Barrie Area Conditions

Giddy UP

Well....with all the snowsqualls and white-out conditions - Mr. Giddy and I decided to head out early today to see what the trail conditions were like. Started out on B Trail North to Elmvale to have breakfast at our favourite little restaurant "Alma's". We discovered that B Trail must have been groomed last night, as there was a good 10-15 cms of fresh powder on top of the groomed trail 8-)

DSCN3213.jpg

So far so good! As we headed up to the junction of 417 and B Trail we could see that the groomer must have just left the groomer shed again this morning and must be not far ahead of us. It was snowing and blowing pretty hard! We met the groomer just south of Elmvale on C Trail heading North to the 416. After a stop for breakfast we headed back South on C to 417 south. We passed A Channel News filming the trails and Brian Harrison from OFSC at the Sno Voyageurs Groomer Shed. A quick stop to say "hello" and give two thumbs up to the Sno Voyageurs for the excellent job of grooming!! We headed south on 417 which had not been groomed yet- however conditions were pretty good considering all the fresh powder 8-)

DSCN3214.jpg

417 - B103 - fairly bumpy on B103 for a short distance - but then pretty good through the fields with some great drifts to play in!!! B103 to 414. 414 had also been groomed probably last night with some fresh powder on top!

DSCN3215.jpg

Decided to run down 421 to Gasoline Alley for some fuel - Mr. Giddy needed a top up - conditions were great! Once again, tabletop with fresh power and some more drifts to play in cool0012.gif Crossed over the 400 and it was blowing snow in both directions. WAIT! Is that Maple on her way home from Sudbury??? Nasty driving conditions again today on all highways around this area!

DSCN3210.jpg

Back up the 421 to 414 to B to 415 - all GREAT! The snow was pretty heavy and white outs made the riding a challenge across the open fields - but conditions were awesome if you like to play in the drifts and powder! Once we got on the 415 we could see that the groomer (probably the same one we passed in the morning on C Trail and now heading back) must be not too far ahead of us - the ribbon was still smooth and no snow had accumulated yet and it was still coming down hard! 8-)

DSCN3216.jpg

It was a virtual winter wonderland as we headed further up 415 towards Hillsdale the squalls were getting heavier.

DSCN3217.jpg

DSCN3218.jpg

We finally caught up with the groomer just before the junction of 415 & 416

DSCN3220.jpg

Watch out for the logging going on at the junction of 415 & 416

DSCN3221.jpg

The 416 was in pretty good shape considering the logging trucks. We continued on 416 back to C then south to B and home again. 150kms today!

Anybody thinking of heading this way for some mid-week riding will be happy campers! Trails are in awesome shape - Thanks you to the Groomers of the Sno Voyageurs Club. There should be something on A Channel News tonight about the trails around here - they were out on the sled with the movie camera when we passed them!

:wavey:

Great Pics!!

Looks like snow highways!! :D

Great report and pictures. Thank you!

I am glad I came home on the east side of the lakes today. Sunny, cold and clear except for some squall activity near Sutton.

Great report and pictures. Thank you!

I am glad I came home on the east side of the lakes today. Sunny, cold and clear except for some squall activity near Sutton.

Glad you made it home safely - that was definitely the best way to go. The squalls and white outs are still bad around the Barrie area today - the wind isn't as bad as yesterday - but it's still dangerous driving. It's squalling as I type this - more snow on the way for these parts tonight and tomorrow - should make for even better trail conditions by the weekend - although they're pretty hard to beat right now!!!

Looks like you had a great ride Giddy UP! You might have seen me driving down the 400 at some point late this morning. Roads were crap, but I made it home safe!

Anyway, pictures are awesome ... trails look great.

Looks like Beauty trails Giddy-Up ! Gotta get down there this Sunday; keep them smooth for us !

Hey Mr. Mouse! Enjoy riding down in my neck of the woods! I am heading to Kearney to ride the Almaguin Trails 8-) Let me know if I can offer any suggestions regarding your "route".....don't want to have another one of these createphp.gif

Have a great ride!!!

Looks like Beauty trails Giddy-Up ! Gotta get down there this Sunday; keep them smooth for us !

OH NO! Time to leave town.

Archived