So I got stopped by the OPP on the weekend

dweese

I started this fresh so it didn’t get lost in the countless other topics about the placement of Plate stickers…Sorry it’s a long read but I had to fill in all the details.

So I'm heading back to the trailer last night around 6pm and it had just gotten dark. Leaving a wooded area for an open field I see 2 sleds coming at me. I was only running about 30km/h because of some bumps so I keep the speed low so these guys could pass me. About 100 years out I see the lead sled has 2 reds lights flashing on the front of it. So I stop and kept the sled running until these fine officers of the law got up to me, because lights go out 5 seconds after you shut the sled off I didn't want these guys to think I was trying to run, than run me over well I was stopped.

Both where very friendly, just wanted to know how my day had been and where I was off too now. Told them heading back to the trailer about 10mins up the trail. Lead guy got off his sled to check for my trail pass, than looked at the sled for the LIC sticker. All was good no problems and just before he sent me on my way, he told me I can't have my plate sticker on the tunnel. So I played a little dumb and said that’s where it was when I bought it (and it was) been there since 04 so I didn't know there was an issue. He told me nope has to be upfront. So playing dumb some more, I asked where should I put it, because on the GSX there is no place to put it because of the design and the graphics that are on the sled. He said to me, that there is a sub section of the snowmobile act that allows it on the tunnel but that’s only if there is no place on the hood. He pointed to a spot and said it can do there. Right in the middle of a factory graphic. Playing dumb some more I asked about putting a plate sticker over a sticker and he said no you'll have to removed the factory sticker first....

So I asked him if he could be explain this sub section to me, things seemed to be going friendly and it didn't sound like I was getting a ticket at this point so I figured I'd see what he would say to me. He explained that subsection was for sleds that doesn't have any flat body work to put the sticker so you can put it on the tunnel, he used the Yamaha phazer as an example. So if you have a spot even if you have to remove a factory sticker to make it fit that’s where it has to be. That’s why most people go with custom made numbers. The way he talked sounded like he has done his reading on it and wasn't just resighting some training guide he had been given.

So I told him, I guess I better go look at getting some numbers made this week, he said sounds like a plan and enjoy the run home. Told him to watch for the dear a few klicks down the trail as 2 had just jumped a crossed the trail in front of me. Everyone got back on their sleds and we went our separate ways....

So, that’s what an OPP on a sled on the trail told me. He was very nice about it, and talked like he knew and understood the law clearly. It may sound dumb or down right stupid to have to remove a factory sticker, but the explanation in the field made sense to me. Now maybe I could take it to court and try and fight a ticket if I ever got one. But now a days since LEOs are paid to go to court, the cop giving you the ticket will most likely be at court. Knowing what this guy knew I have a feeling the judge would side with him and I would not only be missing a day of work, but paying the fine too.

The law is worded in a way so it can be twisted as needed. Remember that..

So I’m off to get some numbers made this week…. :right_on:

You should not have to modify your snowmobile to accommodate the sticker.

Thats what I was thinking, but maybe thats why we have the option of custom numbers where everyone else has to have a plate

but maybe thats why we have the option of custom numbers where everyone else has to have a plate

The actually started cracking down on custom numbers a few years back since they were not technically legal. After some outcry, the laws were modified to allow them.

Similar explanation to what we were given with my daughter's sled. BTW, you may want to check that the custom numbers are, in fact, the right size to be legal. The custom numbers on all three of our sleds are not quite proper. On two sleds, the numbers are slightly small, and on the third, they are not very contrasting. They should be 2 inches high (50 mm?).

:headbang: at the cops LOOKING to charge people for something like the tunnel #s :crazy_grn:

I say do what the law requires and avoid the hassle. Maybe when you get pulled over for speeding one day, they may let you off because the sticker and permit were in the approved location, you didn't have a load exhaust and your headlight doesn't have a tint over it.

I say do what the law requires and avoid the hassle. Maybe when you get pulled over for speeding one day, they may let you off because the sticker and permit were in the approved location, you didn't have a load exhaust and your headlight doesn't have a tint over it.

