Hailburton forest is now officially open.

Viperules700

The forest is now officially open. 150km of main trail is limited they say. I wish they had webcams. Anyone heading up to break in thief ride?

I may take a rip around the forest ."Got the itch"

Daily Trail Passes: Person - $44.00 per day, passenger: $10.00.

Seasonal Trail Passes: Person - $400.00; $450 after Jan. 1st;

Family: $400.00/450.00 resp. for the first machine per family, $200.00 for second and $100.00 for youth with valid license.

Please Note: Children under 18 are to be accompanied by parent/guardian.

http://www.haliburtonforest.com/reservations.html

They started at new years last year and had great conditions all the way to the first week of march last year. I went in twice last year. Was lots of snow about 3 feet base each time I was there.

I would wait until they say the conditions are good though, which will take another week or so, depending on the traffic they receive.

Fred Quimby has often volunteered to offer an unbiased opinion on snow levels and trails at the forest. The forest is sometimes a 'little optimistic" in their ratings.

Hopefully FQ will jump in here with some info.

Is the Haliburton forest not listed on the OFSC map base? Because I looked for it, but couldn't find anything as limited around Haliburton?

Is the Haliburton forest not listed on the OFSC map base? Because I looked for it, but couldn't find anything as limited around Haliburton?

No, it's privately owned and operated.

never been itchy enough to drive 2 hrs and pay an extra 44, can wait another week or so besides don't need to kill my carbides just yet

never been itchy enough to drive 2 hrs and pay an extra 44, can wait another week or so besides don't need to kill my carbides just yet

I wish it was only 2 hours!

:icon_goodpost: me too!

365 km from Kitchener. So 4 hrs for me. It is great in there once they have everything open. I can play in thier all day. Love all of the little lakes and meadows and endless powder. Can go anywhere you want. Private land, no need to worry about trespassing.

365 km from Kitchener. So 4 hrs for me. It is great in there once they have everything open. I can play in thier all day. Love all of the little lakes and meadows and endless powder. Can go anywhere you want. Private land, no need to worry about trespassing.

Take some pictures AND POST THEM! :nana:

Take some pictures AND POST THEM! :nana:

I have pics from last year. I will get them up.

Don't be too itchy. This area only had 2-3" of snow. HF is slightly higher in elevation and may have another inch...tops. Personally I would not be driving two or three hours, then paying $44.oo to ride only part of their system. They will need another dumping of snow to make it worthwhile. The night temps have been very cold and are really dropping off which is great as there isn't a lot of snow to insulate the ground from the cold. There is a good thick layer of frozen rain/slush under the snow so a good base! We need another solid days worth of snow. The moral folks is don't waste your money just yet. There is more snow coming next week and depending...it could make a huge difference then what is here right now.

Read their website carefully..although they opened their trails today..they aren't grooming until next week.

When HF does have their whole system open it is worth the trip. Especially if the local OFSC trails are not available or limited/available.

Just make sure you DO have your insurance slip with you as they want to see them. They will turn people away without proof of insurance.

Also..although private property and no OFSC pass is required..the OPP are often in there so be warned. The HCSA trail 10 passes through the property.

If you have never been to Haliburton forest....

276.jpg

Most trails are double wide plus, as they are old logging roads and in some cases are still "active" logging roads.

275.jpg

Trails are usually kept well groomed and the daily limit is 100 sleds max.

279.jpg

There are also many single track one way trails as well.

288.jpg

Warm up shacks and well stocked wood sheds are spaced through the trails. Each with a woodstove, table, benches, some with lamps

287.jpg

Trail signage is good with specific names not numbers

283.jpg

There are a couple amazing vistas to climb where you can see forever on a clear day.

289.jpg

Food is available on site at reasonable prices and is decent pub fare. Fuel is also available on site but closes at 5..although you can sled until 11 PM

great info fred...thx

I may take a rip around the forest ."Got the itch"

Daily Trail Passes: Person - $44.00 per day, passenger: $10.00.

Seasonal Trail Passes: Person - $400.00; $450 after Jan. 1st;

Family: $400.00/450.00 resp. for the first machine per family, $200.00 for second and $100.00 for youth with valid license.

