Wawa/Dubreuilville Trail conditions-Realtime

sleddog

Just got home last night from an amazing week in Wawa.

Here's the skinny:

Even tho they lost a little snow on Friday when it got to 38 F and drizzled rain, the trails held up well due to the hard work of the Wawa groomers. Wawa LK is frozen and staked. Once you get 6 miles north of the LK on the D trail the snow really picks up to Hawk Junction. From there north, it gets amazing.

The D'Ville D trail west loop was flawless Thurs to the Kabi River. Then the Hornepayne groomers did their magic all the way to town. On the way back we took the D'ville East loop that 2 of my guys said, "It's not on my GPS." and I said trust me. It was amazing. 24" plus, flat as a 10 year old girl and not a track on it for 55 miles! You could see where Luc had gotta out and brushed in the middle of the night to clear the trail.

On Sat. we took the the D north to the F heading to Missanabee. There had been an old track, but 18 plus inches of fresh snow hid the tracks and we busted powder to Dog Lk. Once we tighted our balls, we made one of my most nerve racking rides across the lake ever. 65 mph and slush to the running boards. After tracking Ernie down, we gassed up, warmed up and took the old #2 trail north to the haul rd. that leads back into Dubreuiville. 60 miles of the most awesome powder riding in recent memory.

5 of the 8 guys had never been in that area and will have to have their grins surgicially removed.

We loaded all the pics onto 1 laptop and once they are shared, I'll post some.

In closing let me say this. Mere words cannot express the gratitude we have for the Jones Boys and their crew in Wawa and especially Luc and the D'Ville guys. Knowing that you work all day, gulp down some dinner and head out into the bush to clear a path for us to ride boggles the imagination. You grab a little sleep and do it again day after brutal day. Please know your efforts are acknowledged and appreciated by those of us fortunate enough to be able to ride and experience the beautiful Canadian countryside.

See you SOON.

Ron Schroeder aka The Sleddog

SnomadS Snofari Club - Michigan

Great report, thanks for sharing

Great Report/ Look forward to the pictures.

Same here bring on the pics

We just missed each other Ron. When I got back to work they said you stopped in. I took a shortcut back to work after fixing some signins on the trail.

Glad you guys had a good trip.

Here are a few pics. Enjoy.

Hey Sleddog,

Sounds like a great ride! Who had the new Cat. Hard to tell, but think it is an XF1100 Turbo (could be an F?) Did they like it? Looks like he might have got it stuck?

We rode there a few weeks ago. It is great riding thanks to all that opened the trails this year.

I've gotta tell you, I have ragged on my Cat buddies for years for issues they've had with their sleds. But this thing is a beast. This was the only time this thing got hung up, so I lept from my sled to snap a pic. He picked it up last week and broke it in this trip.

177hp with a turbo. Fri morning I took them to the High Falls in Wawa. It's at the bottom of a series of switchbacks on a road that isn't plowed. Just as we got down there, here comes a Kia clown car with no snow tires. A 24 yr old mining engineer from Quebec drove a rental down to see the falls. Needless to say it just rocked back and forth.

After me trying 2 attempts and only getting 1/2 way up the first hill, Leigh said, "I have a strong tow strap". So we hooked the Kia to the 1100 Turbo and I drove the car with the guy in with me. When that turbo kicked in, it gave us a helluva yank and up we went, all the way around the 3 hills to the top. Like I said, What a beast!

post-20553-0-18455900-1326144578_thumb.jpg

post-20553-0-33197200-1326144598_thumb.jpg

The last picture of me bieng club President.... that will be worth lot's of bucks. lol

I saw your post on your Blog Page 2 hrs after we left the store. I wish you'd have shared that with me then so we could've talked. Trust me, as President of our Club for over 7 years, I too got to a point where I felt overworked and under appreciated and had to take a break. But once all of the calls and emails of support came in and I finished my break, I came back for those that depended on me and screw the detractors. Take a break, recharge your batteries, restablish what is important and then get your ass back in the groomer. We're coming back in Feb. HAHAHAHAHA.

Ron, glad you guys had a great, safe, and snowy time! I'm jealous with a capital "J". Donny and I still haven't had a chance to ride this season. How ridiculous is that???!!!!

Luc, I haven't had the privledge to meet you yet, but I truly hope you take some well deserved time off and reconsider volunteering with the club in the future. You are a first-class ambassador for the sport! Ron hit it on the head, he knows firsthand. And I see these same struggles within our local clubs and we only maintain a small franction of the trails you do. Your undertaking is enormous in proportion to ours. Please enjoy your sabbatical whether it be permanent or temporary, but please know that any of us that have rode your trails, or read your blog or postings appreciates your efforts more than we can ever adequately express. Thank you!!!

I think that I have a pic of some guys that we helped a wee bit git back DOWN the hill in Col April of '02.

I think it was Cottonwood Pass?

(Slight chance that it may have been in the Snowies near Laramie, Wyoming tho?)

These two guys made it UP the switchback road in the morning while it was froze tight, but then as they wanted to come back down in the afternoon the snow was slushy, and their little SUV (S-10 Blazer maybe?) couldn't pull the two place open trailer with two sleds on it down the hill. They were stuck when we came up on them.

The fix was to hook a sled to the front and tow the rest down. It was a sight!

I have a partial pic of it as they went around the switchback - there was a few trees in the road, but....

I guess it's kind of like some other pics that I have. (Otter, Wolves, etc) where you kant really see it clearly, but I can remember it just fine with the partial view. RockOn2.gif

Luc,

As a past club president here in NY i know your decision was difficult to say the least. I also understand and respect your choice. I must say that you are the reason that our small group comes through Dub. If it wasn't for you we probably wouldn't have ever made it to the store. I'm not sure I even want to think about what will happen to your trails without you at the helm. If we can get through we'll certainly be in again. I'm sorry to see you go and thank you for all your dedication and hard work. The residents of Dub are soon going to realize how important your sacrifices have been. Thank you and hope to see you back.

Archived