Butler Lake Truck Stop & New Liskeard Husky

revrnd

Here's what my North Bay trucker friend replied w/:

Timing of your questions was perfect, as I have patronized both places recently. New Liskeard Husky has reopened their restaurant a little over a month ago, it had been closed since sometime in September. When I was there a couple of weeks ago it had been only open about 3 days and not all items were available on the menu. A young couple are running it and trying to rehire waitresses, so at the time it was only open until 10pm. Not sure what happened to old operators. I think Husky leases out operation to independant operators. Also earlier this summer I went in one day and there was no coffee available in convenience store due to drinking water problems.. Truck stop with no coffee? Thats a first!

So there may have been some problems, fuel I can't say, but other than that they seem to be keeping it running.

Butler Lake is worth a stop, easy to park any vehicle, They have really fixed it up, for a while I thought it would join the ranks of other abandoned failed businesses. Country Style Coffee and some donuts, not full selection but that is OK. Restaurant has a few tables and from what I can see cooking is done on a kitchen stove like you have at home. Limited menu, daily specials and reasonable prices and friendly service, although if you are in a hurry it might not be the place. Again it looks like a small operation possibly family. I usually stop in when passing through.

Interestingly, ate at both places last couple of years.

Husky (under what appears to have been the old ownership) was always filled with customers, and had 25 sleds in front of the restaurant. The usual Roast Beef, french fries and cole slaw menu, at lunch. Corned Beef sandwich special the day we were there. I'd eat there again.

Butler Lake has lots of parking for trailers, and as pointed out above, has a home cooked, 'no hurry', feel to it. I'd support it simply to maintain a fuel stop for sledders in the area (and the food was good, when we stopped). Stop in while trailering. You'll be doing a favour for our sport.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone gotten gas @ Butler Lake recently? I've read elsewhere that the fuel situation there might be iffy.

It's not a make or break situation w/ gas @ Delean's & McPherson's to the south & a couple of stations in Matheson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of sledders there when we went by both times. A couple of sleds filling up last Sun'.

we got gas there a week ago going back up wed.

• 4 months later...

I was in the Kirkland Lake area this week & made previous arrangements to meet a trucker friend here who drives a Purolator load from North Bay to Timmins each day. The rest' appears to be about the same size as before. The wraps we had were good & made fresh.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old topic but I was at the Butler Lake truck stop on Monday and they posted a sign that reads "Closed Sundays starting Dec 9, 2012". I asked about the sledders coming through and they say they will start opening Sundays again in January or February when they start touring though the area. I hope they don't wait too long 'cause this is a regular run for the family and I on Sundays from KL.

If you are looking for the great baked goods previously sold there, look to Delean's in Kenogami as the lady that used to run Butler Lake TS is now operating Delean's.

Happy sleddin!

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the update, UF.

Also the tip about Delean's.

Archived