If At First, You Don't Succeed, Try, Try, Again (Barry's Bay Jan 18 - 20, 2013)

sledjunk

Well, the title pretty much sums up how our trip to Barry's Bay (Spectacle Lake Lodge) on January 18 - 20 started.

The original plan was that we would load the trailer Friday night and I would head up to Spectacle Lake Lodge solo. Moosifer was working Saturday and was going to drive up after work. As well, Black Adventure (A.K.A. White Dragon :lol: ) and his friend were driving up Sunday morning.

I left home about 7:30 PM, about a half hour after originally intended. I was not out of Pefferlaw when all of the dash and clearance lights went out. I stopped and checked fuses, to no avail, so I turned around and went back home.

A little bit of troubleshooting pointed to a faulty light switch. I disassembled it, patched it with some JB Weld putty, reassembled it and crossed my fingers. It worked!!!

Ready to head out again, I pulled out of the driveway at about 9:30. It was going to be a late arrival!

About 50 Km from home, the battery light came on and I could hear the belt squealing. I pulled over and turned around to try to limp home. I was barely turned around when I heard the flapping sound of a broken belt! I pulled over and did a quick check under the hood. Sure enough, the belt was wrapped around the water pump and the alternator was seized solid!

10:22 PM. Time to call CAA. That is why I have the RV Plus package, I guess.

The original ETA of a truck would be 11:30 PM. I called Moosifer to have him collect the spare alternator from the garage and to be prepared to meet me and the tow truck at the service shop.

After a lot of calls back and forth with both CAA and the towing company, the trucks, one for the truck and another for the trailer arrived at about 1 AM.

Finally got home and to bed about 3 AM.

The next morning, I drove to the shop to explain what had happened and to arrange the service. The truck finally got in about noon and the belt and alternator were changed. Some testing was done and I was ready to go, or so I thought. I turned out that when the alternator seized, it also separated the lower pulley from the hub (the rubber damper let go). By now, the shop was closing and could not even get the part. Moosifer found one at a supplier in Newmarket and would pick it up after work.

As I was ready to crawl under the truck the disassemble it, the rain started! The fellow who owns the shop took pity on me and said to just unhook and bring the truck inside, and he would hang around while I did the work. It was so much better to work inside in the dry!!

Eventually, the truck was back together and Moosifer and I went for dinner and were ready to head off. It was now 7:30 Saturday night. Twenty four hours late!!!

We drove through rain and snow and rain again to finally arrive about midnight! Highway 60 was snow covered but had good traction.

Sunday morning, we woke up and went to the restaurant for breakfast and wait for WD and his buddy to arrive. As we were going up to the buffet, we met Teener and her husband just entering, so we invited them to join us. WD and his buddy arrived after a grueling drive a little later.

The temperature had dropped overnight and the rain had changed to snow, so there would be great lube for the sliders.

We decided to ride towards Pembroke, detouring to Barry's Bay for fuel on the way.

The rail line was excellent, with a hard base and some fresh powder.

IMG00358_thm.jpg

IMG00362_thm.jpg

After getting fuel, we returned along B102 and turned back on to B and off of the rail line. As we rode B, the trail was still in great shape, but had a little bit of ice under the snow. For the most part, this was not a problem, but you did need to be wary of it.

Along this section, it was noticeable how much recent brushing had been required recently. There were many clumps of cut brush just off the side of the trail. It is also prudent to mention that some of the limbs that were cut are very close to the edge of the trail. It is not adviseable to cut too close to the edge on the corners in case one of these is overhanging the edge around the curve.

IMG00380_thm.jpg

IMG00412_thm.jpg

There were a couple of we spots along the route but this was the most significant one that we came across. It was quite deep and the edges were steep.

IMG00168_thm.jpg

IMG00169_thm.jpg

IMG00170_thm.jpg

At one of the rest stops, we decided that we should turn back as we all had a long drive at the end of the ride.

All in all, it was a great ride with good friends. After loading up, WD and his buddy decided to forgo dinner and head off. About this point, Teener and her husband had returned from their 'adventure' and joined us for a great dinner.

We headed off for home and found the roads less than stellar. From Huntsville south to below Gravenhurst, Hwy 11 was extremely icy. It was probably the worst I have ever seen a four lane highway in Ontario!

I have a card in my visor in my sled tow rig that simply says " Endeavour to persevere."

More than once on a sledding adventure, I have pulled the visor down and re-read it, just to remind myself that better trails are ahead. Be it road, weather, mechanical challenges or any combination of , sledding sure can test your dedication to the sport.

Kudos!

PS. We haven't run into you since the time your old sled broke down east of Cochrane. :D

too bad about the trouble,cause it was a great ride,trailering sucks...but gotta do it.great place to sled from too

I'm glad the trails were in good shape and you were able enjoy some great riding. OF7 and I stayed at spectacle lake lodge Jan 21-23, and the accommodation, food, service, and trails were all amazing. Thanks for the post SJ. Sorry to hear about your truck.

I'm glad the trails were in good shape and you were able enjoy some great riding. OF7 and I stayed at spectacle lake lodge Jan 21-23, and the accommodation, food, service, and trails were all amazing. Thanks for the post SJ. Sorry to hear about your truck.

Trails, accommodations, food and company was simply stelar.

The Kia Sorrento tow vehicle was less than stellar. One wheel drive can be very scary.

Thanks everyone! Gotta keep going.

I LOVE this sport!!!

Archived