Wawa Open

FINNDIAN

We were a few klicks beyond the 7 East and 7 North split on the N route.

Maybe we are talking aboot 2 differn't hills?

I was very much cornfused in previous posts as to where exactly I was as I was thinking that 7N was where the "groomer/packer" had went, and that I had buggered off and onto the East route. But per Gordy saying that they hadn't been beyond Wawa Ford, I concluded now that there was a hbig 4wd that went through up to Paint Lake Road and I had actually followed 3 up to 7, and missed the E route as I wasn't expecting a split at that point anymore. So I was just following whatever signs I saw. (most lookin' the other way actually...)

The signs for several klicks all said "Dubre" up where we turned around.

Per my GPS and TOPO maps I knew that I was way N of the Dam road trail - where-ever that thing buggered off to...

I saw the 7E split on the way back to Mo's.

Yeah - we were several klicks up the N route. Aboot 2/3 of the way from Mo's to 17.

(BTW - I looked, but didn't see a snow guage @ Mo's)

I had figgered out as I went along that I was on 7N by that time. But I was thinking that the club must have started using a new route is all.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are no where near paint lake road in there. paint lake rd is north of 519 going to dub heading east and west. i think you are talking about ballenger rd. ski

No - I know exactly where Paint Lake road is. I have spent a few days in there.

That is actually where we picked up the moose drop this weekend.

I was told this weekend that you CAN get through from Wawa to Paint via bush road.

If I understood right - it comes out at klick 11, which makes sence as we hadn't ran anything less than 13.

So that makes sence. (to me anyway)

My maps don't show any info that current. (1977)

BTW - I have edited above since your post.

Does anyone know if they have finished the forest map for the areas N of the Montreal yet?

MNR guy told me in 2003 (?) that they were working on it. I love the Algoma Forest map!

(Actually - I think I was back the Paint when I talked to him that time too...)

idunno, guess we'll have to let gord chime in. trail 7 north of the 3-7 split is ballenger rd for the most part. then you cross 17 and head toward gudreau. (sp), ski

idunno, guess we'll have to let gord chime in. trail 7 north of the 3-7 split is ballenger rd for the most part. then you cross 17 and head toward gudreau. (sp), ski

you can get to paint lake road and even up to white river from diferent logging roads from back there....

I know that we were at 48.05N and 84.54W (or there aboots on the W) at one point when I looked at a map. And I am sure that we went prolly 2-4 klicks further before we cried uncle.

I see the rd that you are calling Ballanger. (shown, but not labeled)

I would say that we were knocking on it's back door.

Prolly within a klick I'd guess. (Just guessing at the intersection point as I don't show trail 7 on the Topo)

As Luc said - I was told that you can git all the way to White River through there. (Without going through the park I take it.)

you might have been able to get to white river 5-6 years ago but, when the logging stopped, so did the brushing. now most areas will be severely overgrown.

from what i gather, one time white river tried to get a direct trail to white river but, there was a few LARGE river crossings that needed big dollar bridges, and the budget didnt allow plus a few other reasons and resistances.

gord again might be able to help out but, i think to get on the white river roads, you actually skirt left well before you get to the baby hill. and take a completely different route than what you did to get up to ballenger rd area. i have been in there, you cant go very far when you hit the first pulled bridge/culvert, and the banks are steep in and out, and the river is deep and fast. i have never thought i could make it accross the times we have made it there as the ice was rotten.

ski

Yes white river wanted to have a direct link to wawa, there was some bridges to put in and some work to be done, The Dubreuilville club was one against it for different reasons, 1 was that white river had allready problems trying to open and take care of the only trail they have... White River only has D trail in and D trail out... they have River xings that give them problems and kept them from opening early. 2 Wawa's old President from a Long time ago Wayne Price wanted the trail and was talking about having the D trail changed to that new trail and by pass Dubreuilville The relation of the 2 clubs where not good in those years, ever since he left both clubs are working great.

Yeah - White River has never been known to be Johnny-on-the-Spot when it comes time to get things opened.

Ox looking at your gps co ordinates you were way up there. (red flag). the blue lines are trails 3 and 7.

ox.jpg

I know there is a route through to paint lake rd. I think it's pretty grown in and only passable by atv.

There is a native trapper from the reserve here that traps way up there in the pukaskwa. Maybe you were following his tracks.

You have dyslexia Gord.

I said W84.54

You keyed in 85.44W

I was breaking trail that general direction earlier in the day, but not nearly that far in!

You can see my tracks S off of 3, 4 klicks in from Mo's. We only made it a few klicks before soft snow turned us around.

I think where your flag is is likely a big hole in the ground - aint it?

OX dont know where he is at. LOL! heck, half the time i dont either but, i always end up making it back to somewhere i recognize. LOL! that is what exploring and offtrail adventure riding is all aboot. ski

Gordy - I don't know what fer map your using, but that flag is NOT at the co-ordinates shown at the bottom of your screen.

N is shown as 48.3 something, but the flag is at 48.03N

Screen shows W85.21, but the flag is at W85.33

Time to put that link down and back away slowly before someone gits lost!

i have spent a lot of time back there the last two summers, thats my back yard. we have used maps along with gps trying to find a way to white river with no success. followed a trail that looked promising on the map but it eventually became overgrown. i think we have been back every moose path back there but no luck.

Wawa lake is now staked. D trail is open from Trail 5 through wawa to Dubruilville now.

Everything we've had time to open is near perfection.

Some cottage owners from Whitefish lake brushed trial 8 for use over the last few days. Great thanks to them.

this weekend we will be working on opening trials 8,9 and D south to Anjigami lake.

Wawa lake is now staked. D trail is open from Trail 5 through wawa to Dubruilville now.

Everything we've had time to open is near perfection.

Some cottage owners from Whitefish lake brushed trial 8 for use over the last few days. Great thanks to them.

this weekend we will be working on opening trials 8,9 and D south to Anjigami lake.

That is great news.

We love riding those trails! Most never take the time, but should!

Archived