:right_on:

:headbang: at the cops LOOKING to charge people for something like the tunnel #s :crazy_grn:

I agree, but it is their job to enforce the entire MSVA like/agree with it or not. Putting myself in this Officer's shoes, I'd have done the exact same thing. Point out and clearly explain the problem and judge their reaction. If they decide to argue and clearly show no signs of future compliance with the law then they receive a charge. dweese's reaction is what most likely kept him out of trouble. Politely, asked for clairification regarding the law so he can make his sled compliant for future rides. I figure that's what MOST cops out there are looking for regarding things like this not to hand out tickets. IMO you decide your fate based on your reaction.

I say this only for the guys actually riding sleds, the guys sitting in a cruiser at the end of a rail line with a radar gun whom have never rode a sled a day in their life are a whole different story, some are OK others out boost the ticket count.

They should be 2 inches high (50 mm?).

I think he said 4.5cm so that would be 45mm...Now I have to come up with a color and a location for them on my sled

here the law is plate on the left side of tunnel :right_on:

I agree, but it is their job to enforce the entire MSVA like/agree with it or not. Putting myself in this Officer's shoes, I'd have done the exact same thing. Point out and clearly explain the problem and judge their reaction. If they decide to argue and clearly show no signs of future compliance with the law then they receive a charge. dweese's reaction is what most likely kept him out of trouble. Politely, asked for clairification regarding the law so he can make his sled compliant for future rides. I figure that's what MOST cops out there are looking for regarding things like this not to hand out tickets. IMO you decide your fate based on your reaction.

I say this only for the guys actually riding sleds, the guys sitting in a cruiser at the end of a rail line with a radar gun whom have never rode a sled a day in their life are a whole different story, some are OK others out boost the ticket count.

I think you nailed it. If you don't give them attitude and are polite for small stuff like that you will probably go on your merry way being more informed than you were. I ran across two OPP on the trail on Sunday. One had been sledding for years and the other was fairly new to the snow patrol. They mentioned one person they checked who did not have the registration sticker on his sled. They told me they would have let him go with a warning and made an entry into their database should he get checked again and still not have it. The fool chose to lie to the police. He told them he had just gotten it and it must have blown off. A quick radio verification and the sled was not registered with the MTO under his name even. End result... no warning... no forgiveness... he now has a pricey ticket.

Dweese, this is a prime example of what the OPP should be doing on the trail. They noticed the numbers were incorrect, or illegal, but explained how to rectify it and didn't give you the $210 ticket. Again, a perfect example of a positive police presence on the trail. Unless someone is being rude or just an @ss, there is no need to hand out a ticket for something as minor as number locations.

There is enough room on the side of the hood on the GSX's to put custom numbers and even the plate renewal sticker. $60 and you should be good.

My wife received a $210 a few years ago for having the plate sticker on the tunnel of her GSX, just like yours. The officers were nice and polite and took the time to explain where the numbers should be located, same as the officer did with you. Then, they proceeded to write out a ticket even though we were polite and had a good conversation with them. They said the law is the law. That story made it into Snow Goer Canada to warn everyone.

Dweese, this is a prime example of what the OPP should be doing on the trail. They noticed the numbers were incorrect, or illegal, but explained how to rectify it and didn't give you the $210 ticket. Again, a perfect example of a positive police presence on the trail. Unless someone is being rude or just an @ss, there is no need to hand out a ticket for something as minor as number locations.

There is enough room on the side of the hood on the GSX's to put custom numbers and even the plate renewal sticker. $60 and you should be good.

My wife received a $210 a few years ago for having the plate sticker on the tunnel of her GSX, just like yours. The officers were nice and polite and took the time to explain where the numbers should be located, same as the officer did with you. Then, they proceeded to write out a ticket even though we were polite and had a good conversation with them. They said the law is the law. That story made it into Snow Goer Canada to warn everyone.

Based on the ambiguity of the law, a day in court would likely result in dismissal. When words like "Reasonable" are used, that is subject to interpretation. The court would determine intent.

I have the full license sticker on the rear most section of the tunnel. I replaced the console panel and did not feel it was reasonable to spend $60 on custom numbers when I had the big ugly Ontario Ministry provided sticker.

Now, custom numbers on the tunnel could be an issue??

:right_on::right_on:

For my sled, I just cut the numbers off of the plate stickers the Ministry gave me and placed them on the sides of my hood. Works like a charm.

