Wasaga Beach Trail Report

sledjunk

I was planning on staying home last weekend and finishing up a couple of small projects around the house. About 11 PM on Friday, Moosifer phones and says he wants to go sledding. It really hurt when he twisted my arm so I said OK. We discussed where we wanted to go and where we would stay.

He arrived Saturday morning and we finalized plans to stay in Wasaga Beach as that would allow us to either do a loop towards the Barrie area or towards Collingwood.

We made reservations at the Saga Resort as it is very close to the open trail. As I said, I wasn't planning on going anywhere so it took a bit of time to give the sleds a quick check and load up. We figured that by the time we got to the hotel, we might have time for a quick ride that evening.

However, when we got there, we realized that the parking area was going to be difficult with the new trailer. the parking was behind the building but there was only a single lane dead end driveway back there and there would be no room to turn around. We finally decided that we would have to drive partway into the driveway, back out onto the street and then back into the driveway and down the lane to the parking area. So much for an evening ride!

We started off early Sunday morning for breakfast and then returned to pack the truck and get dressed. We headed off toward Collingwood with numerous decision points for our actual route. We were not sure how long the trip would take or what the conditions would be.

As it turned out, the trails were great! There were some sections that were windblown almost clear of snow and then other areas that were quite drifted. However, the conditions were great considering that this is still early season.

Some of the areas were quite spectacular.

DSCN0294.jpg

DSCN0295.jpg

Great lookout! Long way down!

DSCN0296.jpg

DSCN0298.jpg

Great view, too!

DSCN0297.jpg

DSCN0299.jpg

The trail markings in Collingwood were, well, absent, is the nicest way I can put it. The trail exits at Balsam Street and there is absolutely no indication of where the trail goes. We headed toward town as that is where other tracks led, but when we got to Montana's and CTC Gas Bar next door, we decided that this did not look like the trail as we were beside the sidewalk and there were no markings. We backtracked to the trail head and there was a little path going the opposite way. That brought us out to a road and at the intersection there were the old yellow arrows on the post near the traffic lights. Once we crossed the street, there were no other markings and it looked like we were on a lawn! We gave up and headed back to Montana's for a late lunch and then fuel at the CTC.

After lunch, we headed back toward Wasaga nwith the intention of maybe trying another short loop as we got closer to town. As we started down the loop, the trail had been pretty beaten up during the day so we gave up and called it a day.

Here is our route for the day.

Sled-110109-WasagaBeach.gif

All in all, not a bad day riding. Moosifer turned 18KKM on his sled but it seems that his sled didn't like the the rough section near the end of the day. That is the right trailing arm that has a "customized" shape.

DSCN0303.jpg

DSCN0300.jpg

I guess he's not riding next weekend :banghead::banghead:

Thanks for the report - have never ridden in that area. Sunday? And Today is Tuesday. :?:???:

4 times!!!! That no way to get your post count up! What's wrong? WB getting too close? :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Didn't get home until 1AM Mondayso we finished the ride yeaterday. Give me a break! :headbang::headbang::headbang:

Wonderful loop!

Is Wasaga "sled friendly"? Years ago, they had street signs with a picture of a snowmobile and a line through it. In hindsight, I believe that meant 'No driving on sidewalks". We weren't sure if it was a time restriction (i.e. no sleds after 10 pm), a general restriction or sidewalk issue.

Sledjunk's reports (and others on this forum) could easily appear in a snowmobile magazine.

Wonderful loop!

Is Wasaga "sled friendly"? Years ago, they had street signs with a picture of a snowmobile and a line through it. In hindsight, I believe that meant 'No driving on sidewalks". We weren't sure if it was a time restriction (i.e. no sleds after 10 pm), a general restriction or sidewalk issue.

Sledjunk's reports (and others on this forum) could easily appear in a snowmobile magazine.

We were in Wasaga in 07 as well and it was OK then. The trail comes right into town and there is a section that runs right down to the Boston Pizza and other restaurants. However, our favourite is right in the corner of Beck and Main where the trail comes in. It used to be called Beverly's on Main, I think but it is now Beech's Family Restaurant. Great food!

Thanks for the compliment!

Canuck is such a gentleman.

Thanks, STG. I try.

post-19774-0-29218800-1294788770_thumb.jpg

Wonderful loop!

Seems the 'trendies' have made a footprint there if you believe what you read. My very own sister has a condo in Collingwood but wouldn't let me use it if I was bringing the snowmobile. :rolleyes:

However, a great report by Sledjunk as usual. Have created a special folder to save all his reports - Sudbury- Mossytown-Colllingwood etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Wasaga is sled friendly for sure, we had epic snow this year and have great trail conditions right now. The east end is better for food and gas, the local beck st. trail can get beat up good on a weekend afternoon though. The cops ride the sidewalks, so am pretty sure its ok if you or I ride them. The beach run has great snow on it, even though its closed on the ofsc site. Prolly due to the storm drain ravines, so don't pin it too long or its a new front end for ya if you're lucky. The no sled sign on Mosley st. is 10 or 15 yrs old now, rule is in effect for about 2km, and the road runs parallel with the beach, so theres not much need to ride on that section anyways. Watch out for police radar just south of the club on road/trail out to stayner.

Cwood is semi-sled friendly - depends how you look at it. Ya the Cwood town trails are poorly marked, but if you follow them you can get gas and have a choice of many spots to eat. A lot of prominent people in Cwood sled - so most of the town trails are mainly for access to the main trails.

Best loop from Wasaga is to take the B111 out to the mountain, and link up/loop to the B109 and back to the beach for a 100 km ride. Hit Mylars in Singhampton for food/gas. The rail trail is a waste of time, unless you don't have time, and need to hurry. If you still need to burn some more gas, head to Phelpston from Wasaga and run a loop as far as Midland if you want to make it a long day.

Its been pretty busy round here on weekends, but ya semi-rarely see anyone on the trails on a weekday, depends what trail yer on I guess.

The beginning of our big dumps - Dec 8

150864_10150099296340845_629860844_7769445_1167526_n.jpg

151059_10150099296455845_629860844_7769448_842101_n.jpg

68255_10150099295885845_629860844_7769428_2477191_n.jpg

You guys have been 'green' for a while. Snow has been funneling in your direction. Great

advice.

:right_on:

Archived