conditions? trailside motels?- district 1 -

slomo

Figuring going east on 401 from Oshawa area for an easy Friday evening drive to eastern Ontario, district 1 area, stay at a motel/hotel on a trail to do short tours over a weekend. Anyone know of accomodation right on a trail not too far from 401? Parking sled in front of room would be nice.

Any word on real trail conditions?

Thanks in advance.

The Intrepid sledder posted on FB that the First Canada Inn @ Cornwall has trail access.

Really!!! Do they have SNOW. I'm 45minutes west of Cornawall and have squat. Well we have lots and lots of ice.

Ottawa doesn't have much either. Seems pembroke is where it starts from reports I am hearing.

Really!!! Do they have SNOW. I'm 45minutes west of Cornawall and have squat. Well we have lots and lots of ice.

According to the OFSC trail map, there are quite a few 'green' routes in the area? Looks like good day tour area. Any input from recent rides with regards to conditions would be appreciated...

post-19713-0-78582400-1328522803_thumb.j

"The Intrepid sledder posted on FB that the First Canada Inn @ Cornwall has trail access"

I will look this up as well as checking a few links provided by the district 1 web site.

revrnd - what is FB?

According to the OFSC trail map, there are quite a few 'green' routes in the area? Looks like good day tour area. Any input from recent rides with regards to conditions would be appreciated...

post-19713-0-78582400-1328522803_thumb.jpg

"The Intrepid sledder posted on FB that the First Canada Inn @ Cornwall has trail access"

I will look this up as well as checking a few links provided by the district 1 web site.

revrnd - what is FB?

facebook

The snow levels seem to increase when you get north of the 401. We rode some of the Carlton Regional trails from Osgoode to Navan and areas in between on the weekend and they were surprisingly good. There is a rock hard ice base with a few inches of snow on top. All were groomed flat with plenty of snow for lube and I only noticed one corner that was spun down to the ice. Lots of riders out enjoying the sunny weekend. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Any feedback or comments on the Iroquois Motel in Iroqouis? Easy trail access? Just need a place to camp will out riding. Picture from street view as has no web site.

post-19713-0-55929700-1328615866_thumb.j

Also looking at the Aquarius and the Tay Motel in Perth. Wondering about ease of access to trails or other comments.

http://www.aquariusmotel.ca/

http://www.tayinn.com/index.html

Slomo, Craig in his report said TOP E is right behind the Aquarius Motel.

Thanks! The Tay, Aquarius and another called the Colonial Inn are all right beside each other on the same street according to street view. And according to the IAFTC Map, it looks like the E trail is close by. If I get there this weekend, I'll update for your sheets.

P.S. - the only FB I know on these forums is Freezer Burnt..... :lol:

Thanks! The Tay, Aquarius and another called the Colonial Inn are all right beside each other on the same street according to street view. And according to the IAFTC Map, it looks like the E trail is close by. If I get there this weekend, I'll update for your sheets.

P.S. - the only FB I know on these forums is Freezer Burnt..... :lol:

Slomo, thanks muchly!

According to the nice lady at the Aquarius, he and his retinue are to return this Thursday. They could reach the trail on sled from the parking lot last time. Booked for this weekend and look forward to fullfilling my dream of riding the gently rolling trails in that area.

......Well actually my dream is to ride my sled through the streets of Upper Canada Pioneer Village near Morrisburg and imagine what the reaction would be of the early settlers to see such a thing or to sled between British/Canadian and American troops lined up facing each other in the 1812 battle of Crysler's Farm....Canadians won despite being greatly outnumbered in the last 'thin red line' battle fought on the continent...

Just an aside at this point....The district 1 web site does a great job of listing accomodations and showcasing various tours through the area. They have a variety of tours mapped on their site - click on the titles to show the routes: (slow tourers take note)

http://www.district1.../trailloops.htm

But if more of the accomodations businesses listed actually had a website and were sledder specific during the winter in addition to their summer information, they would attract more customers. There is also this thing called e - mail which is handy for timely information.

Friends of mine from Iroquios area were just at my place. They said its all ice around their place 5 mins north of Iroquois.

But if more of the accomodations businesses listed actually had a website and were sledder specific during the winter in addition to their summer information, they would attract more customers. There is also this thing called e - mail which is handy for timely information.

X1,000,000

A lot of times when you do a Google search for a place, chances are you get those bogus directories that are basically the name & phone number (gee thanks). There's a TV commercial on now about non-existant customers because of your business's non-existant website.

Friends of mine from Iroquios area were just at my place. They said its all ice around their place 5 mins north of Iroquois.

Thanks shawnj....noticed that area "went to yellow" on the interactive map...good news is light snow forecast for Friday, and colder temps for the weekend.

Plan A - Myself will likely do a circle from Perth on the E, follow E103 to E104A west to the other E, then back to Perth - perhaps doing some of the local trails at the western end of the loop. About 188 kilometers and actually figured out the total on the interactive map!! :-o

That should leave me with about 3/4 of a tank of gas to follow the nose of the sled for a while on other trails after that.

Would your friends have any idea of the status of the Iroquois Motel? It looks to be on a feeder trail and convenient to the 401. Rather drive a four lane highway after work on Friday to good conditions as opposed to cross country two lane roads where every shape looks like a deer or moose about to jump at your vehicle.

I will send my friend an email and see If he knows. He's at work so I may not her back right away. Did you call the motel and talk to them?

I will send my friend an email and see If he knows. He's at work so I may not her back right away. Did you call the motel and talk to them?

Nope, I was already booked at another one, but would definitely be interested for the future. No big rush. Good to get an outside opinion of somebody who knows what is important to sledders - parking, trail access, conditions etc. Couple of places I've contacted in the past couldn't answer even basic questions.

Couple of places I've contacted in the past couldn't answer even basic questions.

I think you'll see more of that the way the motel business is going.

This is email from my friend:

Yes it does, the trail comes out not to far from the Iroquois hotel.  That feeder trail will take you back to the main trail which I think is E104

Archived