Trails east of Embrun -anyone ride them recently?

paulslund

The trails east of Embrun are all (mostly) still showing as yellow on the ITG.  I want to go somewhere this weekend to ride for a few hours and my choices are drive east for 1 hour, or trek the 2 1/2 to 3 hours to Rolphton/ Mattawa to find more yellow.. 

Anyone ride them recently? Are they a decent "limited" or a "expect more dirt than snow" limited..?

Thanks!

Last forcast I saw was for another meltdown this weekend...

Glengarry club posted pics on FB this morning, showing the groomer out. 

I clicked on the club link, it goes nowhere. 

Awaiting a reply to my FB post. I'm willing to go check things out for an evening ride if I can get any info.  No idea of where to park, or stop for fuel and eats...

I rode in South Stormont on Sunday night.  Some trails were nice....almost green.  The fields were snow covered but bumpy.  And occasional sections of washboard.  It’s always worth it for me.  Out for about 2+ hours never saw another rider.   

4 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Awaiting a reply to my FB post. I'm willing to go check things out for an evening ride if I can get any info.  No idea of where to park, or stop for fuel and eats...

The ITG shows some parking areas in Cassleman..I might try that sometime this weekend..  rain seems to have changed and should hold off... If you want further East in the Glengarry club it shows a parking area in Alexandria...

6 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I too am interested in those trails. Not too far for me to trailer, but do not enjoy running frozen mud and gravel.

I really don't trust the ofsc guide, seems it can be out by several days. If the club bothers to update it at all.  I'm about one ride from deleting the website from my "bookmark" or "favourites" or whatever it's called these days...

Sadly, in my area, the one club that has a facebook presence uses that to communicate trail status.

There is virtually NO information available from club websites, or facebook from out that way that I can find. Just a bunch of people requesting information.

Technology, and the age of information. 

17 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I really don't trust the ofsc guide, seems it can be out by several days. If the club bothers to update it at all.  I'm about one ride from deleting the website from my "bookmark" or "favourites" or whatever it's called these days...

Sadly, in my area, the one club that has a facebook presence uses that to communicate trail status.

There is virtually NO information available from club websites, or facebook from out that way that I can find. Just a bunch of people requesting information.

Technology, and the age of information. 

If the club's don't update on/by  the cutoff day all the trails go gray.

58 minutes ago, soupkids said:

If the club's don't update on/by  the cutoff day all the trails go gray.

Interesting... are the cutoff days still Tuesday and Thursday?  I seem to recall the Rideau trails changing status on a weekend but I might be wrong on that..

1 hour ago, paulslund said:

Interesting... are the cutoff days still Tuesday and Thursday?  I seem to recall the Rideau trails changing status on a weekend but I might be wrong on that..

I think those are still the days.

Trail status can be updated as often as the clubs want to but a min of twice a week is required.

I have never been involved in the trail update but have seen how it works, it is very time consuming.

The last update is shown when you click on the trail. These trails were all updated today so you can assume they are open. I suspect you will find many areas that are rough, but if when are yellow and recently updated we can assume they are passable. I would ride with caution. I may trailer out there in the morning, if I do I will report my findings here. on my property which has less snow, there is about 8 inches of hard crusty snow that holds the sled without going through to the grass below, and my drive has a decent layer of ice on it covered by some crusty snow. I leave the drive this way to protect it from the carbides, the road which is gravel still has ice on the sides and is bare in the center. i am thinking it may be worth the drive.

Where are you driving from/to Zoso? 

I'm all of about 35 minutes from Limoges, where we parked at the Ultramar last spring. 

I'd be happy to trailer farther for more interesting trails. 

2 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I'm all of about 35 minutes from Limoges, where we parked at the Ultramar last spring. 

2 hours ago, manotickmike said:

I am a little more than an hours drive to there. Not much further to the trails to the north west of Renfrew, and it looks like some green up there. Will not be getting away until later in the afternoon if I can, but with Sat becoming warm and maybe raining again, I want to get out. maybe stage on Stoppa rd

Got word back from Glengarry, ALL their trails are groomed.

If I went N I'd have to go at least as far as Pembroke to stage. I really don't enjoy rail trails, I'd rather drive in a straight line in my truck...

Hopefully, I'll get work done with early enough to get a ride in. 

Yellow is to renfrew now though the Renfrew > Pett has some bare areas on the open fields etc. the bush trails are awesome and the 8" - Foot of snow up in Deep River > Mattawa turned some rough riding into some pretty good trails I would still steer away from the Main "A" trail pipeline and Hydrolines i expect would still be rough since last weekend there's not been that much snow to fill in those big ass holes.

Well, my car has a power steering line leak (part won't come in until next week)... so although my mechanic said it's "unlikely" to blow completely, he advised not to travel to far if I can avoid it.  So Pembroke is out of the question.. heading east and probably stage out of Vars or Embrun or something. I've never been there so I am excited to try new trails, even if it sounds like they would be even better the further east I would go..  but you take what you can get I suppose! 

Safe weekend everyone!

Unless something changes, (and it often does...) I'm thinking of dropping in Limoges early. Try to beat the rain and ++ temps. 

1 hour ago, manotickmike said:

Unless something changes, (and it often does...) I'm thinking of dropping in Limoges early. Try to beat the rain and ++ temps. 

Well, TWN says +3 by 8 and +6 by noon...  I'm definitely making it an early morning jaunt!  Going to launch from Vars and get out for a few hours...  Mike..what do you ride? I'll keep an eye for you on the trails! 

Archived