Interactive Trail Map

schmied

Trying to figure out a route using the trip planner on the "handy" Interactive Trail Map the OFSC has on their site.

Are they still working on this piece of junk or is this the finished product?

According to the map, the route I pieced together from Cambridge to Barrys Bay is over 1900 km !! :crazy:

At one point when I clicked the 'add to route button' a 9.2km section added 80+ kms to my total.

Took a couple caps to illustrate.

Before I click 'add to route' 1273.3 km

before.JPG

After I click 'add' 1305.2 km. Where did the extra 22.8 km come from?

after.JPG

According to the planner, my total trip from Cambridge to Barrys Bay is just over 1900 km !

totaltrip.JPG

Wow! I hadn't really tried it much. I suggest you send an email to OFSC (I think Pim is in charge of this aspect).

That's about right when you go through India.

Yup, email and report it, could just be a simple as a bad GPS track someone loaded to the map...

Well like everything it gets better with time, we are only heading in to the 3rd season for the new map, the first year sucked, last year was a much better inprovement, but still in need of some work....

Last year, if I tried to slelect a route like this it would pick up E108 from Madoc to Campbellford 40km+ of trail..Now I can pick sections between towns and interconnecting trails. So it is getting better slowly

iam_zpsdcedd4c6.jpg

I agree, it is much better this year. Now most of the distance on trails is between intersections so an actual route can be planned. I am having trouble with trying to make a route, I add a bunch of trails, then all of a sudden, it shows the total distance as 0 kms or it doesn't change after adding a trail. Thought it might have been the browser I was using, but I tried a couple and had the same issues.

What it's really missing now is a nice way to print our your route. All it will print is the area of the map you're looking, no e108 for 14km than left to e212 for 15km an so on, when it already shows that on the route tab, now just make that printable.

When we planed the Rap Tour it came down to writing down all the different distances and adding them up with a calculator :banghead: It didn't work at all to use it for planing a good ride.

you will need a different trail pass for India

No... India is part of the regional system being considered.

I agree, it is much better this year. Now most of the distance on trails is between intersections so an actual route can be planned. I am having trouble with trying to make a route, I add a bunch of trails, then all of a sudden, it shows the total distance as 0 kms or it doesn't change after adding a trail. Thought it might have been the browser I was using, but I tried a couple and had the same issues.

No matter what software you write someone can always manage to find something that doesn't work. In coding a misplaced character can make a huge difference. My Garmin GPS usually shows me very accurate distances. The stretch of 400 from Barrie to getting off in Port Severn always shows 0 KM to the exit. Even loaded new maps and it is still the same. Every other location I have searched works. When something is customized for a specific purpose there are bound to be bugs that everntually get worked out. Even the best software testers miss things.

No matter what software you write someone can always manage to find something that doesn't work.

It is certainly better than having to check each club /r egion web site for trail open or closed info. To be honest, we had our outhouse replaced by running water and a flush toilet in our mine site house north of Sudbury when I was 7 years old. Every technological advance since then has just been icing on the cake.

It is certainly better than having to check each club /r egion web site for trail open or closed info. To be honest, we had our outhouse replaced by running water and a flush toilet in our mine site house north of Sudbury when I was 7 years old. Every technological advance since then has just been icing on the cake.

Sure is... I will take it over the old system any time. Even with an occasional glitch....the old B101 to B101D open, C to D limited was a pain. If you knew the trails you wanted information on maybe but it was look up the information then dig out the paper map and start looking. Much easier to be able to see at a glance the conditions then if you come to a stretch that shows limited find an alternate route at a glance.

I wonder what the "Best Thing" was before they invented sliced bread. (?)

Toilet paper?

But if you google it, sex, beer and fire seem to be the top suggestions.

Unsliced bread!

Archived