Sample sign required (Mutli-Use Trail Image)

Canuck

I'm assisting our local club with brushing and trail signs. Part of a new trail will be "multi-use", and I mentioned to the sign installer that Orillia (by waterfront) has numerous multi-use signs as well as the dreaded 20 km/h (my sled overheats in certain conditions-no rear heat exchanger on 2006 Yamaha).

Anyhow, does anyone have an image of the MULTI-USE trail? As I recall, it had pedestrians on one side (with arrow) and snowmobiles on the other.

Thanks in advance.

(also posted in Orillia forum)

Not sure if these are the types you are looking for but the "yellow" yield sign is very common.

post-19777-0-27774000-1322171296_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-82241400-1322171298_thumb.png

Thanks FQ.

Gonna run the lower one by our illustrious volunteer co-ordinator, whom we call "Dark Lord of the Sith" when he's out of hearing distance.

(I actually think it's too complicated, even if there are horses in the area and even if there was a snowmobile image in the hierarchy).

Yeah and the horses leave huge holes in the trail and crap every 1 km. I think they should have to buy a pass and display it on their helmet. Have horse riders around here and they think they own the trail.

Yeah and the horses leave huge holes in the trail and crap every 1 km. I think they should have to buy a pass and display it on their helmet. Have horse riders around here and they think they own the trail.

That is a sore spot with me. I love horses, but not on a rail trail. If I was to walk my dog and he crapped, I am expected to pick it up. Horses leave monstrous piles of steamy loads like IED's all down the trail. But you have to bow to friggin' horses. GLUE I say!

Glue.

Now that's funny. Sick, but funny.

Having just been through the OFSC District signage training, I have learned to not use the "yellow" one - it is not an OFSC approved cautionary or regulatory sign. As I understand, if we want that sign, make it blue with white lettering, or white with black lettering, etc (just not black on yellow, or white on red). :idea:

Having just been through the OFSC District signage training, I have learned to not use the "yellow" one - it is not an OFSC approved cautionary or regulatory sign. As I understand, if we want that sign, make it blue with white lettering, or white with black lettering, etc (just not black on yellow, or white on red). :idea:

OFSC needs to have their head examined. Cautionary signs are yellow and black pretty much everywhere in the english speaking world. It is a recognized format. Blue and white signs (information signs, according to OFSC) do not stand apart from distance signs, and do not represent cautionary signage. Orange would be the other color one might see, but typically only in a construction zone. Plus the OFSC uses yellow and black for arrow signs, stop ahead signs, bridge signs, slow signs, railroad crossing..etc. DId somebody decide to change the "rules" to be applied to a cautionary sign? A good lawyer could have a field day with the OFSC.

OFSC needs to have their head examined. Cautionary signs are yellow and black pretty much everywhere in the english speaking world. It is a recognized format. Blue and white signs (information signs, according to OFSC) do not stand apart from distance signs, and do not represent cautionary signage. Orange would be the other color one might see, but typically only in a construction zone. Plus the OFSC uses yellow and black for arrow signs, stop ahead signs, bridge signs, slow signs, railroad crossing..etc. DId somebody decide to change the "rules" to be applied to a cautionary sign? A good lawyer could have a field day with the OFSC.

Is the sign in question an OFSC sign or a township sign ? Did the club have the sign made for the township ?? You speak as though the OFSC doesn't have legal councel when putting together their signage guidelines ? There's many many user groups using signage on many trails, the OFSC has theirs and other groups theirs, the OFSC is only legaly responsable for their own signage that is part of the OFSC signage guidlines ....

In this case personaly I would just tell the township the club cannot put up that sign as it is not a prescribed OFSC sign, putting up that sign for the township would be no different then taking the responsability of putting up stop or speed limit signs on township roads.

Thanks group.

The top image in Rainx's post is the path we're taking.

