Looking for opinions on my upcoming ride

LondonCalling

Me and two other guys are starting in Elliot Lake and the intent is to ride to Wawa in one day (about 400 km but I've heard the terrain is challenging)

On the way back we will be splitting the trip up with us stopping and spending a night at Halfway Haven (maybe Searchmont or Aubrey Falls)

Anticipating some discomfort after day one and a couple of bevys is the reason why.  That and I only have 3 days.

Is the first day too ambitious for one day.    Any advice is helpful.  I've never ridden this area before. 

It is doable. I've done 465 km/ day but it was a killer. Some of those trails are closed so your options if one or more close down are limited. You might want to contact those clubs to what groomer schedules are and trail conditions. You need a plan B incase you don't make it due to break down or almost anything. Also know what time the gas closes. I'm usually prepared to spend a night in the bush if I had to. Just my 2 cents. Of course we want a report.

RR

deleted

...Now how do I post some pics?

Her you go. A short how to upload pictures in your posts.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11219-loading-pictures/?p=131417

Here is a a text description by Blake

...Not sure if you have uploaded images to Ontario Conditions before, but this is the way I do it. When I decide to create my REPLY, I click the black "More Reply Options" rectangle at the bottom right. This will allow me to include the image with my typed reply. On the next screen I look to the bottom left where it says ATTACH FILES. I click BROWSE and then find my JPEG image on my computer and select it. Once I double click and select my JPEG image, I click the little black rectangle that says ATTACH THIS FILE. The little revolving arrows move while the file is being uploaded to Ontario Conditions. When the upload to the site has finished, I will see a thumbnail image of my JPEG at the left of the screen, and the file name to the right of the thumbnail. At this point I need to position my cursor at the appropriate point in my message, to set the position of the image within my message. When the cursor is in the appropriate place, I look to the far right of the thumbnail image and click ADD TO POST. Text something like this will appear within the message: (attachment = 13550 reroute midland.jpg) This means the image will appear when I click the small red ADD REPLY rectangle at the bottom of the screen.

Looking above I see a lot of steps. I hope I have given you useful information. As I said, once you do it a few times it becomes very easy...

Reved,

Thanks for the help with posting pics. now added

London, we did Elliot Lake to Wawa and back Feb 4 and 5. Thanks to the more senior (on the forum) OCers who offered trail and lodging advice. Had just Thursday and Friday to ride. Drove up Wednesday PM, leaving Halton at 15 degrees C at 2:30 PM. Got to Dunlop Lake Lodge at 8:30 PM and -2 and snowing. The great folks at DLL held supper for us, and we washed it down with a cold one. As we had been told, the lodge is a great place to launch from. No bare streets or parking lots to sled over, just a few hundred yards of groomed access trail to put you on the F trail. Great food at the lodge. Friendly staff, who support sledding.

As for your trip options, we two retired mid sixties gentlemen opted for what some might call an aggressive trip. We went to Wawa and back in the two days, at about 390 km, and 8.5 hours saddle time per day. Off the trail by 6-6:30 PM each day. We ride a 600 Etec and a 900 ACE, so we are not racers, but we move along, and subscribe to the idea that we drove up there to ride, not lolly gag. The first (and last returning) 50 km are a little tighter than most of the road and hydro line trails that make up the rest of the trip. We had fresh snow each morning, and mostly fresh groomed trails on the Friday return ride. I can second what I had been advised, that while the trails aren't the usual 'excellent', they are darn good and partly excellent. Better than the Whitney to Mattawa ride I had before the big meltdown. We stayed at the Wawa Motor In which was good and handy, and trail accessible. If we had gotten to Wawa earlier we were going to try the Bristol because multiple people suggested it, but we didn't want to go searching in the dark.

We met younger guys(than us) on Friday night at DL lodge who were going to Wawa Saturday, so it is a doable ride by a variety of riders. Hell, I just noticed what you ride. You might want to try for Dubreuiville and back.

BTW, I want to go back to this area sometime after Family Day (Feb 15), so if the riding style that I have described might suite anyone and you want to come along, let me know. Next time I want to ride for four days.

post-24010-0-73470400-1455024276_thumb.jpg

Parked at Dunlop Lake Lodge. 3 to 4 inches of fresh snow as we set out.

post-24010-0-98604900-1455024713_thumb.jpg

Intersection of DLL access trail and F. Headed north on F to Aubrey Falls.

post-24010-0-84074100-1454955086_thumb.jpg

View from sled, north of Elliot Lake.

post-24010-0-68101700-1455024781_thumb.jpg

Not the usual snow depth, but enough.

post-24010-0-47112000-1455024840_thumb.jpg

D106 at Aubrey Falls toward Searchmont. Table top at this end but "red" halfway across, according to Trail Status

post-24010-0-70350200-1455024899_thumb.jpg

Getting closer to Wawa

post-24010-0-38055300-1455024996_thumb.jpg

Wawa Friday morning.

post-24010-0-41599000-1455025072_thumb.jpg

Intimidating Superior from lookout just south of Wawa on D. No more picture taking, time to get back to Elliot Lake, starting with table top to Halfway Haven, where we caught up to the groomer who was just about to go to sleep. He was going back to Wawa Friday night.

You almost got it.

You almost got it.

Had it, then unknowingly messed up. Fixed. Thanks again.

Thank you for the excellent write-up and photos. Never sledded in that area myself.

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the effort. It looks great up there.

Looking good!! I will also be riding from Elliot lake to wawa this weekend.

Last minute opening for a third.  Two of still going..   third guy just threw out his back.  I'm leaving from London around 4pm and have to pick up buddy east of Brantford,  one more is welcome inside trailer and truck. 

Archived