I also read through the Motor Vehicle Act and apparently the annual registration sticker is supposed to be mounted on a white background with something like a 1 cm border around the sticker. How many people know that? I don't think the Police are fully aware of this as I've never been questioned on this, nor heard of anyone getting grilled about it on any of the forums.

I've used custom numbers on the rear of the tunnel for at least 10 years and have never been hassled, ever. I was actually on trail patrol with 2 Waterloo Regional Police officers on Saturday during our poker run and the one cop commented on how clean my sled looked. I have removed all the factory graphics, painted the panels and polished the tunnel for a completely different look. The cop said the numbers on the tunnel looked cool and that they would spoil the apperance of the sled if they were on the hood.... I think he was more of a sled-head than a cop! :shock:

My father in law and myself were fishing Sunday when the OPP and MNR pulled up to us. They were extremely nice. Asked us how the fishing was etc. etc. Checked my sled for my sticker then checked my father in law of course the arse doesn't have his new one on it's in the truck. So doing his job he radios in the numbers on the side of the sled to make sure everything is up to date. The numbers come back for a Artic Cat sled in Bellville ON. He rides a Yamaha in the Soo. It turns out the dealer or the person making the stickers made the wrong ones. But the dealer came through and made up some new ones for us. We all had a good laugh and away they went. Years ago we had problems with rude and arrogant MNR and OPP officers but I see things have changed around here. Nice to see.

My father in law and myself were fishing Sunday when the OPP and MNR pulled up to us. They were extremely nice. Asked us how the fishing was etc. etc. Checked my sled for my sticker then checked my father in law of course the arse doesn't have his new one on it's in the truck. So doing his job he radios in the numbers on the side of the sled to make sure everything is up to date. The numbers come back for a Artic Cat sled in Bellville ON. He rides a Yamaha in the Soo. It turns out the dealer or the person making the stickers made the wrong ones. But the dealer came through and made up some new ones for us. We all had a good laugh and away they went. Years ago we had problems with rude and arrogant MNR and OPP officers but I see things have changed around here. Nice to see.

I had that happen when I bought my car, deal had put the wrong plates on it and I had to go back. Everything was the same but the last number :rotflmao:

I bet it happens more than we think

I have the ministry stickers on my tunnel exactly as prescribed in the MSVA and have never been hassled for it. I ride southern Muskoka and have been pulled over LOTS and never once has the cop said my numbers were illegal.

...Playing dumb some more I asked about putting a plate sticker over a sticker and he said no you'll have to removed the factory sticker first....

I don't understand this one. As long as there is a flat spot, why is it a problem to put that ugly ministry sticker over a beautiful factory graphic sticker? Is there a sub-section that says the background should be one color only?

We got put in cuffs out on simco because one of the custom numbers was rubbed off on the hood and the number that was left was a hot sleds old number. Good thing one of the cops had a head on his shoulder and noticed it on the other side... haha

We got put in cuffs out on simco because one of the custom numbers was rubbed off on the hood and the number that was left was a hot sleds old number. Good thing one of the cops had a head on his shoulder and noticed it on the other side... haha

That's not cool lol. Would they not have given you a chance to pull the ownership out before they took out the cuffs and seen the numbers on the paper when they match it? Looks like they jumped the gun a little bit.

Time to be writing a letter to that cops brass. If he/she is making that bad a decision in a low risk situation like that they should not carry a gun.

I would be concerned over buying a sled with a sticker on the tunnel. Every sled for sale at the Toronto International show the last two years was a high mileage lease sled from Quebec and had a plate but no validation sticker on the tunnel midway between front and back. The plate I was told covered the holes used to mount the Quebec plate.

When we had our custom numbers made for the 04 Rev's we found the numbers on the Ontario plate were the minimum height allowed under the MSVA. I had the local sign shop scan the numbers and reproduce them only marginally larger. They also provided a square patch of white vinyl to mount the validation sticker on. The OPP officer in Bellwood ON took offense saying they were too small to see (btw white on black). We had to measure the numbers on another riders sled and compared them to ours before he walked away warning me the validation sticker was too far from the numbers. It was in the exact same location as the Ontario plate.

Archived