Sault Ste. Marie - Recommended Trips?

Canuck

Can anyone recommend a 4 night, saddle-bagging route from Sault Ste. Marie?

I want to ride that area again (missed it last year), and will launch from Water Tower Inn.

With D trail closed, the usual route through Wawa is not available, and I'm hoping someone with local knowledge has input as to how to poke my way north-east.

How far do you ride a day?

Two ways east and one way north if F trail is open. Give an idea of the type of riding so we can figure the stops........

Well I want that F trail to be open this winter, a few times they said that there needed more snow to open it, I heard that sometimes they had not even been out to check it out..... because there was many times there was low snow in chapleau. Over the year on many ocasions ive been packing trails and then realize that there was more snow than we had taught.... once there we see that there was plenty. So we need to head out and check it out this winter.... wish I had a better sled because I would go out and check it out.... maybe we could get some guys from here with good sleds to go and check it out. SKI? lol I know you like that.

The pressure is on. No F trail and that would really hurt the north east even more traffic wise. Is the F trail more severe terrain then the D trail that is now closed? Hope you guys get enough snow to open it, since the choices are vanishing.

How far do you ride a day?

Two ways east and one way north if F trail is open. Give an idea of the type of riding so we can figure the stops........

200 to 250 kilometers per day.

Last trip was:

Elliot lake - chapleau

Chapleau - dub - wawa

Wawa - Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie to Elliot Lake

Now looking to start in Sault, but HH closure is making a loop tough.

I think that the train from Sault Ste. Marie will be part of my solution to Halfway Haven closure. Head up, and start in Dub'ville, loop up through Hearst, Kap, Cochrane, and then head back south-west through Chapleau. Reverse could also be done, I suppose. Sled from SSM towards Cochrane, end the trip in Hearst. Catch train south.

Any 'non train', Sault Ste. Marie based, trip suggestions also appreciated.

Hi Canuck,

You pretty much know that back tracking is needed if you go north up the F trail unless you have good conditions and are willing to go farther each day to loop down through Sudbury then back west along the north channel. (Also a great trip.)

The train is the best option if you want to come back to finish the loop from Hearst.

All that said, going up to Dubreuilville as you said would be the best because you can almost always count on conditions up north! The loop around through Chapleau and northern corridor is always great. Like some people on here have mentioned, be sure to take the L123 from Moonbeam to Opasatika (or the other direction) as it is a great break from the "A trail Hwy." and really nice without all the road crossings. You can cut back to the main trail if the need arises. See the map.

Another really great run is Dub to Hornepayne to Hillsport. Then on to Longlac and do the loop and stay in Longlac. Then reverse it and stay in Hornepayne on the way back. Last day after getting back to Dub, you could include a trip over to Henry's on Hwy.17 along the D trail west toward White River from Dub. Henry's has gas and food and is on Hyw.17 at Hammer Lake about 30 miles before White River. You can even stay if you want. That run from Dub is so nice. The ride was fantastic last year and just a dream!

If going to stay in Chapleau, I love Valentine Farms B&B with indoor sled parking and the feel of home. Dub is going to have some kitchenets for rent this year I heard from GG and $60/night.

PM me when you will be going and I might run into you.

Scott

The pressure is on. No F trail and that would really hurt the north east even more traffic wise. Is the F trail more severe terrain then the D trail that is now closed? Hope you guys get enough snow to open it, since the choices are vanishing.

The section of the F trail that has not been open is between Chapleau and Aubrey Falls.

Aubrey Falls is where it starts north and yes the trail is tight with big hills and lots of runoff when it warms. The trail is prone to lots of falling limbs and cleanup each season or like now after many seasons "not open' could be a big job. The D trail is lots of road in the south & more open and flat for the first 60 miles. Snow is a factor too. Not always enough farther east from the lake. There is elevation between the lake and the F trail also.

best bet is to wait and see if the F trail between aubrey falls and chapleau opens. you will have to wait till probably late jan to know if it will open. then plan for early to mid feb. it might be one of those seat of the pants, ok it is open, lets go type trips. no real way to plan it far out in advance without a crystal ball that works.

leaving from the sault or searchmont, if you can swing it, ride the D and d106 to the F trail to chapleau the first day (BIG MILEAGE DAY). then over to dub the second day (lunch at ernies), and loop down to hawk on the trail, and magpie back to dub, staying in dub. the 3rd day, ride the area, either go to hornepayne for lunch and back (200 miles round trip), or run the 100 mile loop, and have a lunch on the trail. or hundred mile loop, then over to ernies and back or run down to wawa, and around there. lots of day riding to be had. and lots of forum sponsors, and members to visit too. the 4th day sled to hawk, get on the train, train to searchmont or the sault. wherever you started from.

now i am going to tell you an option BUT, IT IS AT YOUR OWN RISK, AND YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE THE ENTIRE GROUP YOU ARE WITH CAN DO THIS WITH THEIR SKILL LEVEL, AND SLED THEY OWN.

