THIN ICE WARNING

Touring

URGENT ICE WARNING...

PLEASE BE ADVISED THAT AS OF JANUARY 16, 2011 THE ICE IN SOME AREAS OF THE CANALS LOCATED WITHIN THE LAGOON CITY COMMUNITY ARE UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS TO SLEDDERS.

AREAS OF SPECIFIC DANGER INCLUDE THOSE UNDER SMALLER BRIDGES OR OVERPASSES WHERE THE CANAL 'NARROWS' AND THE WATER FLOW INCREASES IN ORDER TO PASS UNDER THE BRIDGE OR STRUCTURE. THESE ARE WEAK AREAS WHERE THE INCREASED WATER FLOW PREVENTS SUBSTANTIAL ICE THICKNESS, UNTIL LONGER, EXTENDED PERIODS OF BITTER COLD AND SNOWMOBILE INACTIVITY.

THIS WEEKEND DELIVERED MUCH NEED SNOW (POWDER) WHICH CAN GIVE THE ALLUSION OF STABILITY IN THESE AREAS.

SIMILARLY ON LAKE SIMCOE, CAUTION SHOULD BE EXERCISED CLOSER TO SHORE OR NATURAL 'POINTS OF LAND' WHERE THE WATER IS NORMALLY SHALLOW AND ROCKS AND OUTCROPPINGS ARE PREVALENT. THE DEEP POWDER HAS HIDDEN THESE OBSTACLES AND AN ASSUMPTION MIGHT BE MADE THAT IT IS SAFE. RIDING FURTHER OUT FROM SHORE IS BEST, AGAIN WATCHING FOR CERTAIN AREAS WHERE SHALLOWS EXISTS AND ICE MAY SHIFT AND BE SHOVED UPWARD, CAUSING SHEETS OF ICE TO PROTRUDE UP 1 OR 2 FEET FROM THE SURFACE. AN AREA JUST OUTSIDE OF BAYSHORE VILLAGE ON LAKE SIMCOE IS TYPICAL OF THIS TYPE OF FORMATION.

LEAVING LAGOON CITY AND HEADING UP TOWARD ORILLIA ON THE 204 AND THE RAILWAY LINE IS AGAIN VERY LIMITED, AND NEEDS MUCH MORE SNOW TO FORM A GOOD BASE.

TOURING

Thanks for the info

Great info.

Thanks.

Also, Welcome to OC. You can find some great info here

Thanks, Touring - much appreciated !

I enjoy the run down to Lagoon City from Kahshe, off the B trail and through the Dalrymple area. Going back up on the lake would make a great loop but I haven't tried it yet. I hope we get some snow cover so those trails can open.

Have you got a Lagoon City Restaurant Review for us as well ? ? :-D

Have you got a Lagoon City Restaurant Review for us as well ? ? :-D

X2 - although for years of having heard references to the 'sewage lagoon' located not far from my childhood home, associations with the word 'lagoon' have not always been pleasant.

X2 - although for years of having heard references to the 'sewage lagoon' located not far from my childhood home, associations with the word 'lagoon' have not always been pleasant.

:rotflmao: Kind of brings new images to mind when hearing the title "Blue Lagoon" :mrgreen:

Your Dad tell you about that movie ? :-P

Nope...[you just know what's coming]...it was my grandfather. ;-)

Archived