Trails Open Now

Dan-Senior

As of Tuesday January 15th - 1:00 PM, all of the following roads / trails are open for snowmobiling in the Algoma District. This area is North-East of Searchmont.

(These are not OFSC trails)

- Whitman Dam Road (60 Kilometres)

- Laughing Lake Road

- Domtar Road

- Saddle Lake Road

- Ranger North Road

- Aubrey Falls

Hope this helps.

Dan

As of Tuesday January 15th - 1:00 PM, all of the following roads / trails are open for snowmobiling in the Algoma District. This area is North-East of Searchmont.

(These are not OFSC trails)

- Whitman Dam Road (60 Kilometres)

- Laughing Lake Road

- Domtar Road

- Saddle Lake Road

- Ranger North Road

- Aubrey Falls

Hope this helps.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Are they plowing and sanding Whitman Dam Road this season for the logging trucks?

I would like to start from Carl's Driftwood and without the bypass trail being groomed, the road has been too badly sanded and plowed the last several years. If they are not logging up there, I will start in Searchmont for sure.

Please let me know about the road.

THanks

Scott

Thanks for the routes. Great news about the roads being open!

Happened to find an image posted by Dan-Senior

http://ontariocondit...itman-dam-road/

Gulp. Sledjunk, did you bring the raft? This is a spring photo (March, 2011) but gives some idea of why local knowledge is so important.

The road itself is easily viewed on Google Maps, with its proximity to Searchmont.

Thanks again for the updates.

Hi Scott,

They are not plowing the Whitman Dam road as of yet (this winter). I will find more information tonight if there are any logging plans for late January or February. As a back-up plan, you can trailer the Ranger Lake road to the Laughing Lake junction and unload from there. Laughing Lake connects with the Domtar. Higher elevations and more snow in that area as well. We were up there a few weeks ago and it was DEEP snow.

Many camp owners are now sledding directly from the bottom of the Whitman Dam road which will soon make for a bumpy roller-coaster ride. When it gets to that point (which it will), switch to Laughing Lake Road.

Hope this helps.

Dan

scott, you going up this weekend? i have monday and tuesday off. was just telling the wife tonight.... if we dont make a decision tomorrow, i am giving tuesday back.

just looked at the weather.... gonna be cccccccccccold sunday-tuesday LOL! if it aint one thing, it's another. Ski

Ski,

We decided to not go this weekend. Hoping to save the days off for later when the conditions will be better. I went up a couple years ago after a warm spell and the hard trails caused over heating and dangerous riding conditions for our sleds without studs. I have scatchers, but I don't want to risk anyone getting hurt.

I imagine it to be at best like the last time we met in Dub last year. Until we rode about halfway to Hornepayne and found lots of new snow, the trails were slick and we could not use much throtle.

Hearing that the Whitman Dam Road wil not be plowed is good and if the Trail Blazers groom the loop towards Aubrey Falls, I will be starting from the Driftwood in Searchmont a few times. I hope to cut straight through to Chapleau. (Thanks for the info Dan-Senior. Let me know if logging is coming back to Whitman Dam or not. Great to hear from you as always.)

We need some snow up there now, and all the way north & east. I am really hoping to see the ice bridges open too. I have not been to Manitoulin Island in 3 years.

Hoping for next weekend to bring better conditions everywhere.

Scott

Scott / Ski,

More snow yesterday and last evening in the Sault. Not sure how far inland it went, however, by watching the Weather Network TV channel this morning, it looks like many parts of N/E Ontario received fresh snow yesterday. Temperatures dropped considerbly overnight. -22c (-7F) this morning. I'm sure its quite a bit cooler further north and east of us. Snow is in the forecast again this afternoon and overnight. Looks like much of Michigan and Ontario will get the Friday storm. All looking promising for riding opportunities for many. Was reading on the Michihgan Forums that the UP will be a hot item this upcoming weekend, due to lake effect snow.

Will keep you posted of trail conditions here in Algoma. There's a group tentatively riding Friday. We are riding on Saturday to Aubrey via Laughing Lake / Domtar.

DOMTAR-TO-AUBREY FALLS is graded to gravel due to logging on the Aubinadong section. One gentleman was telling us that he went through a set of runners in that section. Efforts are being made to contact snowplow contractor to work with snowmobilers on this stretch to compromise. We will explore an alternative route on Saturday via powerline north of Mashagama, coming out on the Charette / Seabrook road.

D106 - Discussions last night at meeting and strong interest to get D106 open. Another gentleman was through and said good snow and good riding. Club has an Aubrey Falls ride scheduled for the 26th and looking for a suitable route through, without beating up sleds.

No mention at last night's meeting of any logging on the Whitman so far.

You may wish to Visit hardcoresledder site and check with 'snokommander' for the Chapleau - South report.

Hope this helps.

Dan

it looks like many parts of N/E Ontario received fresh snow yesterday. Temperatures dropped considerbly overnight. -22c (-7F) this morning.

Yes, we got about an inch and it all blew around with high winds, so drifting snow some places, and none in others. Went to the camper to fetch all the camping stoves and heaters at 11:00, we had no power for 4 hrs. At -31. Now -33 in Hearst, -42 with the windchill. Calling for -30's overnights, with highs of -20 for the next week. Zero snow forecast.

I suspect the added snow will help if it can get packed onto the ice, but we didn't get much.

Archived