Jump to content
snowgirl

Searchmont-Wawa

Recommended Posts

Looking for trail report from Searchmont to Wawa. Did anyone ride these trails this week?

 

I need one more weekend of riding before the end...  Either that, or do New Liskeard to Timmins, which I've done a few times in the last couple years.  Or head to Searchmont and try something new!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you opt for wawa, probably better to stage out of searchmont, in my opinion (driftwood valley chalets (carl). the soo's snow access and road crossings, fuel availablity (none in searchmont), and the distance from fuel to halfway will be your issues.

 

watch the warm up that is coming for the weekend too, will make road traveled trails, and town access challenging. searchmont to halfway is about 90 MILES, then another 75 or so to wawa. it is a doable ride but, to say it is "easy" might be misleading, depending on skill level, physical ability, etc... get it while you can, it is thawing.

 

wawa proper, has quite a bit of road, street riding to get into town, the warm ups will hurt those trails the quickest. once "out in the bush" away from town, the trails will be decent for several weeks. Ski

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope these help..

Screenshot_20190320-140237_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190320-140200_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190320-140206_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190320-140324_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190320-140331_Samsung Internet.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skidooboy said:

if you opt for wawa, probably better to stage out of searchmont, in my opinion (driftwood valley chalets (carl). the soo's snow access and road crossings, fuel availablity (none in searchmont), and the distance from fuel to halfway will be your issues.

 

watch the warm up that is coming for the weekend too, will make road traveled trails, and town access challenging. searchmont to halfway is about 90 MILES, then another 75 or so to wawa. it is a doable ride but, to say it is "easy" might be misleading, depending on skill level, physical ability, etc... get it while you can, it is thawing.

 

wawa proper, has quite a bit of road, street riding to get into town, the warm ups will hurt those trails the quickest. once "out in the bush" away from town, the trails will be decent for several weeks. Ski

 

I've never been to Wawa, but looking at the map, it doesn't seem like there would be a lot of road running to reach Wawa Motor Inn.  Would that be a fair assumption?

 

I'm not worried about fuel, we can do Searchmont to Halfway, no issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually from where you come off the lake, to the trail is some road rash if its bare pavement, to the Wawa motor inn..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And if coming along the D trail from the south there is some (4-500 meters) of road running in the small village south of town. Otherwise yes trail leads straight to the motor inn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wawa has quite a bit of road, street, running from south end of town (halfway haven side), into town, for fuel, food, hotel.

 

then to go north toward hawk junction, dubreuilville, you have to make it to wawa lake, through town streets. the map is quite deceptive.

 

when it thaws, it sucks, lots of sanding, plowing to keep streets safe for walkers and automobile traffic. wawa is quite sled friendly but, they also have to take care of the residents safety as well. early season and late season you spend scratching around on the streets.

 

i know that is not what you want to hear but, it is the raw truth.  i am not saying it isnt worth the trip, just letting you know you will ride some bare asphalt, and sanded plowed dirt roads/streets to get in and out of ALL TOWNS, this time of year. enjoy your trip, post a report and pics. Ski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would bypass Wawa and take trail 5 to Dubreuilville instead it’s 105 miles from halfway to Dubreuilville 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, skidooboy said:

wawa has quite a bit of road, street, running from south end of town (halfway haven side), into town, for fuel, food, hotel.

 

then to go north toward hawk junction, dubreuilville, you have to make it to wawa lake, through town streets. the map is quite deceptive.

 

when it thaws, it sucks, lots of sanding, plowing to keep streets safe for walkers and automobile traffic. wawa is quite sled friendly but, they also have to take care of the residents safety as well. early season and late season you spend scratching around on the streets.

 

i know that is not what you want to hear but, it is the raw truth.  i am not saying it isnt worth the trip, just letting you know you will ride some bare asphalt, and sanded plowed dirt roads/streets to get in and out of ALL TOWNS, this time of year. enjoy your trip, post a report and pics. Ski

Yes I know that this time of year is not the best for riding in town.  It's all part of the game, but I figure it's better than staying home.  Hubby has been working all winter and finally taking a weekend off!  So it's go time.

We are only going to Wawa and back to Searchmont the next day; so we won't go further than Wawa Inn.  Thanks for all the info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1049 said:

I would bypass Wawa and take trail 5 to Dubreuilville instead it’s 105 miles from halfway to Dubreuilville 

It was my original thought, I love going to Dubreuilville.  Going up would be fine but the ride back means getting to our truck even later, and then we have a 5 hour drive home Sunday night.  But the idea is still jumping around in my head...lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I staged in WaWa back in January, I wouldn't worry at all about staying there right now, yes there is some road running from the Motor Inn to the lake but it's not a lot.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Luv2sled2015 said:

I staged in WaWa back in January, I wouldn't worry at all about staying there right now, yes there is some road running from the Motor Inn to the lake but it's not a lot.    

Having been there twice in March and once in April, remembered rouskis coming in handy from lake through town to Wawa Motor Inn. Road (trail) to the Esso mud. Trail at southern village had been hacked by log loaders. You can always turn around at the Mystic Isle Motel around Michipicoten if approaching from that direction.BTW trail goes right through the parking lot of that motel if seeking accomodation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Luv2sled2015 said:

I staged in WaWa back in January, I wouldn't worry at all about staying there right now, yes there is some road running from the Motor Inn to the lake but it's not a lot.    

January is one thing but, now after a rain, melt, and more melting this week??? how far would you ride on bare asphalt, wet, dirt, mud to get to the lake or trail? people have to give real reports, good and bad, and prepare people for what they will encounter, and let them decide if it is worth it or not. 

