seek accomodation info Pefferlaw - S. Simcoe area

slomo

Noticed another post featuring riders from this area. Thought they or others may have noticed the following places on their travels and comment on proximity to trails, trail access etc. Might help revrnd with his accomodation guide as well as open things up for people who wanted to stay and ride in this area.

Here is the list with web sites if available:

Baldwin Motel

905-722-9066

23721 Hwy 48 Baldwin, Ontario L0E 1A0

Port Bolster Inn

Casey's Fish Huts

http://www.lakesimcoemessageboard.com/listing.php?idd=1108418323&pic=pic2 (copy and paste as all one line)

Driftwood Motel

Sutton, Ontario

http://www.driftwood-motel.com/

HARBOUR INN & RESORT CLUB

1 POPLAR CRESCENT

BRECHIN, ON L0K 1B0

http://www.harbourinnresort.com/index.htm

Park Motel In Sutton

905-722-9249

26925 Hwy 48 Sutton West, Ontario L0E 1R0

Peninsula Resort

202 Holmes Point Road

Pefferlaw, Ontario, L0E 1N0

http://www.peninsularesort.net/

(sled junk believes this place to have trail access once Pefferlaw River is safe)

SUTTON MOTEL

KITCHENETTES

26274 Highway 48,

just east of Sutton across from Ultramar

http://www.georginafishingseries.ca/Include/Sutton_Motel.shtml

Please add any I may have missed.

a bit rustic,but great value,Eaglewood Resort pefferlaw(http://www.eaglewood.on.ca/accommodations.htm),,,,,,this one is upscale and right on the river,Cobblestones

bed and breakfast(http://www.bbcanada.com/2207.html),not sure if this one is sled friendly but the Briars resort right on the lake(http://www.briars.ca/), :right_on:

Slomo, thanks for the info. Can you rate any of them?

Slomo, thanks for the info. Can you rate any of them?

Revrnd....started looking for new sledding areas and couldn't find much in the way of accomodation in the Simcoe south area.

Hoping some of the folks around there can contribute...not even sure if any of the businesses are on or close to the trails. Hopefully we'll get some specific info about places and add to your listings. Due to the ice fishing in the area, most seem to be open in the winter.

SUTTON MOTEL

KITCHENETTES

26274 Highway 48,

just east of Sutton across from Ultramar

http://www.georginafishingseries.ca/Include/Sutton_Motel.shtml

Some I would not keep my dog in.

That's what I was wondering about. If a motel has kitchenettes/efficiency units, it's usually renting to longer term residents & not necessarily a desirable accommodation for travellers.

I've never had to stay @ a motel in Oshawa, but the Cloverleaf (AKA "The Lucky Charm") that is just off the 401 @ the Ritson Rd exit sure isn't on the Michelin list.

Wildbill care to elaborate? I'll add the businesses, but I will note any to be avoided.

That's what I was wondering about. If a motel has kitchenettes/efficiency units, it's usually renting to longer term residents & not necessarily a desirable accommodation for travellers.

Have to gently disagree with you there....we are always on the lookout for kitchen facilities. Prefer to bring our own food and 'motel box' of utensils to control quality/fat content etc. and not waste time sitting around waiting to be served in restaurants. On some trips have brought our own microwave and have gotten pretty good at cooking most things in it.

For large families, dining out is too expensive and without cooking for themselves they couldn't afford a trip. For ourselves, decided we have to be more 'mobile' in terms of moving around for good sledding conditions and saving a few bucks here or there is not a bad idea. :icon_idea1:

We are not far from the south Simcoe area so might have time to drive around and check some of these places for trail access, attitude, etc.

In the meantime, if anyone has any others to add please add.

Have to gently disagree with you there....we are always on the lookout for kitchen facilities. Prefer to bring our own food and 'motel box' of utensils to control quality/fat content etc. and not waste time sitting around waiting to be served in restaurants. On some trips have brought our own microwave and have gotten pretty good at cooking most things in it.

For large families, dining out is too expensive and without cooking for themselves they couldn't afford a trip. For ourselves, decided we have to be more 'mobile' in terms of moving around for good sledding conditions and saving a few bucks here or there is not a bad idea. :icon_idea1:

We are not far from the south Simcoe area so might have time to drive around and check some of these places for trail access, attitude, etc.

I actually checked on the Park Motel years ago when we were having a family thing here. It actually looked pretty good and is always kept up (at least from the outside).

Not sure about the Sutton Motel but I do pass it and know where it is. None of these are really trail accessible but any that are on the lake or river are not to bad for access. Generally, the lake / River are ready for sledding before and after the trails around here, I believe. Ceyhoopers and OF7 are more knowledgeable about the waterways than I am.

There's always the Belvedere !

I seem to remember waking up there :oops:

now I am sure that that whole exp would most likely better forgotten,,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

It is a very nice restaurant now,,,,,but in it's day,who didn't know Larry,,,, :right_on::right_on:

Sounds like you've had good experiences, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Also, don't forget my list is for sledders of all types, guys, couples & families. Yes the Mo-Zee-On Inn in North Bay has rooms, but are you going to take the wife & kiddies there for Family Day weekend? Probably not.

I don't think I'd be too thrilled about rolling into a motel where my 2 place open trailer is worth more than most of the vehicles in the parking lot. (check out the motels east of the Soo along Hwy 17 by the Husky truck stop).

I don't think I'd be too thrilled about rolling into a motel where my 2 place open trailer is worth more than most of the vehicles in the parking lot. (check out the motels east of the Soo along Hwy 17 by the Husky truck stop).

most of the mom and pop motels,and even some of the bigger ones have closed along 17,I have seen most of them hang it up over the last 22 yrs,,,

LOL remember that strip well although there is (was) one nice place in that area Cedar or Pine Grove or similar where a single was $30 a night.

We've seen a few bad ones as well...the worst...after driving all day, checked in late and dark at a motel in Surrey B.C. They wanted your car keys or a $10 key deposit. Place was a dump...someone had even stolen the peephole lens from the door. Piled up a lot of furniture against it. Next day when we could see, there were a couple of cars on blocks in the parking lot!

Anyway, see if we can't get some info for next year....BTW thanks for your work on the lists!

LOL remember that strip well although there is (was) one nice place in that area Cedar or Pine Grove or similar where a single was $30 a night.

We've seen a few bad ones as well...the worst...after driving all day, checked in late and dark at a motel in Surrey B.C. They wanted your car keys or a $10 key deposit. Place was a dump...someone had even stolen the peephole lens from the door. Piled up a lot of furniture against it. Next day when we could see, there were a couple of cars on blocks in the parking lot!

Anyway, see if we can't get some info for next year....BTW thanks for your work on the lists!

i have stayed in Surrey plenty times with no incident,,,,stayed at the Quality inn,,,, :right_on::right_on:

http://www.choicehotels.ca/en/surrey-hotel-quality-british_columbia-CN652-en?gclid=COKhlujdkacCFUS5KgodulxJdQ&srp=RACK&tab=0&cid=4443438

Yikes!

You're welcome.

If your looking for trail access in the Sutton area I would suggest the Peninsula Resort. Allthough there is not much else close to them (restraunts, bars etc). I,ve never stayed there but it is right on the lake at the Pefferlaw river, both of which you can ride on a lot longer than the trails in this area and it does have a decent looking restraunt on site.

once on the lake you can easily get to the Barrie or Orillia trails.

Archived