Please Note: Children under 18 are to be accompanied by parent/guardian.

http://www.haliburto...servations.html

I can't believe any one would pay $450 to ride 150 KM's of trail only. Every body is complaining about the over priced OFSC permit to ride over 30,000 KM's

They do have 300 km of trails all totalled. Not just 150. Are open from around now..well into late March or often early April. They actually do sell many annual passes. I have been in there all day some days and never even seen another sled,never mind been on the same trail twice. Trails are usually tabletop too. Many people value the safer quieter trails. There is a 100 sled maximum sled per day limit plus you can ATV in there in the Winter also.

I go into the forest often on a Sunday. By then hailburton system is beat and forest trails are all table top smooth. They have four groomers that head out every single night. I believe they now have 400km of trails. You can ride in there all day and not hit every trail. Everyone rides up the north trail pretty much and spreads out from there. They give a youth discount 100 bucks for younger riders under 18 and a 150 discount on a second sled in the same family. There are no roads to cross, so they can hold the base longer during mild weather. There trails never see 2000 sleds a day, only poker run day there on the third Saturday if feb, see's around 800 riders.

It's also hard to get really lost in there as the trails are basically loops built on loops, with connectors in between. They all join somewhere and you can follow them back to basecamp. Not only do they run the New Holland groomers (4) of them 24-7 they also have those old Alpines that they pull a single slim drag with to do the narrow single track trails with too. It's a good operation, but it's a business. They will often report trails better than what they truly are. they don't use an OFSC rating system. Whomever is doing their web updates is who updates their trail comments..remember that.

Some noteworthy things about HF...their system is independent of lakes. So, they don't need lake or pond freeze up to open their system as it's based on old logging roads.The only exception I believe is part of the Wildcat trail which runs along the edge of a swamp. There are lakes that open up for running later in the Winter and there are some excellent ice fishing opportunities in there.

There are at least two spectacular lookouts that are well worth seeing.

The Gorge trail is amazing as one side is HF property and the other side of the gorge is Algonquin Park.

Just be wary .. if OFSC trails in the area are sketchy...the HF won't be amazing. If you can't ask me here..check the interactive trail guide and look at HCSA trail 11,10 or Tall Pines 62..all are in proximity to HF. Same elevation and same snowfall.

It's also hard to get really lost in there as the trails are basically loops built on loops, with connectors in between. They all join somewhere and you can follow them back to basecamp. Not only do they run the New Holland groomers (4)

of them 24-7 they also have those old Alpines

that they pull a single slim drag with to do the

narrow single track trails with too. It's a good

operation, but it's a business. They will often

report trails better than what they truly are. they

don't use an OFSC rating system. Whomever is

doing their web updates is who updates their

trail comments..remember that.

Some noteworthy things about HF...their system is independent of lakes. So, they don't need lake or pond freeze up to open their system as it's

based on old logging roads.The only exception I

believe is part of the Wildcat trail which runs

along the edge of a swamp. There are lakes that

open up for running later in the Winter and there

are some excellent ice fishing opportunities in

there.

There are at least two spectacular lookouts that are well worth seeing.

The Gorge trail is amazing as one side is HF property and the other side of the gorge is Algonquin Park.

Just be wary .. if OFSC trails in the area are sketchy...the HF won't be amazing. If you can't ask me here..check the interactive trail guide and look at HCSA trail 11,10 or Tall Pines 62..all are in proximity to HF. Same elevation and same snowfall.

Great points here. I really enjoy riding in there, when conditions are good. Been on a few single track trails too, they are narrow and suck if you meet an on coming sled. Most people don't use them I find. I like cutting across Kennis lake and entering the far corner of the property and then loop my way back to base camp. All main trails lead to base camp pretty much.

HF is not trustworthy on there self declared trail conditions.

Do not make the trip unless you know that conditios are suitable.

The will mislead you and then trail passes are non refundable.

This is aside from wasting the trip.

HF is not trustworthy on there self declared trail conditions.

Do not make the trip unless you know that conditios are suitable.

The will mislead you and then trail passes are non refundable.

This is aside from wasting the trip.

Are you still cranky from..(what) two years ago..but yes...never trust what they report. I offer an unbiased report of trail conditions or as mentioned look at the local trails on the interactive map.

Archived