So I got stopped by the OPP on the weekend

dweese

Ran across a guy last weekend at Maple Valley near Penetang. He was going to order custom numbers but then after reflection came up with plan B. The stickers the province gave him. He took an exacto knife and carefully carved out the Onatrio and the numbers then stuck them on his cowling. The blue numbers with a small white border looked quite sharp.

I got stopped today on my way to work by an OPP oficer in his car. He was very polite and didn,t give us a hard time. He stated he was looking for someone being an idiot on a sled and let us continue without having to produce a mit full of paperwork.

I got stopped today on my way to work by an OPP oficer in his car. He was very polite and didn,t give us a hard time. He stated he was looking for someone being an idiot on a sled and let us continue without having to produce a mit full of paperwork.

man I wish they would do more of that,,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

Ran across a guy last weekend at Maple Valley near Penetang. He was going to order custom numbers but then after reflection came up with plan B. The stickers the province gave him. He took an exacto knife and carefully carved out the Onatrio and the numbers then stuck them on his cowling. The blue numbers with a small white border looked quite sharp.

Yup but if you look at the law, those numbers are too small by standards so a cop out to make a name for himself would still give him a ticket.

Yup but if you look at the law, those numbers are too small by standards so a cop out to make a name for himself would still give him a ticket.

How can they be too small if they are the numbers issued by the MTO. The only difference is they didn't have the big white rectangle behind each number. They had a white border around each number.

Sunday

STOP officers in Elmvale - too busy writing speeding tickets, so just glanced at the trail permit.

Trail Patrol in Orillia - looked for trail pass and waved us through.

OPP in Penetang - full scan. License, ownership, insurance.

I haven't been 'stopped' three times in one day for some time. Last time it happened, I had to produce documents each time and it felt a little over the top.

Got stopped a couple Saturdays ago at 8pm just outside Ardbeg, wasn't another sled to be seen. We had just left an empty resturant so they were obviously looking for drinkers. None of the 4 in our group had anything. One OPP and one STOP officer. After a minute we realized we knew them and had a nice long chat, sure they were bored. They started to check the first sled but once the conversation started they didn't even bother. We were there quite a while, had a nice chat then went on our way.

Have to give them credit for standing out in the cold and in the dark!

A week ago Sunday we were stopped at D and 37 just north of Bracebridge. It's a busy intersection and a regular spot for stops and checks. That day it was manned by two OPP Officers who gave us a cursory glance at permits and valtags and said we were good to keep rolling. We ended up having a good 5-10 minute chat with them. They were interested in the trail conditions, where we were headed, where we were coming from and we were interested in how much traffic they had seen, predominate violations etc. A good chat with a couple of good guys.

Saturday we were accosted by three STOP officers who were abrupt, couldn't smile, couldn't talk except to grunt. Pointed at a spot in the snow directing each of us where to stop. Didn't say "you're good to go" or anything approaching civility just moved on to the next sled.

The vast majority of interactions I've experienced with OPP Officers have been sensible encounters.

The vast majority of interactons I've experienced with the Wannabees have been uncomfortable and detract from the pleasure of sledding. Maybe they should all take some of those Enlargement Pills we see promoted in spam mail and they wouldn't feel the need to strut their stuff on the trails.

Last winter I was stopped by 2 OPP officers in Whitney by the township garage. Looked @ my paperwork then had a bit of a chat about conditions, etc. Very pleasant to deal w/.

I'm not sure but I don't think there are many STOP officers in our part of Peterboro County as usually it's the OPP we see. The last STOP officer that I know of from the area recently died of cancer after being in jail for "historic" sex crimes. Any of you from the area (or Hockley Valley) probably are familiar w/ the case.

How can they be too small if they are the numbers issued by the MTO. The only difference is they didn't have the big white rectangle behind each number. They had a white border around each number.

Read the act it tells you the sizes of the number if you chose to use custom numbers. Cutting the numbers out of the MTO decal makes them custom numbers. Because now your MTO issued decal no longer meets MTO guide lines for standard issue plates/decal. Look it up its in e-laws, all MTO issue plates must have the word Ontario and be of a correct size and so on.

Archived