towards Redbridge and ride the trails there or get on top of the hill travelling north on hwy 11. I happen to live on the hill so I'm still able to ride from my house. On friday we did 100 miles going up to martin river and across towards west nippissing. Except for 2 creeks opening up it was a nice ride. Both creeks were about 8 feet wide so they were a quick skip over. Had a good day. The way the weather is this week we are thinking of going over to Redbridge for a saturday this weekend. This winter just doesn't want to quit.

Once you manage to get through the town of Madawaska, the trails get really good again. You should of carried on forward and enjoyed it some more.

The key to late season riding is unloading a couple kms from town (a gps really comes in handy) and avoid riding trails that run alongside of roads. The B trail is excellent for this.

Trust me, that was my first reaction when I got there. I don't regret unloading, though. I don't think I hurt my old sled too much, and I got to see a very pretty trail that I will look forward to trying again in ten months or so.

ya i know its hard to throw in the towel on the season,

The key to late season riding is unloading a couple kms from town...

That sounds like good advice. In the past three weeks I have parked on backroads and unloaded at three different "safe-looking" places, but I never really know if this is likely to get me into hot water with the authorities. Is this a fairly common practice?

Once you manage to get through the town of Madawaska, the trails get really good again. You should of carried on forward and enjoyed it some more.

I wish I had known that!

I wasn't too keen on the look of the bridge over the river, and of course I had no idea what was ahead. I did think about returning to Whitney and reloading my machine and driving a little further east. I guess I should have asked some of the other sledders. I saw about fifteen different machines during the two hours I was out.

I don't think authorities mind so much unless there is a resident's complaint. However, there are many locals who park in the middle of nowhere and head off to their camp/cottage/property all the time. I guess the only thing you really have to worry about is the possibility of theft of your vehicle and/or items within.

When I'm on a trail riding, I take a mental note of spots where other trucks unload their sleds/atvs for future reference.

Archived