AC+YA has done this regularly so it can be done, if you are prepared correctly.

if the F trail doesnt open from chapleau to aubrey falls, AND the soo club grooms to halfway haven, for the sake of arguement this season. you can fill up to the brim at searchmont, and take an extra jerry can, and ride from searchmont to just south of halfway haven, and take the wilderness trail across from the D trail to the F trail. AC+YA can give the exact miles but, if i remember correctly it is about 140 miles with no fuel, no lodging, no rest stops/warming huts. so it will be tight on fuel, meaning.... no extra cirricular playing, or getting lost.

if the soo club grooms to halfway haven, you will have a groomed base for about 80 miles to the wilderness trail crossing. it is about 60 miles accross the wilderness trail. it can be packed by sleds, or blown in deep by fresh snow. so, it could be a difficult day depending on conditions, and if you have people that cant handle deep snow, trail breaking type of riding. and obviously if this scenario plays out, you would burn through more fuel, so lead swapping would be a viable plan to avoid one person doing all the work and running out of fuel both physically, and in the sled.

i almost hate to put this out there for the masses but, for those that understand the depth of the situation, and having the skill set to do this, and knowing you could be out of gas with no help for miles and miles and miles.... possibly spending a night or two in the bush waiting for a passing sled to help bail you out.... IF YOU HAVE ANY RESERVATIONS ABOUT YOUR SLED RELIABILITY, FUEL MILEAGE, YOUR SKILL SET OR THOSE IN THE GROUPS SKILL SET.... DONT TRY THIS!!!!

this is an "option". not one i would use with a new group, or first time ontario people ect.... but, a last resort option for those that "have" to do it. ski

I would love a trip like that Skidooboy, don't think I could find anyone I ride regular with, but I know friends on the "ROCK" with the experiance and balls to try it.

PS, wife would kill me if I froze to death in the woods. Ha,ha

It could be four feet of un touched powder. Hard to break for a few miles never mind 50. You would need long track mountain sleds in the

Lead for sure. Weather is defiantly a factor. Hit it on a bad day and it would be impossible I imagine.

It could be four feet of un touched powder. Hard to break for a few miles never mind 50. You would need long track mountain sleds in the

Lead for sure. Weather is defiantly a factor. Hit it on a bad day and it would be impossible I imagine.

Viper,

I have had machines that got stuck in a foot of new snow, so with that in mind you are so right. The machines and the experience combined with fuel supply is necessary.

I have been riding crossovers and mountain sleds for a number of years because I want to be able to ride after a storm and at times cut through on untouched roads / "Wilderness Trails" which are not groomed. I love finding shortcuts along trails also.

That said, I have been cutting through straight to Chapleau from Searchmont for years. When I first explored the area, it was with a couple guys with longer tracked machines. The last three years have seen my kids run it with me.

It will be a new animal if no grooming has been done but remember that 80 kilometers of the trip is along plowed roads. Not plowed to dirt, but sometimes sanded on the hills. Only those prepared with deep snow machines should be out there. A wrong turn could seal your fate, so this is not for anyone without knowledge!

In the past, about 50 kilometers were untouched and sometimes very deep. Last year there was one tree down but Toll Creek Rd. was not totally blocked, so we never had to completely stop. If this route was through a tight trail, I would not and most likely could not run it!

Without grooming, much of this trip will still have sled tracks due to so many running to their camps. I think that up to 100 kilometers of this trip will be somewhat virgin. After the first sleds through, it takes lots of snow before a trail seems virgin again. The energy needed to run a 4 week old sled track with a fresh foot of snow covering it is only half of that needed to break virgin powder.

Lots of extra fuel is burned in the deep making this 135 mile trip segment an adventure even for long track sleds. With the F trail back, and no D Trail, I think this will be my route to Dub. and Wawa from the Sault at least a couple times. I am hoping for a trip up from the U.P. of Michigan taking the Ferry to Drumond Island and then the Ice Bridges to connect and go all the way North.

Wow.

Just clicked on this after a few days away.

Thanks for the excellent information.

Fingers crossed that the F trail is open between Chapleau and Aubrey Falls.

I recall riding around Aubrey Falls on Valentines Day, and they just had their first groomer pass (branches still sticking out of trail).

Information is more readily available nowadays, and this is some of the best pre-trip info. I've seen on the area. As the season progresses, I look forward to reading (and providing) more 'trail' reports.

Archived