Snowmobile insurance

Greggie

Today I called again Intact Insurance 844-495-2320 and select 1 and I spoke to the person and she verified it with her manager and yes it’s valid for everyone who buys a permit and it’s valid for whole Canada and USA. 

I understand that liability is about $125 in Ontario if you have no tickets. I have 4 tickets, and the insurance want $1040 for liability only...

It has also bodily coverage and it’s insured for $1,000,000.

33 minutes ago, BruteMan said:

actually someone on the bowtie run last year was telling his group at the dinner about getting the fine from a OPP a couple weeks before the event for not having ontario Insurance and that the FCMQ Insurance permit was not valid in ontario, Now i don't know if he was a QC res or if he was going to fight the charge etc. but for the $125 / yr  it costs me to throw on liability insurance on my sled isn't worth the problems with the OPP out on the trails.

he would have been on ontario resident. The qc policy included with the permit is valid here in Ontario for those residing in qc with their sled registered there. Ity is just like any other policy sold in qc. The problem with ontario residents buying qc insurance is the difference in our legal amounts for min coverage. In qc you do not have to buy bodily injury coverage whereas here you do. .not to mention, no insurer writing business in quebec will sell an ontario resident with an ontario registered car a policy. the only reason people even get this policy is due to the way it is administered and included in a trail pass. There is a provision to request a refund for the insurance portion of the trail pass when you provide proof of insurance bought outside of that program. 

7 minutes ago, Greggie said:

Today I called again Intact Insurance 844-495-2320 and select 1 and I spoke to the person and she verified it with her manager and yes it’s valid for everyone who buys a permit and it’s valid for whole Canada and USA. 

I understand that liability is about $125 in Ontario if you have no tickets. I have 4 tickets, and the insurance want $1040 for liability only...

Sorry, but you are getting bad advice. It would seem you are destined to do this. I pray you do not seriously injure a person, as you will have zero coverage. The police will fine you when you gat asked for proof of insurance and produce a qc policy as an ontario resident riding an ontario registered sled. just be prepared to get fined or worse, lose everything you own and have worked for your entire life.

11 minutes ago, Greggie said:

Oh, and right in the policy it clearly states no bodily injury coverage. Read the link I provided you. it is clearly written, and trust me, that is far more than what a call center person said. They most likely think you are a resident of qc or are too dare I say stupid, to understand what it is you are asking. Pay the 1000 for your insurance, slow down and get your driving record in order as there is no way around paying ontario rates. why not buy your auto insurance through that same agent while you are on the phone, it will also be about 1é2 what you pay here.

1 hour ago, Greggie said:

Mike, years ago it was only valid for Quebec residents and it includes also bodily coverage. I look from the other side, do you think that all Quebec snowmobiles who drive also outside don’t have valid coverage to drive in Ontario? If this was so, Intact Insurance would be sued all over. There are lots of snowmobilers who want also collision or fire and theft. For them it wouldn’t work...

Think about what you just said. You referred to Quebec residents being covered if they ride outside of Quebec. Yes they can ride outside of Quebec and still be covered. Just like you can ride outside of Ontario and still be covered. You're not a Quebec resident with a Quebec registered vehicle. Now extrapolate that to your car insurance. In Ontario you have vehicle insurance laws which differ from the rest of the country. As a resident of Ontario your insurer covers you based on the laws of Ontario. It doesn't mean you can't drive to other parts of North America and still be insured. The same for the person in Quebec who has insurance based on being a resident of Quebec whether it's for their car or their snowmobile.

But try telling your insurance company that you live somewhere other than where you actually do and then make a claim. i.e You live in Toronto which has relatively high vehicle insurance rates. Tell them you live in Parry Sound to save money on your insurance. Then get in an accident and they say you're not covered due to insurance fraud.

57 minutes ago, BruteMan said:

actually someone on the bowtie run last year was telling his group at the dinner about getting the fine from a OPP a couple weeks before the event for not having ontario Insurance and that the FCMQ Insurance permit was not valid in ontario, Now i don't know if he was a QC res or if he was going to fight the charge etc. but for the $125 / yr  it costs me to throw on liability insurance on my sled isn't worth the problems with the OPP out on the trails.

Exactly. The Quebec insurance portion of the permit is $46 and you can get a refund on that. I just checked and my liability insurance  for property damage and bodily injury is a whopping $60. Accident benefits is the biggest portion of the total premium which has unique laws relative to Ontario. If not mistaken the Quebec policy for the $46 covers what my liability insurance does but with lower limits than someone can claim in Ontario by law. So really my savings would be $14 a year when you compare an apple to an apple as best you can due to the insurance laws.

I'll spend that or more on lunch on one sled ride.

I carry extra accident benefits on my policy now too, not just basic crap. This is almost a must now, with such low limits are everything. The  gas, oil, and belt almost exceeds my insurance cost for the year and having coverage and hopefully not needing it is priceless. If you ever need it and don't have it, it will be a disaster. 

do you really want to argue this on the side of the trail with an opp officer at a stop? you may find you will be walking, and or needing a ride, and to pay fines, and fees for your now impounded sled. Ski

On ‎2017‎/‎12‎/‎29 at 9:43 AM, Greggie said:

It seems regardless of what we all tell you, you are insistent on doing this. I wonder, why even post to this forum seeking others advice when you were clearly just seeking validation or an argument?

~confused

Wyatt

Archived