 

and for the record, it is well over a mile (MILE, NOT KM) from the motor inn to the lake, on city streets. Ski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

January is one thing but, now after a rain, melt, and more melting this week??? how far would you ride on bare asphalt, wet, dirt, mud to get to the lake or trail? people have to give real reports, good and bad, and prepare people for what they will encounter, and let them decide if it is worth it or not. 

 

and for the record, it is well over a mile (MILE, NOT KM) from the motor inn to the lake, on city streets. Ski

I hear ya, in reality the OFSC trial map for WaWa isn't exactly accurate, there is an access route to the lake that doesn't follow the what is shown on the OFSC trail map.  Still a bit of road running but easily doable.  I'm from Indiana so I'm use to running on bare roads :)  See everyone up there this weekend for the last ride of my season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, slomo said:

Having been there twice in March and once in April, remembered rouskis coming in handy from lake through town to Wawa Motor Inn. Road (trail) to the Esso mud. Trail at southern village had been hacked by log loaders. You can always turn around at the Mystic Isle Motel around Michipicoten if approaching from that direction.BTW trail goes right through the parking lot of that motel if seeking accomodation.

I've never heard of the Mystic Motel.  Have you stayed there before?  Reviews are good.  But it doesn't seem like they have a restaurant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mystic isle, on trail, south of town a few miles, would have to ride into town (food, fuel), or cab into town. Ski

Edited by skidooboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, skidooboy said:

mystic isle, on trail, south of town a few miles, would have to ride into town (food, fuel), or cab into town. Ski

Do you think that a restaurant in town might deliver a pizza or Chinese food out that way ski?

Too bad the restaurant at the Best Northern is closed for the winter - as is their motel and cabins. Loved that spot.

1442014627_bestnorthern.jpg.a8f1bd0e02e924a0dcbae7589742928f.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

some "might" deliver but, i am guessing there would be a charge for delivery. the best northern, and kinawabi pines resurants have GREAT FOOD, when they are open (seasonally). our favorite is the viking but, again... only open seasonally. north of 17 restaurant has decent food, and good pizza, and open year round. Ski 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, slomo said:

Do you think that a restaurant in town might deliver a pizza or Chinese food out that way ski?

Too bad the restaurant at the Best Northern is closed for the winter - as is their motel and cabins. Loved that spot.

1442014627_bestnorthern.jpg.a8f1bd0e02e924a0dcbae7589742928f.jpg

 

https://www.allhomemadecatering.com is a new pizza delivery place that has started up and I believe their kitchen is in the Mission (small village that the D trail goes through south of Wawa) so I am sure they would deliver out to the Mystic Isle.  Had their pizza once this winter at my parents place and it was pretty good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, matt17 said:

https://www.allhomemadecatering.com is a new pizza delivery place that has started up and I believe their kitchen is in the Mission (small village that the D trail goes through south of Wawa) so I am sure they would deliver out to the Mystic Isle.  Had their pizza once this winter at my parents place and it was pretty good.  

Thanks Matt! - good to know for future trips

pizza.jpg.a0d82838b905a64c7a193338b5e1dd14.jpg

 

If you think of it, next time take one for the team and give us a report on the Hawaiian....:cool:

pizza02.jpg.0a725eb8cab76f06e5ec50d5728194a3.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2019 at 6:55 AM, skidooboy said:

north of 17 restaurant has decent food, and good pizza, and open year round. Ski 

Apparently not open on Sunday nights. :sad:

 

 

 

Edited by Ox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for all your comments.  We had a fantastic 2-day trip.  Trails were perfect from Start to finish other than the bit of road running.  No regrets on going.  I was worried about the condition of Whitman Dam road for the ride back today, but the bank had all been pushed so there was a nice path for the sleds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3B438408-FC5A-4BAD-87B8-4A46A6C211F3.jpeg

C7786F0C-3FE2-4B27-A6C2-406EA6F3CC98.jpeg

449BAE99-8131-4D54-B138-3CD2307AA343.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ox said:

Apparently not open on Sunday nights. :sad:

 

 

 

you know better than that... if you are not fed by 8 up there, you may not get fed. north of 17 is open for breakfast and lunch only on sunday, 9 pm the rest of the days. 

 

snogirl, glad you had a good last fix! Ski

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the same trip from Searchmont to Dub on Friday.  All around the area on Saturday.  Back to Halfway for the night on Sunday and back to Searchmont and drive home Monday.  (see snowgirl's pics above)

 

Fantastic trails if you had ice scratchers early and late in the days with the few bad spots which come along with the blue sky and warmer temps we call spring riding.

 

Just as 1049 says, we took Trail 5 and avoided as much pavement and dirt/mud as is possible by going straight to Dub on the Magpie.  All the Wawa trails were well kept, but we avoided going into town.  Had a couple meals at the Big Bear in Hawk Junction too.  Might want to avid the yellow area on the D Trail between Wawa and Hawk where the work crews have plowed because it was getting close to melting off.

 

All trails were hard and very smooth with the occasional frozen ruts on the River which could be avoided completely.  All lakes were frozen hard and smooth except in areas beat up during the rain and warm, but usually could be totally avoided.  This was my best spring trip ever and the road all the way into the closed trading post had been re-worked by the groomer so that snow was cut from the bank and spread to create a sled path on actual thick snow.  Wow what a nice surprise to get back to the Driftwood.  No road rash or bad stuff thanks to the Trailblazers working the banks with the groomer.  That is rare!  Great last ride for the season. 

 

D4500ADB-A2A8-4984-BAED-07D4EA10D90B.jpeg

Edited by AC+YA
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×