Burk's Falls close to opening trails

steve c

Was on the almaguin (burk's falls area) website today, www.adsc-snow.org. They are saying some trails may be open by the weekend. The link to the weather reports shows it should be at zero or below for most of the week with some snow as well. (I know how much everyone loves the weather forecasters right now, but hey, maybe they will get this one right). Their website is usually good at keeping it updated, and usually when they show as limited, they are passable, not always perfect. May not have to drive as far north to find some open trails this weekend.

Hey Steve.. That's very good news.. I luv the trails in that area... Have you ever ridden up to Ahmic Lake and had lunch/supper at the Ahmic Lake Resort Restraunt? The bestest Schnitzel on or off the trail.. mmmmm

I hope you get to rid this weekend!!!!!

i went tho there last weekend going to north bay and there is not alot off snow at all, i was suprized to hear they where packing. but hope it works out for u .

lets hope they get alot of snow soon Steve, then we can get away for some riding

2012 January 10th 6:35 am update

ADSC will be opening all there trail system with exception of the ADSC 304 on Friday January 13th. All trails are currently cleared and packed with drags going on the groomers on Wednesday. Grooming will continue through the weekend as long as there is snow to groom. Trail opening will show on the OFSC web Site on Friday

All this is weather permitting but conditions look favouable

Something esle to be aware of in the Burks Falls area: We are heading up there this weekend, will be interesting to see the re-route, hope it doesn't totally bypass the swamp that the bridge leads to.

Jack Lake Bridge Closure and D123 Re-Route

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions and rumours around the closing and re-route of trail D-123 from Pickerel Lake to Burks Fall, here are the facts!

The Jack Lake bridge is a seventy year old eighty foot wooden bridge crossing the creek were it leaves Jack Lake. This bridge is located on private property on both sides and more private property surrounding that. This bridge has become increasingly less sound for many years, last year two main stringers broke almost rolling a $250,000 dollar groomer and its driver into the the river. In the spring upon inspection it was found that this structure in its entirety was to old and to rotten to save and away to far gone to attempt repair. Either repair or replacement involves getting permits from the MNR and oceans and fisheries which are only obtainable with all landowner approvals, environmental assessments and site engineering. MNR would never approve a repair on this bridge without engineering approvals which are no longer obtainable for this type of structure. It was suggested by a few local people that we try to repair it without obtaining permits, this would leave the club ADSC and its board of directors open to both liability suites, MNR fines from $5000 to $50,000 plus restoration costs which would be unimaginable, I can assure you this will not happen. If it was possible to obtain the permits, you would then have to engineer the removal of the old structure plus the new one that cost alone would be staggering add that to the cost and installation of a new bridge you would be looking in the $250,000 dollar range. Even if the club could afford this which we cannot it would still be at the total discretion of the landowner or adjoining landowners. This will not happen ever!

We have managed to secure a re-route byway of Garage road which we will do our best to improve on as time goes on. As it stands today we are still totaly at the mercy of the current and future land owners of Pickerel Lake Lodge and the surrounding property which could shut down any trail coming into or leaving Pickerel Lake so hope for the best. If you have any more questions regarding this trail or the Jack Lake bridge please feel free to call me at anytime. Please believe me when I say that we are doing everything within our power to maintain a viable link through your area and please put aside the rumours that a few certain people in the area have started regarding this situation. You are also invited at anytime to attend a club meeting at the Burks Falls Legion ever second Thursday of the month and we will discuss it first hand.

Jack Backus

ADSC pres

Thanks for the details Jack,

I heard about the lodge issues and read on the website about the trail change but wasnt sure where excatly that was.

Sounds like we lost a nice piece of trail.

d-123 is/was great trail...too bad about pickeral lk lodge too...

2012 January 12th 4:49 PM update

We are Open

All ADSC trails are open with exception of ADSC 304. Both groomers are running and will run all weekend, all trails have been cleared and well packed and the majority groomed at this time. There may be a few short sections of the ADSC 306 into Sundridge that are packed and cannot be groomed till next week. Weather is looking real good so come and enjoy the weekend on the trails.

Trails are still fresh so drive carefully!!

This is awesome! Hats off to the ADSC and all their volunteers. You guys do a a great job on your trail system and your website is excellent and always up to date.

Archived