Has anyone tried Ski Wheelz

Weapon

I noticed at the snowmobile show there was a guy selling Ski Wheelz.

They mount on your skis.

They say all you do is flip them down when you are in parking lots and such.

I ride in Dist. 5 and there is alot of road side riding.

Has anyone tried them, what did you think?

They look to me like they would bend.

I saw them there too, I remember looking at the new Venture they were mounted on and noticed one of the skis was bent because of them. Granted they aren't designed to have the sled sit on the wheels all day but you have to wonder what would happen to the ski during an impact, say by hitting the edge of asphalt road at a road crossing.

I've considered trying them, but I'm more concerned about sliders and bearings and such rather than carbides. It's an interesting idea but I'd rather go through a set of carbides than break a ski or worse. Now if they could do something like that on the rear, that would be interesting. Something that propels the sled using the track but keeps the track of the road. But you still need snow to cool the sliders.

I tried some out on a friends last march and I was impressed! Not only do they save your carbides but they would save on hoping off all the time to help someone that has trouble steering during road running. As soon as you hit trail they flip back up. I found the steering to be pretty good but I would'nt recommend going much faster than 30km/h while using them. I've done my research and I'm wanting to buy some , and my wife is begging for a pair . They are a bit exspensive and I've been trying to find some a bit cheaper . I have tried Ski wheelz but not these kind http://www.retrax.ca I'd imagine they are similar .

Hope this helps

Yukon

I HAVE A SET I PUT ON MY VECTOR LAST FALL. THEY WORK PRETTY WELL AND IF U R ON A SMOOTH SURFACE U CAN BLAST ALONG AT 30-40 KPH. TWO THINGS I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THEM ARE THAT IF U HAVE YOUR SHIELD CORD HOOKED UP, IT IS TOUGH TO GET AROUND THE FRONT OF THE SLED TO PUT THE WHEELS DOWN (NOT THE WHEELZ FAULT) THE CLAIM THAT THEY RETRACT TO THE UP POSITION WHEN U GET INTO SNOW IS NOT CORRECT. i HAVE YET TO EXPERIENCE THEM WORKING AS ADVERTISED IN THAT REGARD. ALL SAID MY CONCRETE DRIVEWAY IS VERY GLAD I PURCHASED THEM. I HAVE LEFT THE SLED SITTING WITH THE WHEELS DOWN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS BY MISTAKE AND WHEN I PUT THEM UP, THE RUBBER ON THE WHEELZ WERE FLATSIDED BUT THEY ROUNDED OUT AGAIN. NO SIGN YET OF THE SKI'S BENDING. THE ONLY THING BETTER WOULD BE IF U COULD GET A COMPACT ELECTRIC DRIVE THAT WASN'T UGLY TO PUT THEM UP & DOWN FROM THE SEAT POSITION. I'D GIVE THEM A 6.8 OUT OF 10

Welcome PistonLake Cruiser !!

I've been on and off interested in these wheels since seeing them at the SnowShow a couple of years ago. And I regularly think of them everytime I pull into an 'all pavement' gas station with handle bars fully turned and the sled continuing straight. Similarly going through some towns - especially late in the season.

I HAVE A SET I PUT ON MY VECTOR LAST FALL. THEY WORK PRETTY WELL AND IF U R ON A SMOOTH SURFACE U CAN BLAST ALONG AT 30-40 KPH. TWO THINGS I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THEM ARE THAT IF U HAVE YOUR SHIELD CORD HOOKED UP, IT IS TOUGH TO GET AROUND THE FRONT OF THE SLED TO PUT THE WHEELS DOWN (NOT THE WHEELZ FAULT) THE CLAIM THAT THEY RETRACT TO THE UP POSITION WHEN U GET INTO SNOW IS NOT CORRECT. i HAVE YET TO EXPERIENCE THEM WORKING AS ADVERTISED IN THAT REGARD. ALL SAID MY CONCRETE DRIVEWAY IS VERY GLAD I PURCHASED THEM. I HAVE LEFT THE SLED SITTING WITH THE WHEELS DOWN FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS BY MISTAKE AND WHEN I PUT THEM UP, THE RUBBER ON THE WHEELZ WERE FLATSIDED BUT THEY ROUNDED OUT AGAIN. NO SIGN YET OF THE SKI'S BENDING. THE ONLY THING BETTER WOULD BE IF U COULD GET A COMPACT ELECTRIC DRIVE THAT WASN'T UGLY TO PUT THEM UP & DOWN FROM THE SEAT POSITION. I'D GIVE THEM A 6.8 OUT OF 10

I believe the Retraxx has an automatic engaging set like you mentioned. I do remember seeing them on a website somewhere. As far as ski bending, I'm sure the one I saw was due to the daily stress/fatique of sitting days on end for show after show. Not really something you would notice under normal usage.

I put a set on my sled this fall and i think they are great, no more pulling and tugging and hopeing that the carbides grab something so you can turn and go exactly where you want ..got into some real trouble early this season trying to cross a road that was on a hill and I ended up drifting down the hill and into heavy traffic...Now that i have them would never ride without them....mine are the Ski Wheelz $325..Get a set you'll love em Dave

WOW! $325 :shock:

I don't know, but it would seem to me that if they brought the price down to a realistic price, they could sell a lot more and profit by volume instead of by margin. IMO!

I bought a set at the snowmobile show this year. Overall they work well. Definitely easier to steer than without. However a couple things worth noting....

-On install, the bolts they used that hold the wheel on were hitting the skis-- put new shorter bolts in to fix (probably could have returned for a replacement and were likely specific to my situation--wasn't a big deal).

-Depending on how your sled locks down to your trailer, you must plan ahead. My lockdown bar on the trailer goes over the skis-- didn't fit with the new wheelz in place--spent about an hour readjusting the trailer install so it would fit--again not a big deal.

Overall very happy with them--they'll easily pay for themselves by saving on replacement carbides

I saw product at the Toronto Boat Show this week, its electric. The wheels move up and down with a hydraulic cylinder, operated electrically from your handle bar, while you're seated on the sled. I don't recall the name, if you're at the boat show this weekend you can check it out.

Archived