Ice Conditions

ToSlow

sitting at a friends on the shore of Lake Simcoe,,,,and we see a headlight go pass,,,, :crazy::crazy::crazy:

totally unbelievable,,,,,, :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Really?

my friend said he seen a guy on a sled pulling kids on a tobaggon earlier in the day,,,,,, :banghead::banghead:

not long before someone goes ker-plunk,,,, :whatever:

With all the snow on the ice in the last couple days and varying temps I dare not try it out yet. The Maskenogue river in Keswick doesn't even have a track layed yet by some local redneck which is unusual. There isn't even frost in the ground yet..... I'm staying clear for now so the sleds are safe from me and my quad :)

With all the snow on the ice in the last couple days and varying temps I dare not try it out yet. The Maskenogue river in Keswick doesn't even have a track layed yet by some local redneck which is unusual. There isn't even frost in the ground yet..... I'm staying clear for now so the sleds are safe from me and my quad :)

Welcome to the forum!

Good idea to keep away from the ice for now. I can't see how it could possibly be safe yet.

Welcome to the forum!

Good idea to keep away from the ice for now. I can't see how it could possibly be safe yet.

Any tracks on the Fefferlaw River ? You guyz are often out there before there's even ice :-P

Welcome to the forum!

Any tracks on the Fefferlaw River ? You guyz are often out there before there's even ice :-P

Not Me!

There is ice forming on the section that I drive by but it is not completely covered as of Tuesday night.

2 huts off virginia beach,,,,few track on the Pefferlaw river,I walked down 2 days ago and there was 4.5 inches of good blue ice,no doubt it is close to 6 by now.Will walk down tomorrow and check,,,,,

Six Mile Lake has dams at the south end.

They occasionally take logs out to increase flow from the lake.

Lake ice becomes 'thin' (with air between former top of water and new water line).

NO advance warning.

That lake is not recommended early in the season.

Even during the season, stay on the tree line.

2 huts off virginia beach,,,,few track on the Pefferlaw river,I walked down 2 days ago and there was 4.5 inches of good blue ice,no doubt it is close to 6 by now.Will walk down tomorrow and check,,,,,

Four sets of tracks leading to the River, I am going to check the river tomorrow. But something tells me traffic will be busy on the River this weekend. Saw two guys running the Holland river today as they continued out of sight. I have to beleive Cey, probably 6" inches of good ice on the river.

Four sets of tracks leading to the River, I am going to check the river tomorrow. But something tells me traffic will be busy on the River this weekend. Saw two guys running the Holland river today as they continued out of sight. I have to beleive Cey, probably 6" inches of good ice on the river.

Big question is, how many sets of tracks were coming back?????

well the 4500 SS is back in the garage warming up and drying out .... even after a week of -25 c the ice here is still crap .

as I said before 2 inches of ice with 18 inches of snow is a bad thing. snow insulates the top water thus no real ice

our wabigoon winter ice road is not going to happen this year

was out with the local club pres last night trying to pack the slush down but it went from knee deep to a sunk sled ... gotta love the mustang survival suit

that being said stay on trails that dont cross water :headbang:

well the 4500 SS is back in the garage warming up and drying out .... even after a week of -25 c the ice here is still crap .

as I said before 2 inches of ice with 18 inches of snow is a bad thing. snow insulates the top water thus no real ice

was out with the local club pres last night trying to pack the slush down but it went from knee deep to a sunk sled ... gotta love the mustang survival suit

we never got snow here,so the ice is forming good,,,,is that 4500ss one of the buy one get one half price.Post some pics,,, :right_on:

we never got snow here,so the ice is forming good,,,,is that 4500ss one of the buy one get one half price.Post some pics,,, :right_on:

I will post pics when I warm up lol

paid 300 for it and it runs great (while idle)

I will post pics when I warm up lol

paid 300 for it and it runs great (while idle)

be careful with that sled in the snow,,,,,,,it hates it,,,, :mrgreen: they would get stuck on a freshly groomed trail.The clutch would engage at a very high rpm and burry the sled,,,, :mrgreen:

ok,walked 1/2 mile of the river,,,,

DSC00194.jpg

the top of the flutes is 5 inches,

DSC00197.jpg

DSC00196.jpg

there is 5 inches of blue along the shore,,,in the middle there is 4 to 5 inches,,,,,there is some slush forming and so after tonight there will be a minimum of 5 blue and 2 white,,,,,,, :right_on::right_on:

If I am not doing anything tomorrow I will venture out to the mouth of the river,,,,,on sled,,, :mrgreen:

Gary,the Maskinonge is not froze cause you all are peeing in it,,,,,,,, :coffeespit::coffeespit:

Gary,the Maskinonge is not froze cause you all are peeing in it,,,,,,,, :coffeespit::coffeespit:

You are right there.... I won't comment on the Pefferlaw river or Black river... ewww

I went out on Cooks bay yesterday and there are not bad coditions for sleds with all the snow. I got stuck a couple times. There are lots of slushy spots and I rolled over once when my front wheels dug in and put me sideways. Luckily I was going very slow but still got some minor damage to the quad. Was able to ride still after some repairs with zip ties and a hose clamp.

One of us went right through the ice just off shore and we spent a good hour getting it out.

There is going to be some drag races on the east side of Cooks bay Jan 1st.... hopefully the conditions improve by then.

You are right there.... I won't comment on the Pefferlaw river or Black river... ewww

I went out on Cooks bay yesterday and there are not bad coditions for sleds with all the snow. I got stuck a couple times. There are lots of slushy spots and I rolled over once when my front wheels dug in and put me sideways. Luckily I was going very slow but still got some minor damage to the quad. Was able to ride still after some repairs with zip ties and a hose clamp.

One of us went right through the ice just off shore and we spent a good hour getting it out.

There is going to be some drag races on the east side of Cooks bay Jan 1st.... hopefully the conditions improve by then.

how deep was the water??? :blink: did he go swimming??? :blink:

was out on the shoreline today,crossed over to the island,all in all it is not to bad,,,, :right_on:

looking back at Duclos point,,,

DSC00214.jpg

looking towards Virginia beach,,,,,

DSC00213.jpg

South shore Georgina Island,,,,,

DSC00212.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

hey Gary want to race that 4-wheeler across the lake for pinks,,,,I will take my 370 to make it fair,,,,,,,,,lol

Archived