Is the sign in question an OFSC sign or a township sign ? Did the club have the sign made for the township ?? You speak as though the OFSC doesn't have legal councel when putting together their signage guidelines ? There's many many user groups using signage on many trails, the OFSC has theirs and other groups theirs, the OFSC is only legaly responsable for their own signage that is part of the OFSC signage guidlines ....

You are missing my point. That is, the OFSC does not make sense in dictating that a "yield" sign should be in blue and white as RainX has suggested. That makes zero sense as their other signage that is cautionary in nature is of the traditional yellow and black design. This including but not limited to turns, stop ahead, ice, railway crossing, slow, etc. If a yield sign was erected in the blue and white color scheme I could guarantee it would be missed as nobody would recognize it as a cautionary sign. Signs are designed to be universally recognized. Example, "stop" signs are hexagonal and red in color. If the OFSC guided a yield sign to be developed in blue and white they are also contradicting their own policy about signage as their information signs being made in the blue and white color scheme. A yield sign is not an informational sign. It is cautionary!

I am aware that ATV clubs have their own signs, towships have their own signs and you see all of them on the trails. I understand that the OFSC is only responsible for their signage, but if they were to direct the construction and development of a sign in the wrong context there is certain liability. I question RainX's comment "As I understand, if we want that sign, make it blue with white lettering, or white with black lettering, etc (just not black on yellow, or white on red). " This does not make sense.

If the township itself was to erect a sign of any description, displaying rules of the trail, times of use, etc. It has to be adhered to, regardless if the OFSC prescribed the sign or not. My guess is that the percentage of installed OFSC signs are installed wrong, in improper places, do follow consistentency, is very high.

In this case personaly I would just tell the township the club cannot put up that sign as it is not a prescribed OFSC sign, putting up that sign for the township would be no different then taking the responsability of putting up stop or speed limit signs on township roads.

If the township is asking the local club to assist in solving a problem, I would think in the interest of good cooperation, the club would do it's best to assist the township with accomplishing that. I believe that was why Canuck was asking in the first place. I am sure the township is not asking the club for them to be told they can not put up a sign. Clubs and townships really need to problem solve together. If it works for you Nutter to tell your township that you cant help them, I hope you or your club does not need a favor at some time...I'd be telling you to look elsewhere.

Canuck the top one is the one to use,have your club and township install properly and permently.

as far as i knew black/yellow was cautionary signs and red/white black white blue white were regulatory signs

OFSC calls blue and white signs "information" signs. As referred to on the OFSC site. A true yield sign is not regulatory.

Canuck the top one is the one to use,have your club and township install properly and permently.

Thanks Lep. The signs will be ordered soon.

Fred Quimby - I'm playing this one by the rules re: sledding. The horses are on their own .......

post-19774-0-53392000-1322271886_thumb.jpg

Fred Quimby - I'm playing this one by the rules re: sledding. The horses are on their own .......

The best one that I have seen simply states "Multi use trail please respect other users"

Love it !

Yep. Answer received, via forum and email.

Thanks again.

Can I ask a silly question, not related to the above?

Can businesses still advertise on trails? It seems to me that there is less and less 'information' on the trails, and I do interpret ads for restaurants, service and fuel as information.

Yep. Answer received, via forum and email.

Thanks again.

Can I ask a silly question, not related to the above?

Can businesses still advertise on trails? It seems to me that there is less and less 'information' on the trails, and I do interpret ads for restaurants, service and fuel as information.

Absolutely as long as said advertised business signage is coordinated through the club ... We don't want to have businesses randomly putting up signage in the wrong places ... Upsetting landowners and going against OFSC signage guidlines ....

Yes it's also considered informational signage .....

In fact we have a couple of new businesses wanting to advertise this year and have signs on order .....

Thanks for your efforts Canuck , our club and the Sith Lord appreciate it !

Makes sense (getting club permission).

I hope more local businesses do it.

There's a friggin Tim Horton's in almost every town, and it's the 'easy' choice. Unfortunately, the smaller operators have to get into our faces a bit more.

Archived