The Perils of Boondocking

revrnd

A funny story in this week's edition of the Bancroft Times:

5a62849335d2a_20180119TrappersTrail.thumb.jpg.e9e5aaffe268339ee6e5970d227fea8a.jpg

For those that may not be familiar w/ Ralph Bice, he lived in the Kearney area & trapped for many years between Kearney & Algonquin Prov' Park.

This reminded me when we were kids out w/ the father of friends of ours who was a trapper. There was a longer pond that part way down you had to get up on the shore & go around some rocks & then get back on the pond. If we happened to be thru there in the winter & sled tracks were down the length of the pond, he'd remark, "Some people are lucky they didn't get their feet wet". I don't remember the reason, but the ice in that spot wasn't to be trusted.

When we were trapping, we disguised the entry and exit of our trap line trail. People would take their touring sleds into some of the god forsaken places we went and nearly have a heart attack trying to get back out. We did this because we didn't want to go in and find the bodies. We had already retrieved two heart attack victims. That was enough. If you have ever been through a tag alder swamp with a sled then you know what I am talking about.

18 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

When we were trapping, we disguised the entry and exit of our trap line trail. People would take their touring sleds into some of the god forsaken places we went and nearly have a heart attack trying to get back out. We did this because we didn't want to go in and find the bodies. We had already retrieved two heart attack victims. That was enough. If you have ever been through a tag alder swamp with a sled then you know what I am talking about.

Or had it sink under you, god bless 250 Bravo's

21 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Faceman. I am afraid that is a different topic/story to be told concerning poor ice and water terrain conditions. We used to say that if you hadn't been stuck or wet, then you haven't been snowmobiling.

I am referring to working a trap line in a swamp, sometimes those tags and other underbrush hold you up, other times they "let you down" sometimes not very gracefully and normally without warning.

5 hours ago, crispy said:

"Stay on the trail"

That mission statement was born of necessity even though now its used to encourage land owner respect. A lot of damage and a lot of danger running off trail through unknown bush especially

30 minutes ago, Faceman said:

I am referring to working a trap line in a swamp, sometimes those tags and other underbrush hold you up, other times they "let you down" sometimes not very gracefully and normally without warning.

Anyone trying to follow a trapper's trail on something other than a Bravo, Tundra/Citation LS or Elan deserves to get stuck. Mind you I've been on a couple of OFSC trails in northern Ontario that weren't much better than trapper's trails. There was a trail from Mattagami to Matachewan (now gone) that we broke 1 day in a snowfall. Groomed trail ended & there was a narrow trail w/ flagging tape. Followed that to (I think) Campbell Lake & saw the stake line. Eventually came to an old mining road west of Matach' & just booted along.

In more recent years we ran the river from the trapping camp @ the end of L161 north of Mattice, south, looking for L153. Spotted some flagging tape on the east shore & a narrow trail. It lead to the groomed trail.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

Anyone trying to follow a trapper's trail on something other than a Bravo, Tundra/Citation LS or Elan deserves to get stuck. Mind you I've been on a couple of OFSC trails in northern Ontario that weren't much better than trapper's trails. There was a trail from Mattagami to Matachewan (now gone) that we broke 1 day in a snowfall. Groomed trail ended & there was a narrow trail w/ flagging tape. Followed that to (I think) Campbell Lake & saw the stake line. Eventually came to an old mining road west of Matach' & just booted along.

In more recent years we ran the river from the trapping camp @ the end of L161 north of Mattice, south, looking for L153. Spotted some flagging tape on the east shore & a narrow trail. It lead to the groomed trail.

sound like my adventure North of Mattice

1 hour ago, soupkids said:

sound like my adventure North of Mattice

I believe you are referring to the "Hatchet Trail"  that starts at the cabin and goes down (or up) the river foe 1/2 mile and then becomes a good rail again.  The first time My gang did it, we were confused but I followed the GPS and managed to see the stakes on the river.  Once you have done it, your a local and know the drill.

BP

1 hour ago, Big Pussy said:

I believe you are referring to the "Hatchet Trail"  that starts at the cabin and goes down (or up) the river foe 1/2 mile and then becomes a good rail again.  The first time My gang did it, we were confused but I followed the GPS and managed to see the stakes on the river.  Once you have done it, your a local and know the drill.

BP

That's it! You leave the cabin & then head south towards Hwy 11. I don't think I had a GPS track yet for the trail, but the trail was known.

my adventure was north towards Thunderhouse falls

image.thumb.png.0005c0d4a83e79180ace798cffab5889.png

Archived